Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Flights - buy or wait  (Read 6489 times)

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
Flights - buy or wait
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:30:01 PM »
Hello all,

Already booked accomodation for August but have still to confirm a flight. Flights seem much more expensive this year (average I can find from Leeds/Bradford or Manchester is £350). Contemplating whether the prices will up or down and how long should I wait.  Obviously don't want to wait until the last minute because I have the accomodation booked for specific dates. I'm tempted to shell out now. What do you think?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9069.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Flights - buy or wait
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:47:31 PM »
Fuel prices seem to be rising again....The iranian problem could cause further rises (or an excuse for)..The greedy money grubbing chancellor has a budget next month..rumour has it a 3p fuel rise timebomb for later in the year...who knows......but i wouldn't bet against him bashing airlines etc in an effort to rake in more all of which will be passed on to us >:( ::)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:11:14 PM »
We are going in August too, and were in the same position about a month ago, everytime we looked at flight prices they were going up rather than going down.  We think its due to the Olympics and Para Olympics with people flying in and out.  This year we have paid double what we paid last year! but it will be worth it when we visit Kalkan in the summer.  Cannot wait, only 158 days and counting!!!!

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:26:39 PM »
I think it's best to book as soon as possible, generally.  We booked our flights for September last week and paid about £150 more than we would have done if we'd booked at the end of 2011 when there were lots of special offers on.  If you hang on, you might get lucky, but it's a risk.

We're flying out from Manchester with Thomas Cook and coming back with Jet2 as this has been by far the cheapest option for us for the second year running.   It's definitely worth checking whether two one-way flights with separate airlines are cheaper than a return :)

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:32:44 PM »
We booked with Monarch just before christmas as we noticed the prices creeping up. Glad we did as tonight I have looked and the flight now is over £100 more. Extra leg room seats have been reduced though!!! Total price we paid was £513 for  two which included extra leg room sats, meals going there (not coming back) and 20 kilo luggage which I thought was a good price for confortable seats and a daytime flight there and back.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »
I booked mine in November and note that the price for the same flight is now £77 extra per flight -i.e. 4 flights for the two of us is over £300 extra.  That's with speedy boarding and daytime, but with a no-frills airline.  I've never known it get cheaper as the year goes on so I'd say the earlier you book the better, although my daughter got a very last minute BA flight about three years ago for £95 from Gatwick - could be risky though.

Offline mel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 02:58:25 PM »
I booked a one way flight from Dalaman to Gatwick 2 weeks ago  for £10.80, departs 26 March! No extra booking fees, only hold luggage extra.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 03:38:06 PM »
Crumbs. Lucky you!! What airline was that???? Bargain of the decade! :o ???

Offline mel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 03:50:49 PM »
Thomas Cook, its still there but gone back up to just under 20euros! I always book last minute and get some good bargains, but as I travel on my own and am not restricted to when I travel its not a problem.

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 05:00:28 PM »
Thomas cook still selling April/may return flights from Leeds/Bedford -Dalaman  for about £120

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 08:26:13 PM »
Yes... i booked my flight to go out from Leeds Bradford on  April 13th for £109, so just scooped it up.  A different story for June 1st when we are paying almost £300 per ticket for 3 of us!  School term time dictates as we are taking my brother-in-law, who teaches, as a treat.  Prices are just going up year on year as airlines either disappear (remember Excel and ONUR) or simply cannot compete with the cheaper no frills flights to Europe.

It's certainly not a cheap holiday for us to visit our apartment as we cannot go for long periods of time.  We have to have quick weekly visits when we can, which when coupled with the taxi transfers / management costs / insurances / utilities.....makes this an expensive habit!

But oh what a joy it is when we finally get there and look at our view!!   :D  It is what we bought and what we love.......

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 04:30:03 PM »
Oops ... flights I have been looking at with Monarch from Manchester have just gone up today :'(

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 06:02:02 PM »
popps, try clearing your 'cookies' and give it another go.
Some airline sites check for them and if they find one, will up the price on offer to that customer knowing that it may frighten them into thinking that they should hurry up and book at that price or, it may go up again. Deleting the 'cookies' makes the site think that you are a new customer and it offers you the best price.
It's a good idea to set your browser to always delete delete cookies when you close it.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 07:10:33 PM »
Hi, BubblesG,
Don't think this is the case here, as I found the increase on my computer at work. The price increase is also reflected in both Monarch and Travel Republic websites. If the tour companies were tracking you via cookies wouldn't they attempt to catch you by decreasing the price slightly rather than raising it?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 08:30:36 PM »
the sneaky little buggers have a worm..it detects you clicking onto details..and and how few clicks you took..it then works out you are interested in that flight having visited before and ups the price >:D   but as you say i think it's just going up anyways...... ;)

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 09:20:02 PM »
Nope, just checked on daughter's laptop and the price has definitely gone up.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 09:28:34 PM »
Generally with no frills scheduled flights you get the best bargains on the day the flights are released and occasionally when there's a "sale", have to say though, Jet2's flights went cheaper over a period of time after the initial release last year ??? Flights we looked at initially for October dropped dramatically in August...so they appear to act in reverse to say, easyJet. Maybe that was a one-off. When we were booking for June, albeit later than we would normally book, the Jet 2 flights were really expensive - easyJet were £300 cheaper for the two of us. Charter flights always go cheaper nearer to the departure date, but you are generally fixed to 7 days or 14 days. Try Sky Scanner for the best deals later on as they will offer single flights with different airlines if its cheaper, I personally avoid Travel Republic at all costs :P
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 11:23:32 PM »
Prices for Jet2 to Dalaman from Leeds/Bradford have dropped for the last two days. Is there a downward trend here or will prices hike up. Any experience?

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 08:59:23 AM »
That is quite interesting, as the Easter holidays approach would have thought they would be quite high.  Perhaps because Easter is quite early this year they are having problems selling tickets, or that people are just staying home or they are waiting for the May B/H. Anyway it's nice hear that some flight prices are going down albeit possibly for a short time.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 06:27:02 PM »
Popps read my post, just above yours. Last year Jet 2 did drop its prices the nearer to the flight which is quite the reverse of other no frills. In my opinion they need to drop their prices, easyJet are undercutting them considerably from Manchester

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

thumbup
CAN'T WAIT

Started by TC on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post August 05, 2012, 07:40:58 PM
by dancing ninja
xx
Can't Wait

Started by Kalkan-Fan on Holiday Reports and Reviews

0 Replies
Last post February 22, 2010, 06:33:06 AM
by Kalkan-Fan
xx
Cant wait for June

Started by LancashireLass on When Are You In Kalkan / Arrange a meet up

21 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 07:35:13 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Which Restaurant can you not wait to get back to?

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

35 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 08:58:12 PM
by paulie1955

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal