Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Pelicans  (Read 4807 times)

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
Pelicans
« on: January 02, 2008, 04:33:56 PM »
For anyone currently in Kalkan, wanting to see some unusual wildlife, there is a pair of pelicans in the main harbour in Kas. They appear to be completely unfazed by humans and come out of the water to check whether visitors have any interesting, fishy tidbits for them. They are very large and quite beautiful. We stood less than a metre away from them as they groomed themselves, they twist their necks 360 degrees and their bills are amazingly long. When not waddling along the harbour wall they are swimming in and out of the fishing boats, very inquisitive and apparently very much at home.

We watched them for half an hour today, it was a wonderful start to the New Year, a reminder, if we needed one, of how lucky we are to live here as guests in this community with its stunning natural beauty and abundance of wild life.

So for a sight to fill your heart with joy, take a trip to Kas.

Lantana

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=965.0

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
Re: Pelicans
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 04:38:45 PM »
If only I could Lantana! Charlie

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 05:44:29 PM »
Lantana - any idea if they will stay there - or is it a passing phenomenon - its just I come out on Saturday (can''t wait!!) and would love to catch a sight of them - I''m sure that I''ll be headed off to kas for something - also - I presume when you say ''main harbour'' you mean the one right in the town (ie: the 2nd harbour you come across when you drive from Kalkan..)

Cheers!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Shirley Burley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 06:01:43 PM »
The pelicans were there in early December wandering in and out of the cafe we were sitting in, but a gentleman there took it upon himself to make a bit of a sideshow of them by teasing them with fish and making them chase him around - he never actually gave them any fish and most of the people in the cafe were quite shocked by his behaviour, rather than enjoying the ''show''.  After we had a few words he did give them all the fish and wandered off with his tail between his legs.

Lantana is right though, they are magnificent birds, I had never seen one in the flesh before and it was wonderful to see them so close up and looking so healthy.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 06:03:44 PM »
Wow, how lovely, we were there last week , and by the harbour a couple of times and there was no sign of them, they are a beautiful bird and for one so large very graceful. Bet they are causing alot of interest.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Kim

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 08:01:49 PM »
How lovely!  Sorry we can''t be there.  If anyone can get a photograph posted onto the site, I for one would love to see them.  The last time I had the pleasure of seeing one was in the garden of a hotel in the Lake District during a hot spell in July.  He stayed around for about 3 hours and caused a fair bit of attention!

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 08:44:40 PM »
Yes, we saw them in early December...lovely!
Em
Em

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 09:05:13 PM »
Having done a bit more research, I have discovered that they are Great White Pelicans, quite rare and a protected species as their numbers are rapidly dwindling because they are killed by fishermen. At this time of year, they should be in Africa where they spend the winter. It appears that these two liked the area so much they decided not to leave.  Sounds familiar.......

Lantana

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 05:44:12 PM »
I''ve never seen pelicans in this area before, but there was one some years ago which had taken up residence at a restaurant in Cyprus. It regularly wandered amongst the tables, both outside and inside, and happily mooched fish from the patrons.

Shirley Burley, it was one very feisty bird - if it took it into its head to be annoyed with anybody, (which it did fairly often) it shot out its neck at quite astonishing speed and gave them a good peck with its powerful beak. Your irritating gentleman was lucky he didn''t get a nature study lesson in "the behaviour of pelicans" he wouldn''t forget in a hurry!

Rushing to get the camera out now....

Offline Mr T

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 07:26:35 PM »
Hi All, have just uploaded a photo of the Kas Pelicans on the gallery, taken on Boxing Day (should be on soon).  Hope you like!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »
Remember seeing them outside a restaurant in Paphos, Cyprus. Impressive indeed.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 08:45:58 AM »
Mr. T.  That photo is super - thanks

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Just chillin''

Views: 4083
By: Pebble
Heading back to Kalkan