Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Fine Dining Recommendations  (Read 9244 times)

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
Re: Fine Dining Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 12:22:12 AM »
A mention for the Olive Garden too :) amazing view and a menu which is certainly that bit different from a lot of the Kalkan restaurants
The Olive Garden has to be our favourite for dinner.  For a starter, try their Chicken Livers in Cherry Sauce, Sublime! I follow that with the house speciality, Skinless Sausages. We always visit on a Sunday as Chris loves their Moussaka, it is their dish of the day.  They serve delicious Olive Bread with dips before the starters appear, and at the end of the meal they serve mini doughnuts with chocolate sauce, Helva and a Liqueur. The service is faultless. We are greeted like good friends, as is the case in much of Kalkan.       For lunch our favourite is The Seaport Restaurant by the harbour entrance, again where we are greeted as old friends.    Their mixed Meze is our must have, at a table overlooking the fishing boat moorings.  Such a wonderful view in perfect light.  Ever since we have been coming to Kalkan our first meal is always brunch at Akins. Again such a warm welcome and good value great food.
Our Home restaurant, up by the school is where we had some of the best liver in Kalkan. Not your typical restaurant, very homely premises and service, but lovely food. The first time we went, at the end of the meal  we were given a delicious banana cake still warm from the oven. Such a lovely couple.
We tried Moussaka restaurant on our last trip and were disappointed with the food, but I suppose it was an 'off' night!  So many others are very good, but, don't forget the coffee and cakes and delightful laid back vibe and music at The Cafe del Mar!
Enjoy your Kalkan experience.     All the best Allan and Chris
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:13:26 PM by AllanChris »
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 05:07:47 AM »
It has to be "Coast" for us...........fantastic food, great location and wonderful people......A must not miss evening  8) >:D 8)

Cafe Ev also deserves a mention......we went there twice over last new year.....the liver is to die for...

To be honest there are soooo many top class restuarants in Kalkan you wont know where to start...or finish  ;) 8) ;)

Hope you have a fab time. 
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 07:36:49 AM »
Forgot to say..............only had 2 bad meals in Kalkan.........the wife cooked both of them  >:D >:D >:D

Offline The Treets

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 08:25:16 AM »
No one has yet mentioned Trio but I would put it up there with the others  another favourite is the Fish Terrace for the food and view and of course Mussaka on the Harbour.
I'm just dreaming of being there sampling all that good food and the service in all these restaurants is professional and friendly. Roll on May.

M

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 08:41:05 AM »
Coast. Mousakka on the harbour and the Fish Terrace for us......and Kleo and Trio for drinks

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 09:24:40 AM »
Too many to choose from really but I was impressed with my first visit to Saffron last year.  The rooftop looked lovely the way it was set out - it had a calm, sophisticated feel and the food and service were perfect. 

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 11:38:36 AM »
Has to be The Olive Garden for us. Traditional Turkish cuisine,stunning views,brilliant service and reasonable prices. Need to book though to get the best tables! There are so many restaurants to choose from the list is endless, wherever you go the food should be good and it really is down to personal choice. Mussaka is always worth going to as well.

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 12:42:35 PM »
We're a helpful bunch on here, feel free to ask anymore questions you might one to know about Kalkan. As you can see we're all passionate about the place and love to talk about it.  :)

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 02:29:57 PM »
Based upon extensive research we carried out last year, my list would include the following (all providing excellent food and value for money)

Gironda               - Old town (the "finest" dining we have found in Kalkan)
Gourmet              - Old town  (superb food especially slow roasted lamb, Chocolate Avalanche must be the best 
                                pudding in Kalkan.) 
Coast                   - Harbour   (similar menu to Coast but by the Harbour)
Moussaka             - Harbour (but only if you are really hungry - potions are seriously huge) 

Mediteran hotel  - above Kalkan  (10TL taxi ride takes you to the best view over Kalkan bay we have found, and a
                               very classy bar/restaurant/terrace.  They also have a very good Barbeque night and I believe if you
                               book in advance they pick up and drop off)   

Tloss                   - Patara village (everything cooked/made from scratch and all excellent quality, after lunch at Tloss
                               dinner at Aubergine was a real let down.  To add to its appeal its ridiculously cheap)   
                               NB It doesn't serve alcohol, not sure if it's ok to bring your own

We also had a few dud meals at other well known places, I havn't named these as we didn't go back so they could have been one offs.

Re Aubergine we visited twice last year, both times ok but nothing special: service a bit hit and miss and food although well presented seemed pretty average apart from the deserts/puddings which are still pretty special.   

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
Ooh yes, I forgot to mention Oliver Garden, more traditional  Turkish food, and excellent. If you are hungry go for the sultans banquet/meze
Isis

Offline BAS

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
Gourmet is an absolute must! Top of the top end!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »
Do you ask for more in the Oliver garden??? :P

LOL perish the thought BL they already give you so much food that even standing up from the table is a major challenge :o

Offline kavanagh123

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 09:40:40 AM »
We tried and loved Fez.  Its a bit more hidden away but well worth discovering as they had really unusual dishes.  The setting was  stunning too and very peaceful.  Also loved zeytinlik for something very turkish and authentic.

Offline Leigh

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
Also not mentioned which was one our favourites last year was Gourmet - fab steaks, specially the Marble Steak which is brought to your table raw, then cooked on a hot marble slab and served with 4 pots of different sauces.  Another of our favourites is Altenatif which is really good value for money with great friendly service - we always go here on our first night.  Have been going to Kalkan for the past 5 years how, twice a year and never had a bad meal in any of the restaurants we have tried.
Also really enjoyed Mousakka, Coast and Sandals last year. 

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »
Hi Leigh,

Totally agree with your comments on Alternatif.The food is really good and excellent value for money.They are a very friendly bunch in there and they seem genuine,not put on.We too always go there on our first and last night.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 03:54:20 PM »
I feel a whole new topic coming on here......first and last night choices!
For us it's always the Korsan first night....now the Korsan Meze, sharing their amazing meze just gets us in the Turkish mood! Then we have a democratic vote for the last night choosing our favourite restaurant to return......past winners have been the Fish Terrace and Coast.
Oh and we've introduced a new 'tradition'.......as the last few years we have left early evening we spend as much time on the town beach as possible followed by a last lingering lunch at the Korsan with a nice cold glass of something!

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 04:07:44 PM »
Indeed, first and last night restaurants are each a topic in themselves.   Last year I started a "first night restaurant" thread which ran for quite a while.   It is probably still there under the "search" section.  Perhaps we could add to that.

Anyone ready to begin a last night restaurant thread?   It can be quite a different tradition for people - the first night restaurant tended for most people to be the one they first went to on their very first visit to Kalkan and it may have been a simple place but the warm welcome and good food meant it became a "must" on arrival each time.   The last night restaurant I suspect, for most people, is their very favourite and possibly somewhere they feel they are "pushing the boat out" a bit but want to splurge on the last night of the holiday.    I personally always book for that night to be sure I get a table, preferably my favourite table.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 04:58:23 PM »
OK....new thread about to start......

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Ozalp - fine dinning

Started by One sheet on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 08:38:03 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Dining Chairs

Started by bankieken on Classifieds - Available

2 Replies
Last post February 11, 2016, 09:14:16 PM
by susiev
xx
dining at the beach clubs

Started by elcee on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 07:17:44 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Superb glass dining table & 6 chairs

Started by kevincat99 on Classifieds - Available

0 Replies
Last post October 19, 2012, 08:44:40 PM
by kevincat99

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal