Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Got The Bug  (Read 5220 times)

Offline Neil and Denise

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Got The Bug
« on: August 18, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »
Hello all,just like to say what a wonderful time we had in Kalkan and yes we will go back.Have been to Turkey 4 times before but nowhere as good as this great place.Favourites were the restaurant called Muzzakka at the harbour and for fast food has to be Hunkers.Our villa was stunning (Villa Sena),no fault with this place,5 Star at a 3 Star price and within 3 minutes walk of the Moonlight bar.We had a day at Patara Beach,the OH and I,think the others were a bit peeved when we got back and we told them how nice the beach was.A day at Kas was good,told the OH to choose herself a coat and i would treat her,chose one,agreed a price,OH says we will come back later,went for a few drinks,got drunk,forgot about coat,guess who was in the dog house,Best day we had was on a boat that we hired called Muddy,the captain called Fatty was hilarious,we caught our own fish that his chef cooked for us,the best we have ever had.Favourite bar was Yali,loved going in there during the day to watch the cricket and sink a few.We never had a bad meal and everybody was nice.So much more to see so we will have to go back,Also a big thankyou to all the people who have posted on this forum as we gathered so much info from here.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10030.0

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
Re: Got The Bug
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 03:04:02 PM »
So glad you enjoyed Kalkan Neil and Denise! Another one bitten by the bug!! ;) ;)
That was a very handy location for your villa being 3 minutes from the Moonlight bar, we've had many a drink in here people watching. We also like Mussaka on the harbour, we've always found the food to be good in here.
Guess you'll be booking for next year then! :) :)
Nicky

Offline Neil and Denise

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:11:17 PM »
Fully booked up next year with Dubai and Northern Cyprus,seriously considering next Christmas though.If not then 2014 definately.Have heared that it is still a nice place to visit at Xmas,will have to be a hotel though.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 07:13:11 PM »
Hi Neil and Denise.  So glad you love kalkan. We are into our 3rd week now and are having am amazing time. We ordered a take a way from hunkar tonight. It arrived in 11 minutes was yummy and cost about £10!  Can't get better than that!

J

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 09:18:11 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it N&D. Mussaka is a favourite of ours too.

Offline Neil and Denise

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 05:02:30 AM »
Glad you enjoyed your kebab Bob and Jayne,we watched them being made when we were in there and the chef gave us a plate full of donner,delicious.On our 1st night we lost track of time and ended up there as it was the only place that we could get food from,they were just shutting but opened up the kitchen for us,we told the rest to go back to the villa and we would come back with the take away when done.Fair play to 2 of the lads in there,they gave us a lift back on 2 scooters and wouldnt even take any money.Never seen a restaurant fill up as quick as Mussaka,we were the 1st ones in there and within 45 mins there were people waiting for tables,never felt under pressure to finish our meals though,would be great to bottle the place and bring it to our town,we would be in there every night.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:00:54 AM by Neil and Denise »

Offline dancing ninja

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 08:17:57 AM »
Hi everyone,
                   We are here in Kalkan and now into our 2nd week and went to Hunkars yesterday for lunch. I have to agree that the food is amazing as well as the price and very busy .
 But now my daughter has come down with the wrong sort of Bug and is now quite ill so I think they need to practice their hygiene a bit better.

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 10:53:47 AM »
I really sympathise with your daughter, after getting campylobacter food poisoning on holiday in Kalkan last year that lasted for 6 weeks and it really isn't any fun.  The only thing I would say though is how do you know that she fell poorly from Hunkar? 

When I was ill, I know where my last meal was eaten but I certainly wouldn't be criticising them on a public forum.  When I researched into my food poisoning I found that the symptoms can take between 2 and 5 days to develop so I didn't know where I picked it up from.

I'm not saying that your daughter has campylobacter, it could be any other infection, but in my humble opinion I think that it is unfair to publicly accuse a restaurant of causing illness without any proof.

Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 11:04:48 AM »
Stomach problems are fairly commonplace in Turkey ninja - people don't talk about 'Turkish Tummy' in the same breath as 'Delhi Belly' for nothing - but your daughter's bout of illness could have resulted from many things and not just food let alone the food served in a particularly restaurant. I've been pretty lucky in my travels around Turkey but a group of friends of mine holidaying in Kalamar Bay last year were all terribly ill one after the other.  There was nothing in particular to tie their symptoms together as they frequently went off and did their own thing, eating and drinking in different places. I wish your daughter a speedy recovery because such an episode can really ruin a holiday, but unless all who ate the same food as your daughter that night went down with something within about an hour of eating then you can't really point the finger of blame with any accuracy.
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline TCTRAVELLER

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 11:54:25 AM »
Sorry to hear that your daughter is poorly - hope she recovers quickly.

I can say with 100% confidence that I have travelled to many places around the world and have had the odd dodgy tummy etc. I think of myself as being quite sensitive. BUT I have travelled to Kalkan over 10 times during the last 2/3 years and can honestly say that I have never had as much as tummy ache, never mind anything else. I think the standard of hygiene and cleanliness in what is sometimes very cramped conditions and hot kitchens is quite incredible really.

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 12:08:51 PM »
I always assume holiday stomach upsets are more to do with the sudden change in climate/lifestyle/diet and the mineral content of the water than hygiene or actual food poisoning.  I suffered really badly the first time I went to Turkey, aged about 9, but have generally been OK since.

Obviously food poisoning is more serious than a run of the mill holiday stomach upset which I know a lot of people suffer from for at least a few days whenever they travel abroad.

Offline dancing ninja

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 01:43:25 PM »
Thank you everyone for your good wishes and I respect your views but this does not detract the fact they do need to step up their hygiene , in my opinion .

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 02:15:44 PM »
Sorry to hear your daughter is not well....so miserable on holiday? If she doesn't feel better soon then a visit to a doctor or pharmacist may be a good idea. My daughter was really poorly once and a visit to the doctor for a prescription soon sorted her out....that and the advice to eat natural yoghurt with chopped banana, peach and salt! Did the trick!

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 02:26:08 PM »
I know lots and lots of people that eat at Hunkar and get takeaways from them too.Never heard anyone complain before about their hygiene standards.Was there somethıng specific that caused your daughters illness that they need to know about?
Many people visıting Kalkan find the heat and water can upset their stomach very easily,especially this tıme of year.

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 03:29:43 PM »
I had a really really bad upset stomach last year then a visit to the pharmacy on Kalamar rd bottom end near Corner rest and the roundabout sorted me out with sickness tabs, some anti biotics and tablets to stop the diaorrhea and was right as rain again in 24 hours it was brilliant.

Offline dancing ninja

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »
Amber, as I have said in my first post I found the food to be very good and in no way am I trying to assassinate its reputation .
But there were a lot of flies and lack of washing hands when working with meat and then with salads . Babs thanks for your advice will do that .

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »
In support of dancing ninja, when we visited this place we also found there to be a lot of flies - imho more than you see in other similar places. Thought we may have caught it on an off day which can and often does happen but we haven't ever been back so can't say if it has changed at all. I am aware it gets rave reviews on here though and everyone seems to love the food but we didn't think the food was anything special either. Hope the sickness is over soon.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal