Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Questions re. supermarkets and a restaurant recommendation  (Read 5063 times)

Offline MrsC1701

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Hi all

I have found this forum so invaluable in planning our holiday, it truly is brilliant!

Just when I think I've asked all the questions I need to, I think of another one (or two!)
1) We arrive in Kalkan around 9pm on a Friday - we are staying just about 5-10 mins walk from the main street, will there be a supermarket or grocery store open at this time where we can stock up on essentials or will we have to wait til the next morning?
2) We'll be celebrating our wedding anniversary in Kalkan - I'm pretty overwhelmed by the choice of restaurants, so can anyone recommend a good place for us to go for a special occasion?

Thanks all
Mrs C

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9933.0

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
You will be inundated with replies to this I am sure.   You certainly don't need to worry about the shops being closed at 9 p.m.    All the grocery stores will be open at that time and for quite a while longer!

The advice often given on this forum of "somewhere special to eat" is to look around when you are there and decide when you see the places.  However we all have favourites we can't resist recommending.   I love Kosk and Gironda is another elegant place.  I think you would find either of those would have that "special feel" for an anniversary.  More recommendations will be following I am sure.   Have a wonderful anniversary.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
Re: Questions re. supermarkets and a restaurant recommendation
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 01:17:15 PM »
MRSC1701,

Hi there.All supermarkets are open until at least midnight,and it is an excellent idea to go and get supplies the same night you arrive.When we arrive we ask the driver doing the transfer from the airport if he would mind stopping off at the supermarket first to allow us to get supplies,and they are always absolutely fine with this........usually very accommodating !! We use Yali supermarket as we think they are definetly the best usually on price and choice.

The restaurants we cannot recommend highly enough is Agora and Alternatif.Both mid priced and both excellent for food quality and service.Good luck what ever you decide.

Offline anoife

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 02:53:41 PM »
Yes Supermarkets open until late 12.00 midnight, you'll have no problem getting supplies.  With regard to restaurant, as other say there is a huge choice.  One of my favorites especially for a special occasion - Saffron above Utopia bar.  Have a coctail in Utopia and then up the stairs to Saffron, the best views in Kalkan, may sure you say it's a special occasion and get a table overlooking the street.

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
Hi Mrs C, (i'm also called Mrs C by my OH!!), for a special occassion i would recommend either Gironda, Gourmet  Terrace and Hubby is saying Kalamaki!
Nicky

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 09:22:03 PM »
Mrs C,
How about spending your Wedding Anniversary at sea, on the evening cruise on, say Yildiz II? Where Captain Osman and Zeynep will cook for you, take you wherever you want and enjoy the cooler temperatures away from the coast.

We have not done the evening cruise, but enjoyed many a day out on Yildiz. But reading reports, this is top of my "Must Do Next Time".

Certainly different......

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 09:23:35 PM »
Mrs C,
How about spending your Wedding Anniversary at sea, on the evening cruise on, say Yildiz II? Where Captain Osman and Zeynep will cook for you, take you wherever you want and enjoy the cooler temperatures away from the coast.

We have not done the evening cruise, but enjoyed many a day out on Yildiz. But reading reports, this is top of my "Must Do Next Time".

Certainly different......

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 12:15:15 AM »
..................and romantic ;D :laugh: :-* :-* :-*

Offline MrsC1701

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 10:00:17 AM »
Thanks all for some very informative replies.

I think what I'll do is on arrival in Kalkan have a look at the restaurants you've suggested and also find out about the Yildiz cruise. Of course, one anniversary option to get the best of both worlds would be a boozy lunch at one of the harbour or rooftop terrace restaurants, sleep it off by the pool then head off on a romantic evening cruise ;D

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 10:33:01 AM »
Perfect!  My kind of day.  Aubergine does a splendid lunch and they have very cool fans at lunchtime with steam.  Also comfy sofas for afterwards. 

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 10:57:01 AM »

Hi Skunk - fans with steam - wow isn't it hot enough here already ?? ;D

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 01:51:52 PM »
What I mean is mist - couldn't think of the word!!!!!!!!!  8) 8) 8)

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »
I agree with Mayday 1 Yali's like the other shops open really late, we tend to use Yali's as we find they have quite a good selection and are competitive pricewise. If you like your Efes we found them one of the cheapest when we were out there a few weeks ago. As for the restaurants I just couldn't advise as I've loved all the ones we've visited but for a special occasion the rooftop ones or the ones directly overlooking the harbour and the ocean are so romantic, there's just way too many to choose from.  Hope you have a wonderful time and a great memorable celebration, cheers  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Recommendation for hotel pampering

Started by annav on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 01:21:24 PM
by annav
xx
Budget Accomodation Recommendation - 1 bed

Started by Ceri32 on Accommodation and Hotels

9 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 03:26:51 PM
by HEATH
xx
Bathroom Cabinet - workmanship recommendation?

Started by Timm on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 02:09:31 AM
by Talk Talk
xx
Supermarkets

Started by hodstar on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

15 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 12:36:34 PM
by Bob & Jayne

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

The Bergamo 7 @ Chillies

Views: 2621
By: pw
Meis