Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello - I'm new and returning to Kalkan after a 5 year break  (Read 2500 times)

Offline ShazzaA

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Hi
Myself and my hubby are returning to Kalkan in May this year, after a 5 year break (the arrival of two scrummy children have prevented us from returning before).
We first went 10 years ago for our honeymoon.  After having two honeymoons cancelled in Egypt and Bali due to civil unrest, all that was on offer for us to depart after our wedding was Kalkan or Lanzarote.  The travel agent assured us we would love Kalkan, as he had been a regular visitor for many years.  He was right and we returned every year, the last year being 2003.
We are somewhat nervous about returning after such a long break (when I say "we", I mean me!).  We have such wonderful and special memories of Kalkan.  I get slightly nervous when I read about "the old town".  When we were last there, that''s all there was.  I''m looking for lots of reassurance that Kalkan is still as special as ever, even if it has grown.
We are staying at the Asfyia Hotel, as we always have done.  We are looking forward to dining at Omar''s Kitchen again, although I understand he has relocated.
Sorry to have waffled on so much.  When we first talked about returning to Kalkan to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary it seemed like a good idea, but I''m starting to have little doubts now!
Shazza

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1322.0

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Hello - I'm new and returning to Kalkan after a 5 year break
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »
Hi Shazza and welcome..!! I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.  The essential heart of the old town is still there...there is just a helluva lot of development up the mountains around the bay which I''m sure you will be stunned by....  However - the people are the same - the shops may have moved around a bit and so have the restaurants - but still the same stunning place and lovely food. - Omars is now up on the way to the thursday market just after the new Yali shopping centre on the left hand side as you go up the hill!!

Enjoy - I''m sure you will have a wonderful time!!

Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline ShazzaA

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 10:56:26 AM »
Thanks very much Felicity for your reassurance.  Like you say, the people are still the same. so I''m sure we''ll have a fantastic time.  5 weeks today and counting down..... ;D

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:07:22 PM »
hi shazza, I found kalkan only last year,and ended up going three times last year, and so far going back twice this year,I am sure things have changed a bit since you last visited,but I think you will still love kalkan.
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 02:13:20 PM »
 after 5 years?don''t be surprised if someone remembers you!! or does that only happen to naughty people? :-[ :P
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline ShazzaA

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 11:26:07 AM »
Thanks very much for all your words of support.  Only 10 days to go and I''ve got goose pimples just thinking about it!

I''d be surprised if we didn''t get recognised by someone!  We''ve had a few surprise phone calls from Omer of Omar''s Kitchen over the past 5 years, which has been nice.

My husband always laughs at me because I never forget a face.  Last year we were on holiday in Cornwall and I recognised a couple who were strolling along the pier at Looe.  They smiled at me, which convinced me even more that I knew them.  Not being able to work out how I knew them by myself, I asked them where I knew them from.  It turned out that we had met in Kalkan when we were on our honeymoon and had last seen them on our last visit to Kalkan when I was pregnant!  They were also hoping to return to Kalkan this May, so who knows.....

My hubby is looking forward to a large Efes (isn''t it great we can buy Efes in the UK now) and I''m looking forward to a Turkish gin and cherry juice.  Cheers  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Returning to Kalkan alone?

Started by Lauren on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 09:03:59 PM
by Chucky
xx
Returning to Kalkan in June

Started by Truffle1049 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 11:12:35 AM
by Melek
xx
Returning to Kalkan after 26 years!

Started by Jann on Introduce Yourself

16 Replies
Last post March 17, 2013, 07:20:34 PM
by Jann
xx
BREAK IN KALKAN

Started by chris on General Discussion

28 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 10:15:03 PM
by clarborough

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Olive Knot disease

Views: 2860
By: Chris S
Tlos View.JPG