Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The case of the rattling door handles and other mysteries  (Read 3925 times)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
The case of the rattling door handles and other mysteries
« on: August 11, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »
Well, we are back in Kalkan as you may have gathered, and despite everyone's doom and gloom about Kalkan changing, nothing much seems to have altered since last year. However the rumours of burglaries have not been exaggerated, and on our first night around 1am, I woke to hear somebody rattling the handles of all the doors around the villa.  OH got up and went to look around but there was nothing to be seen.  Perhaps the fact that he had nothing on scared the living daylights out of them!  We have since been very careful to lock up and balance baking tins on all the doors.  So we now lie awake all night waiting for the dreadful noise which never comes! 
Another mystery is how OH ("leave the packing to me darling") forgot to bring his swimming trunks.  He looked rather crestfallen when he realised, so to cheer him up I told him I had left all my earrings behind.  This cheered him up for about five seconds, but he then realised that a girl couldn't be expected to have no earrings for a whole holiday in Kalkan, so it meant a trip to the jewellery shops to buy a pair!
 One significant change that we have noticed in Kalkan is the appearance of an epidemic of tiny dustpans and brushes in the restaurants.  These appear between courses and sometimes between mouthfuls! We first experienced this in Agora on our first night, where the food was delicious and the service excellent, even if sometimes overwhelming!  Our second night we went to Chillies, where the performance was repeated and OH asked the waiter why they brush the tables so much? The waiter replied "because you make so much mess!"
On Tuesday we met up with Bob and Jayne, Hobbo, Chris the Spark and his lady Bernie.  It was great to meet hem and we went to Dionysius which has fabulous views from the roof terrace.  We got so engrossed in conversations that we completely forgot to hook up with Antler and Lizilu on whatsapp.  So apologies there folks.  There is another meet up at Kleo tonight, so more on that later. Meanwhile it is the call to prayer which signals time for another Efes. Life's so hard isn't it? And not one emoticon!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9990.0

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
Re: The case of the rattling door handles and other mysteries
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »
Please say Hi to Durali & Hal......we'll be there this time next week!

PW
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 12:38:58 PM »
OMG how scary glad u can see the funny side, made me LOL at your OH and his missing trunks hope he can buy some otherwise he be scaring more that just the burglars  >:D glad you enjoyed Agora they are doing really well for their 1st season. Have to agree about the sweeping of the tables I find it quite irritating when we were in marmaris they even had little electric ones  ::) another reason not to go back there. Say hi to durali and hal from us too (Chris and Eric) our 1st drink will be taken there on 27 Aug - cannot wait love kleo bar. Enjoy the rest of yr hols.

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 03:16:56 PM »
When we were in Kalkan earlier this year my OH insisted on locking the bedroom door - in case of burglaries, I thought he was being over cautious, but since then I now think it was a good idea, and as we are hiring the same villa again in October - all doors will now be locked!  Re the dustpan and brushes, not sure if many of you will remember Kennet who used to work at Extinct (now the Rose restaurant) - he always had one on the go, and we used to joke him about it,  anyway, on our last evening he presented us with one to take home - everytime I use it I think of Kalkan and Kennet!  -  actually they are very useful!

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 07:06:37 PM »
Nice to hear from you Skunk!! When we ate in Chilies last year they were obsessed with brushing the table!! Lovely food though and lovely guys. Enjoy the meet up tonight at our favourite bar, Kleo.
Nicky

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:23:03 PM »
You're forgiven skunk!!  ;) glad you are having a fab time. Scary about the burglaries and your naked OH  :o made me giggle  ;D has he bought some budgie smugglers  ??? Lots of love nd emoticons  ;D ;D :) ;D >:D

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 09:36:33 AM »
These tales of break ins - attempted or actual - are making me panic a bit. I will be staying in a villa all on my ownsome and I think I would probably have a heart attack if I heard someone attempting to enter my property while I was in bed. When there are two of you then you probably feel more able to confront intruders but as someone who is the size of a jelly baby I don't think I'm going to scare anyone off  :'(
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 09:59:05 AM »
I'm sure you'll be safe but for peace of mind maybe you should lock the bedroom door and programme the Jandarma number into your phone and set as a fast dial.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
A simple fix is the small rubber wedges you can buy in any decent hardware shop...simply wedge it in tight when the door is shut...no matter how hard you try and push the door you will struggle to open it with a wedge in place......another option is to wire the handle up to the mains power...but this might be seen as a bit extreme   ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »
I will lock the bedroom doors at night misty. I will not just lock mine, but the others too so it looks like the entire villa is occupied - maybe by a travelling wrestling team ;D  I also have a bag alarm (I bought it to attach my iPad to my bag after I was mugged on the Tube) and I thought I might rig that up to the bedroom door handle so that if anyone turns it 120 decibels will tell them to scarper.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 04:10:26 PM »
You can get a door wedge that will sound a 115dB alarm if the door is opened (http://www.amazon.co.uk/AUDIBLE-DOOR-WEDGE-110DB-ALARM/dp/B004VFLXIS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1344784058&sr=8-4), similarly there are small devices that will fit in the door jamb or window that will do the same.  These are inexpensive (generally under £10).

They are intended primarily for single female visitors in hotels, but, lets face it, we're all vulnerable to rogues and undesirables...

The Big Question is, what do you do when you leave the apartment or villa unattended (like when you're enjoying the delights of Kalkan).  you can arm the doors and windows but it'll be the main door that they'll jemmy.  And who would react to an alarm anyway?

Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 06:33:13 PM »
Good point...we hide the passports and a credit card somewhere in the villa...that's all you need to carry on with your holiday and also get home. I feel you are also right about an alarm ringing when you are out...can't see anyone reacting to it.....if its a small portable one as discussed any intruder will just immobilise it on entry..... >:(

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 07:31:19 PM »
Flying out on Monday. Wish I could bring along my dog - he's a big labradoodle who barks ferocially at any passers by or potential intruders, but in reality would most likely lick them to death. Maybe we could borrow one of the street dogs >:D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
Oh Skunk, this sounds very worrying...I'm amazed you can laugh it off :) Its awful that its coming between you and your sleep but I did laugh about your OH's nakedness ;D
I love that trick about leaving earrings in the UK....I'm going to plot to leave something behind next year like that just so I can buy new - not that I need an excuse :)
Sounds like you are having a wonderful time, I'm soooohhh jealous. Have you been to look at the cottage yet? Say hello to Eyup for me when you do :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
In Case Anyone’s Interested

Started by Pompeyalbie on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2023, 05:33:21 PM
by Kevin Norwich
xx
Where to buy an entrance door

Started by chrissy1 on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post December 08, 2016, 10:00:07 AM
by Mayday1
xx
Water, or lack of as the case may be!!!!

Started by Bazzer on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 09:27:38 PM
by felicity
recycled
Buying Wine by the Case

Started by bankieken on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

10 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 04:12:18 PM
by mark

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Bodrum

Views: 3287
By: blondie
Panoramic Kalkan