Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Fethiye  (Read 4246 times)

Offline stigred

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Fethiye
« on: May 11, 2012, 05:04:08 PM »
Is it worth a day visit or are there other towns worthy of a visit more?
We go to Kalkan in 3 weeks and pretty much have our days mapped out i think, including a boat trip a jeep safari, day to Kas and Patara and the rest of the time just mooching! Just wanting to see as much as we can and the possible differences in styles?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9431.0

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
Re: Fethiye
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:15:32 PM »
We personally love Fethiye. It's lovely wandering round the Old town and we can recommend Mozaic Bache for delicious Turkish food. It's also nice on the harbour for a wander. Haven't done it from Kalkan, we very often stay at Calis beach which is close to Fethiye.
Nicky

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:51:43 PM »
We like a trip on the bus to Fethiye. The Tuesday market there is usually cheaper than the Kalkan Thursday market, even though most of the traders who come to Kalkan are also there. The supermarkets in Fethiye are also bigger versions of the ones that have appeared in Kalkan in the past 6 months.
Aside from shopping, from the harbour, you can take boat trips around the islands in the bay and there is a water taxi down to Çaliş beach. There is a castle on the hill overlooking the town and rock tombs in the hillside near to it.
Unlike Kalkan, it is a working town and the atmosphere reflects this.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:42:17 PM »
If you go to Fethiye catch the 10.30 Izmir bus.Its the same price as the smaller buses (11 lira) but very comfortable,quicker and you get free tea,coffee and cold drinks served with biscuits too sometimes! Also headphones (free) to listen to music or watch a film.
Lots of shops in Fethiye,a lovely harbour and plenty of places for lunch to suit all tastes.The fish market is very interesting and the Tuesday market is an experience.
Its a real working town and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:45:15 PM »
amber, we've only ever got the Bati Antalya bus to Fethiye and it was certainly more that 11tl. Where can we get the Izmir bus and how can we pick up the return service from Fethiye - I'm intrigued and attracted to the free tea and coffee - how long does it take?
We also like Fethiye. Very different to Kalkan, good shopping, the Fish Market, huge weekly market which has an excellent food section and well worth a day trip. I'm also reliably informed I'll be able to pick up real pashminas there (thanks Lantana) so will be making the trip next month...perhaps using the Izmir bus this time :-\
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 05:21:03 AM »
Kalkan4Eva

In your search for those pashminas, you can take the Izmir bus from the bus station in Kalkan.  It could be worth booking your ticket at the Pammukale or Kamil Koc ticket office at the bus station a day in advance, as this route which goes all along the coast between here and Izmir does get very busy in the summer season.  The journey takes just over an hour.

Also worth  a trip by anybody heading to Fethiye is a visit to the 'ghost village' of Kayakoy which is about 6 km from there and accessible by local bus from Fethiye.

Kayakoy was the village in which  'Birds without Wings' the novel by Louis de Bernieres was set.  ( a great holiday read if you are interested in the history of Turkey.

The main part of the village was completely deserted after the Greek/Turkish population exchange in 1923. You can wander around this fascinating place, visiting the ruins and then relax in any of the dozen or more restaurants .  There is even a winery and wine bar.

It is a favourite place for us to take visitors.  A trip to Kayakoy is a trip back in time.  It is so quiet and relaxed that it makes Kalkan seem like  a teeming metropolis!. The area is stunningly beautiful and there is so much to see.  There are now some small boutique hotels for anybody who wants  to completely get away from it all for a few days.

So if you haven't done it already, do try and get to Kayakoy, it is an unforgettable experience.

Lantana

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 07:45:22 AM »
And whilst in Fethiye, if you get the chance look out for the turtles swimming around bay near the market area, quite large ones.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 08:22:54 AM »
Hı -Kalkan4eva Its certaınly the same prıce on all buses.I have been on both thıs week. Its 11lıra each way maybe thats the confusıon.
At the moment you have to catch the Batı Antalya bus back.
The bıgger bus ıs quıcker but stıll over an hour however less stops and defınately more comfortable!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 10:44:14 AM »
thanks Lantana and amber :)

Offline stigred

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 07:56:43 AM »
Thank you for your replies, they have been very helpful.
Really lookling forward to our Kalkan trip now! Just over 2 weeks to go!!

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 08:07:48 AM »
Does the Izmir bus only go from Kalkan at 10:30hrs or is it more frequently?

Thanks

Jo

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »
There are two buses to Izmir each day, the second goes in the late afternoon, so not very  helpful if you want to spend a day in Fethiye but the dolmus (small bus) goes every half hour.

Lantana

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 07:15:17 AM »
 Thank you Lantana.  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Is there anyone from Fethiye

Started by Gary on Other Resorts

0 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 02:25:32 PM
by Gary
xx
Shops in Fethiye

Started by chrissy1 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

8 Replies
Last post June 05, 2016, 03:48:31 PM
by chrissy1
xx
Trip to Fethiye.

Started by clara48 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 01:17:06 PM
by clara48
xx
URGENT- Is anyone going to Fethiye?

Started by KAPSA Kalkan on KAPSA - Kalkan Animal Welfare Official Announcements

0 Replies
Last post December 01, 2012, 11:33:35 AM
by KAPSA Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal