Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Apartment in Istanbul  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Apartment in Istanbul
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:56:48 AM »
We are thinking about visiting Istanbul in October and were wondering if anyone has ever stayed in an apartment there. We quite like the idea after having sampled the delights of Turkish breakfast in Kalkan....this way we could go somewhere different each day! Alternatively can anyone recommend a hotel which fits our bill......easy access to the sights, small/homely, not pretentious but yet nice, not too expensive!

Thanks, will await your words of wisdom! :angel:

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9116.0

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
Re: Apartment in Istanbul
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 12:20:37 PM »
For part of our honeymoon we went to istanbul and stayed in a lovely hotel called Sirkeci Konak. It is centrally located near to Topkapi Palace and the Blue Mosque and was a small friendly boutique hotel. The staff couldn't do enough for you and the food in the restaurant was lovely too. I can higly recommend it, lovely rooftop terrace and spa too. Have a read of the reviews on Trip Adviser. Here is a link to their website;

http://www.sirkecikonak.com/

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:08:09 AM »
Several years ago we met a group of people preparing an article for Condé Nast Traveller; they were staying here and loved it - also in the Sultanahmet area:

http://www.sarnichotel.com/
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:53:42 AM »
Thanks, both these hotels look lovely....we just have to make a decision though. Have found some apartments online as well but they are mostly small companies and would really like a recommendation.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »
Hi, I have not stayed in an apartment so can't help you with that.    However we have stayed at the Seven Hills Hotel in Istanbul.    It is in a wonderful location and easy walking distance of so many places I am sure you will wish to visit.   For example it is only 3 minutes walk to Saint Sophia Museum and also the Blue Mosque.    A few more minutes take you to the Topkapi Palace, also the underground cistern (well worth a visit).    Also easy walking distance to the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Market.    We never used taxis at all.

It is a very comfortable friendly little hotel with incredible views from the roof terrace.   It doesn't have things like swimming pools, Turkish baths, etc and so is probably cheaper than some of the hotels with more facilities. 

The hotel has its own website and it is easy to book online direct.    They responded quickly to one or two e-mail queries before we booked.   We discovered this place when staying at a nearby hotel a previous year.   Someone at the door encouraged us (not in a hassling kind of way) to try the roof terrace for a drink.    We were hooked, not only by the views but also by the G. and T.s we enjoyed up there.    I don't think we would want t stay anywhere else.    A hotel does have the advantage over an apartment, if you are on a short visit.   No need to go out and search for groceries, and they can give you information on any tours.   They did provide a transfer from the airport if you were staying a few nights, I expect they still do this.

So much to see and do in Istanbul - be warned that some parts are very busy with lots of traffic.    The Sulhamet is much fresher and greener.

(Just in case anyone is wondering I don't know the owners of the hotel, just loved it on our visit)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 07:02:18 PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions....in the end we decided on a small family run guesthouse....gets very good reviews on Trip Advisor....this is an extra holiday for us so we decided to go somewhere 'modest'....will report back in October

Offline iyiislamlar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 11:54:01 AM »
Babs

We have twice been to Istanbul and need to go again. The tourist sites are well documented but would like to recommend a brilliant night/nights out. Over the Galata bridge is Istijal Cadessi, the main shopping street running from Tunel, through Galatasary Square to Taksim Square. Between Galatasary Square walking up towards Taksim Square turn off to the area to the left. It is a maze of narrow streets full of amazing restaurants and music bars. Navidade or something like that seems to be the most famous. Musicians wander around the bars and restaurants and busk together and then move on.Just sit and eat Mezes, listen and soak up the atmosphere, it really is brilliant.

Another tip, dont go on excursions up the Bosphorus, do them yourself. Go down to Eminonu by the Galata Bridge and get your own trip on the large public tranport boats to say Ortakoy, or Kadikoy on the Asian  side, much much cheaper.

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
I agree about the trip up the Bosphorous, I did that it was great. I also had a fish sandwich fron the stall where  the boats dock quite an experience !Also the Basilica Cistern is well worth a visit think entrance was 10NTL have a google.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 08:10:46 PM »
I agree Tonik1945 the Cistern is well worth a visit, in fact I think it is a "must do" when in Istanbul.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 09:32:49 PM »
thanks for all the great ideas of places to go.....really looking forward to it as have wanted to go to Istanbul for a long time, and still have Kalkan to look forward to first!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
THE BUS TO ISTANBUL

Started by molly on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 05:40:24 AM
by Mercimek
xx
Istanbul

Started by Babs on Other Resorts

11 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 10:08:26 PM
by Babs
xx
Istanbul and Iso's

Started by headroom on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 11:31:55 AM
by alantj
xx
Istanbul

Started by happy days on Flights and Travel

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 12:01:39 PM
by Mags

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

EK 70s Night

Views: 4100
By: Enjoy Kalkan
Mini Mee Happy.JPG