Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Yeah, I'm proper pi** ed off  (Read 8896 times)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Yeah, I'm proper pi** ed off
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »
So a man who spends much of his working life in and around Kalkan and lives less than 10 minutes away should receive little or no sympathy or support from the people of and in Kalkan?   Does anyone know whether or not the dog was a street dog or not - does it matter which vague category it fits into if it attacks some on the street?  Imagine the problems if the dog had chased and bitten someone whilst crossing village borders.  Oh, the paperwork.

KAPSA do an excellent job in and around Kalkan and anyone that reads their Facebook page knows just how much they care about animal welfare worldwide, from tiny kittens looking for homes in the village to the needless slaughter of much larger and more majestic beasts across the globe.  I believe that their local expertise would be very useful in dealing with this dog, if ever identified, however strongly the relevant local authorities feel that this should be.  For those that worry, their input might just make a differene and stop the angrier locals of Saribelen from taking unnecessary quick and final action when another solution might be more reasonable.  Perspective is called for from everybody.

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 04:58:45 PM »

Those who care, care for all, two-legged and four-legged and winged and finned.

A Turkish saying comes to mind, loosely translates as "many offer pity, few give bread..."

Totally agree with everything you say, Thor, particularly the above! I've not heard that Turkish saying before but it's very true. 

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
I am sure that many who know Kenan will do what they can to help, rather than try to sweep his dog-caused misfortune under an overpriced Turkish carpet to suit their own agendas.  Re earlier posts about setting up charities, numerous events have taken place here over the years to support local people, young and old, but maybe these are not adequately promoted for most people's purposes.  I know of several that have provided equipment and support for those that have had accidents, particularly last summer's stupendous swim from the islands to the beach.   Any further comment might tempt me to promote these kind of events more, to the detriment of other charities, who also do a great job, very much including KAPSA.  I wanted to end with an English proverb but thought that writing 'Many talk balls but only a few have any' would probably get me barred.  One can only hope.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 11:54:41 AM »
Well said eniste!

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 08:18:10 PM »
Quite surprised that this hasn't been locked yet, given EK's stricter moderation policy, i.e. anything that concens controversy, difference of opinion, plusses and minuses ...

But here goes  ... as a forum we seem to be becoming polarised, much like UK politics, in our response to random incidents. A man is knocked off his bike and bitten by a dog. Jump on board the anti-dog faction, dragging everything that Kapsa does or defends into the equation. Jump on board the dog defenders - Kapsa is doing this and that, the custodian of all innocent creatures both here and abroad. OK, I may be exaggerating but just trying to get a point across.

What does strike me is how arrogant some of the posts come across as, i.e  imposing opinions on a foreign locality much like nineteenth century imperialists. Villa owners you may own property but have no right to impose opinions on the local status quo, and that includes the treatment of street dogs. This is not our country. We are only guests.

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 08:33:22 PM »
Unlike the first poster on this thread, I consider it important to know the facts before making rather silly and unsubstantiated claims.

I am fortunate to be a personal friend of Kenan and we went to see him after the accident. I  know the facts of the incident as recounted by Kenan himself. It helps that we speak Turkish, so during our conversation, nothing was 'lost in translation'

The accident took place near his house. He knows the owner of the dog. He bears no animosity towards the dog or its owner. He certainly does not want it destroyed. Kenan is a dog owner and accepts that sometimes, some dogs chase vehicles. This dog was free because it is the wish of the owner that it should not be tied up.

This consequences of this unfortunate event have been taken care of locally. It is completely outside the jurisdiction of the Kalkan Belediye as Kenan's village is nearly 10 km from Kalkan and it is nothing whatsoever to do with KAPSA.

Kenan has received many offers of help. The help has come from a range of people, some of whom are indeed KAPSA members.

As Eniste says, the community in Kalkan, Turkish and non-Turkish actively supports a large number of good causes. All the KAPSA members I know who live here are as active in fundraising for these causes as they are for animal welfare.  You may not know about all the fundraising which goes on because often we choose to contribute discreetly in order to cause minimum embarrassment to the recipients of those funds.

Kalkan also has a very active charitable foundation, the Kalkander Association which supports a
large number of students from poorer families through further education. Many KAPSA members are also active in the Kalkander Association.

Those of us who live here as permanent, full time residents,  speak the language and understand the culture are astonished that onelove could write such complete twaddle and show such a lack of understanding of how life here really works.

So as Thor has said onelove, perhaps it's time to consider the error of your ways and make amends for that silly post by giving a nice cash donation to Kenan. I don't know what the appropriate Turkish saying is, but the English one is 'put your money where your mouth is'

Why don't you show us all what a generous fellow you are?

Lantana

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 08:49:28 PM »
Thank you for that measured and somewhat more factual response Lantana. Common sense but very refreshing all the same. Thank you.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »
Thanks from me too :)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 09:21:16 PM »
And me. Phew!

Offline Cajaran

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 09:45:25 PM »
I think this thread has run its course.

Poor Kenan - I feel very sorry for him for what has happened re the dog, especially as last summer he lost a lot of his income due to having to undergo an operation.

Personally I feel if everybody who met him, regardless of whether they want to buy his nuts or not, could just give him 5 or 10TL for just being the character he is in Kalkan, which isn't a lot in GBP, then that would be great.

I remember somebody commenting on KTLN that they had visited Saribelen and were welcomed in by Kenan and his family for lunch and they said what a humbling experience it was e.g. seeing how he lived with his family - that particular article brought tears to my eyes.

I hope he is doing well but please enough is enough.  I think he would be extremely happy to know that everybody cares about him and I hope I can relay that to him when we see him next, in our rubbish Turkish.  But if he knew about all these pointless comments he would just shrug his shoulders, be off with his nuts, laugh and smile - that is Kenan's way - not wanting any fuss.

Offline kalkanview

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 104
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
I see no reason why onelove should do anything, his/her comments were not aimed at the victim?

I am glad he has forgiven his neighbour but you have to say there was a lot of reaction to the terrible dog poisonings on the forum some of it rather hysterical and the lack of responses to this incident after it was posted on KTLN is a clear comparison.

Also although the incident was outside Kalkan it is still very relevant.  Many Kalkan dog owners also allow their dogs to roam around the town all day to join their feral cousins and since it is a regular  occurrence for dogs to chase vehicles then the above incident illustrates very well the real dangers in Kalkan.

Again, I hope the Belediye act soon to protect its citizens and tourist industry.

Offline Cajaran

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Kalkanview - I hope you didn't interpret my comments re giving to Kenan as from Onelove alone, as I did say from "everybody" in my earlier post.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 05:53:30 AM »
Thanks for the post Lantana and sharing your information with everyone on the forum.

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 08:15:35 AM »
Thanks Lantana, good post. I agree lets lock this now.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 09:20:21 AM »
I agree....enough!
Thanks for the info Lantana

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 11:25:50 AM »
Why do you want it locked  ???
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 12:32:32 PM »
Post is being locked now.. looks like everyone has made their opinions known..hopefully  ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Proper funerals for ex pats

Started by zola on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 01:12:51 PM
by Islands
xx
Would anyone like to see a "proper" live music venue in Kalkan?

Started by MartynE on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

55 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 09:55:39 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Harbour

Views: 2553
By: turkeyfan
Matterhorn