Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler's Day Two: Mussakka and Wet Fish  (Read 3455 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Antler's Day Two: Mussakka and Wet Fish
« on: June 10, 2012, 06:56:32 AM »
We couldn't drag ourselves away from the patio last night, at the end of Day One. We had only arrived at 2am and already, it felt like we had been here for ages.
But a quick turn around and a steady walk down the hill into Town, hoping a taxi would come by to speed up the journey. No such luck! So we were 40 minutes late for our 9pm booking at Mussakka. No worries, Antler's table had been remembered from last year and there it was.
Mrs A and Ollie pretended to look at the menu but I could have bet a grand that they would be having Summer Steak, which they hadn't stopped talking about all winter. I was determined to have either Paella or their signiature dish, but caved in at the thought of Summer Wok (tender pieces of lamb and vegetables, served over a stove).
 And of course, "definitely not having a starter tonight, so I can enjoy the main course to the full" became 2 starters to share - one Calamari, one Creamy Chicken Livers. And a bottle of red.
What I like about Mussakka, is, the food is so balanced to enjoy in these temperatures. The summer steak, dressed with a slightly sweet balsamic dressing and pine nuts, is so easy to eat late at night and yet not make you feel stuffed.
Kitty and Mehmet came over for a chat as the restaurant emptied and one Irish Coffee just became another......
There was no way we would be walking back up THAT hill, so, outside The Pirat, Nice Turkish Man offered, very kindly, to call the Taxi Rank and a few seconds later, Mehmet was there, whisking us back up to the villa.
Of course, we should have gone to bed, if it were not for that view - and Skype going off. Eldest daughter and Co were on line and needed a virtual tour of where they would be staying later in the week. "This is the grand marble staircase, here is your bedroom and this is your en suite. Here is your balcony......" says he, walking backwards with the Tablet around the wrong way. She even got to see what was in the fridge, before gasps of awe as the illuminated pool came into view. Modern technology.
So here we are on Day 2. At some stage we will head to Adams Place for a late Sunday Lunch, which will be anything but a Sunday lunch, and if we cannot drag ourselves away from the patio and view again, will probably end up being a late Sunday dinner. Who cares?
But first, after breakfast, we are going in hunt of fresh fish, way up the hill beyond the D400. Fresh, chunky sea fish that I can use in Paella and on the BBQ. Mehmet from Jasmine will help us find this small Market and we will see what fish is in season.
Yes, after today, Restaurant Casa Mia opens here at Villa Kirmizi Lale and Antler's getting his chef's hat on.

Happy Sunday!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9575.0
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:04:08 AM by antler »

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
Re: Antler's Day Two: Mussakka and Wet Fish
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 12:47:48 PM »
Mehmet came soon after 11am, and just as I thought I would hop in the front seat and shoot up that great big hill, to the Akbel Market, there he was, on his motorbike. I hopped on the back, tangling my sandals up with the exhaust pipe. So glad I had my extra loose CK's on, as we hit the potholes up towards the D400.
After 2 or 3 minutes, I almost began to enjoy the experience, were it not for the grinding of my teeth and clenching of my butt cheeks.
We passed the odd car smashed into a tree - on a straight road - and far down beneath us, we could see the whole of Kalkan Bay slipping into the distance. I wanted to get off the world.
We arrived in the square at Akbel, and I would have hopped off and lept for an apple tea, were it not for the cement sticking my groin to the plastic seat of Mehmet's bike.
The fishman was so patient and coped with my ignorance and lack of Turkish. I did the best I could, trying not to shout or raise my arms, in true Benidorm style, settling for 6 Sea Bream - and one sprat, that took the bill from TL39 to TL40.
While the fish were being cleaned, Mehmet and I had an apple tea, in the village square under a tree. Such a luxurious way to spend a lire for 2. He had a fag, I had a heart tremor thinking of the journey back down.
Mehmet hung the fish on the bike, and I hung my body on the back of his and prayed for forgiveness as we fell off the edge of the world, catching my heart in my throat as we crossed the D400. I thought we might land at the Indigo Beach Club, had it not been for two enormous pot holes, high above Yali, just south of Mars.
I shook Mehmet's hand hard (I think?) and my knees shook harder as I took my catch into the kitchen at Vila Krimizi Lale and fell onto the sofa.
A tin of tuna would be fine for lunch?
Steve

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:09:47 PM »
 :D Your post has just given us such a laugh, even though it is pouring here in not so sunny Dorset!!! How are you coping with the cooler weather in June???  8)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »
that made me laugh out loud, Antler...hilarious ;D ;D ;D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
I think I will have to settle for a tin of Tuna, Antler.   My nerves are not up to a journey like yours to Akbel!!!

Have you tried the fresh fish place just behind the car park?   Walking distance from your place.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 02:24:05 PM »
That's the one I told you about when you were asking about Turkish recipes earlier in the year.  Save all that hassle for you!!!

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 05:05:20 PM »
Hi All, coping quite well with the heat and lack of humidity. First holiday outside of school holidays for 20 years. Will never come here in July or August again.

Have been totally hammocked ths afternoon. First, on the water one. I opened its bag and it whacked me in the face as it unravelled. 4 easy instructions. Best thing I have ever bought. Then I took to the airbourne variety, as the sun went down over the Green School.

Now we are late for Adam's Place. But "late" is only something in our minds for the next 15 days or so.

It is 29C on the patio, in the shade at 7pm.

Mrs A felt the earth move this afternoon. It wasn't me, as I was in the water hammock. I told her, it was because her sunbed was over the pool water pump, but she insists it was something serious. Now friends in Cyprus say they felt the same, on facebook......Too much Lal, me thinks!

On the phone to Adam. I need chicken livers with a hint if chilli....

Cheers

Steve

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »
Glad you are enjoying your water hammock, Antler.   They are great.

I was just waiting to see who would be the first to say "did the earth move for you?".  If you hadn't I think I would have had to make some remark.   You will by now doubtless have heard that the earth did indeed move today.  I had a similar experience some years ago in Crete.  At first I thought there must be a train rumbling nearby until I remembered we were nowhere near trains, in fact I am not sure they even have them in Crete.

Water sloshed over the side of the swimming pool and a few flower containers were broken but fortunately no injuries or real damage to property.   It is good to know everyone in Kalkan is safe.

When you first arrived you commented on the cool evenings and I have just put a light jacket in my case thinking it must be different this June.   Sounds as if the weather is really lovely and as usual at this time of year the most likely to be required is a pashmina late at night.

I agree it is great when you are not tied to school holidays.   June seems a particular favourite time of year for Kalkan although September is also very good as various forum members have commented recently.

Cases now to be brought downstairs to be ready in the hall tomorrow morning when the car comes to take us to Gatwick.

Offline Chrl

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 06:12:59 PM »
These holiday reports are brilliant - counting down the days till i go now!! Hope you continue to have a great holiday :)

Offline Ryss

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 08:33:31 PM »
What a wonderful narrator you are antler! Now I know why the forum members look forward to your reports! An absolute delight to read. I have to ensure I get my glass of cay to keep me company while I read! (I have a turkish tea set that I use with good ole Liptons). Do keep writing :)

Tortoise Lady, hope you have a wonderful holiday, safe travels!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Antler's back at Mussakka...........

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 08:09:21 PM
by Amndwr
xx
Antler's Holiday - Enjoying a fish lunch, nice view & a lovely glass of wine...

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

0 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 03:30:54 PM
by antler
xx
Mussakka

Started by Roxie on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

20 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 03:30:20 PM
by PaulnSue
xx
Mussakka IS the place

Started by One sheet on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 09:47:05 AM
by whiteonyx

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal