Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: diving in kalkan  (Read 5925 times)

Offline baggies

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
diving in kalkan
« on: November 25, 2007, 05:26:50 PM »
I know that there are diving schools in Kalakn as i visited last year but as I wasnot qualified then did not pay much notice.I have now qualified and wondered what the diving is like in the area? Is there much to see?I thought snorkelling was good last year so am hoping it is good?Any advice/recommendations welcome

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=902.0

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: diving in kalkan
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 11:22:19 AM »
Hi Baggies,
I am afraid I know nothing about diving, snorkelling etc but I know a man that does! If you have a word with Ozcan at the Alternatif Atlantis restaurant on the Kalamar road, he will be able to help you out, he is a diving fanatic! He is also a really nice guy, very friendly and helpful.

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 03:54:33 PM »
Hiya baggies...
Thought i''d cut and paste a post i left on here in June this year about diving in Kalkan (see below).
There are a number of dive sites and all the dive companies go to the same ones, but we personally enjoyed diving with Dolphin Scuba as they go out on the boat for the day with all the equipment needed on board.
Kamil will also take photos of you diving, if you wanthim to, and put them on a disc so you have a lasting memory of some truly fab dives!  ;D

"Me and Mr B have just returned from our two weeks in Kalkan where we completed our PADI courses with Dolphin Scuba http://www.dolphinscuba.ukdiver.com/intro.htm

We had done the confined water skills in the UK, then did a referal with Dolphin for the open water part.
I can honestly say they were the best!
The patience Kamil and his team have knows no bounds.
I had a few jitters during my first open water experience, and the whole team made endless allowances for this, ensuring i felt safe, supported and enabled.
They were proffessional, patient and very easy to get along with...perfect for the first time or experienced diver.
I cant thank them enough for the best four days diving....we went back after completing the course to dive with the ''experienced divers'' onboard that day.
And, when we return to Kalkan next summer, we will definately be diving with them.
I wouldnt dive with anyone else now.
Dolphin have a large boat that you go out on for the day.
It has a platform at the back for seated, roll or stride entries, loads of equipment, endless tanks on board so you can continue diving without having to return to shore, a fantastic crew, wonderful lunches etc etc...
So, thanks Kamil, Birgit, Christa, Mehmet and crew for a truly fab dive time!!"

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 06:24:14 PM »
Hi baggies - my friends who came with us in October did a ''try dive'' at kalamar bay (they were real diving newbies) - they had a wonderful time and I was happy to recommend the guys at Kalamar as many had recommended them to me...next summer - I am determined to give it a go..!   :P
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline baggies

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 06:29:57 PM »
Thanks  everyone.I shall investigate dolphin scuba as need someone who will be understanding and gentle with me as only just obtained my open water.Final dives were In a quarry in Gloucestershire so looking forward to diving in water with good visibility. Will still be nervous though with L plates up so someone who understands beginners sound just right! Might let my sons do a try dive at Kalamar as well.

Mrs baggie

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 02:56:14 PM »
Ooooh Mrs baggies, you brave woman, diving in a quarry!
I believe it can be quite murky!
Kalkan diving is fantastic...clear waters, lots of sealife and rock formations, lovely warm water too in the summer!

Dolphin will take you at your own pace, and the crew will assess you during your dives to ensure you have the ability and confidence to progress your dives to your maximum depth or, if you prefer, explore the shallower waters.
Personally i prefer the shallower dives, but Mr B was diving as deep as he could once he''d qualified and absolutely loved it!

Enjoy!!  :laugh:

Offline baggies

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 06:23:59 PM »
Compass navigation was a bit scary Mrs B! Vis at that stage was only 4m and I was convinced my instructor had abandoned me! Really looking forward to open water without all the clobber of a dry suit and the extra 20lbs weight you need - and the freezing fingers when you get out.Have looked at dolphins website and look impressive.Mr Baggie will enjoy the trip just to snorkel as well I think. Do they do try dives as my 18 and 19 year old sons would fancy a go?

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 11:34:34 PM »
Oh yes indeedy...try dives from a boat are an experience.
One of the days we went out with them (we did 4 days, two days completing course and 2 days diving) there were a few people doing a try dive, some other more experienced divers, me staying in the shallows and lots of snorkellers!
Everyone gets a good amount of time in the water, and the beauty of a try dive with Dolphin is they get to go to lovely shallow areas such as Aquarium Bay and experience the lovely warm, blue sea with all its sealife.
Some companies do try dives from the beach clubs and shorelines, but to get to go diving in the sea from a boat is a great experience, you will love it and so will your sons!
Theres all the snorkelling equipment you could want on board, as well as all the diving equipment too.

And they give you lunch and a sun deck for relaxing on!! :laugh:

Offline baggies

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 09:06:08 PM »
Sounds good Mrs B especially as we can all do our own thing inthe same place i.e-me diving,sons try dive and husband snorkelling (not allowed to divefor medical reasons)! and our lunch -just what I like diving with style!

Offline bluefish

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 01:01:07 PM »
Hi Baggies,

I have just read your posting and I thought I would reply as I did a Dive Master course last summer with the Kalkan Dive Centre based at Kalamar Beach Club.  I did the course over 3 weeks so spent a lot of time at the club and they were excellent.  The owner and PADI instructor, Altan, is so patient and calm which is especially good if you are a bit afraid.  They have a really good set up where they seperate beginner and experienced divers.  They teach from the beach club where you see lots of fish as they do fish feeding and they have added lots of natural living areas for marine life under the water, so you see lots of things while you learn to dive. 

Experienced divers are taken out on the custom built speed dive boat and do 2 dives in the morning, returning back at lunchtime to spend the rest of the day with family/friends, so no time wasted hanging around.  There is also a platform on the boat making it easy to get in and out of the water.

The team are very friendly and I have made friends for life!  I hope this helps, check out www.kalkandiving.com

Offline kalkangrover

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 04:10:24 PM »
For an outsider''s opinion of diving in Kalkan and Dolphin Scuba Team, click on the link below. You won''t find a better dive boat or team...

http://www.holiday-diver.com/Issue.4-Travel-Turkey-Fethiya.Kalcan.html#kit1

The section on Kalkan is towards the bottom of the article and the photo at the very beginning of the article is the Dolphin boat at rest in the harbour.

Enjoy!

Kalkan Grover

Offline Jonesy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 11:09:35 AM »
Hi there Kalkan Grover,

That is a great article, but its hardly an ''outsiders point of view'' as it has clearly been written by a travel writer commissioned to write a favourable holiday report for Anotolian Sky Holiday company.

I have been travelling to Kalkan for many years now and have dived with almost all of the dive clubs, many which are not there any longer.  I think it is fair to say that both the Kalkan Dive Centre and Dolphin are good dive clubs.  They are very different as follows - with Dolphin you go out for the whole day on the boat with beginners and experienced divers and lunch is served. 

The Kalkan Dive Centre take experienced divers on the boat in the morning and you return at 1ish after 2 dives.  Beginners are taken in the afternoon.  This system works especially well if others in your holiday group are not divers as you will be away from them for only half a day.

This is an outsiders point of view from someone who has tried them all!!

Hope it helps.
Jonesy.

Offline kalkangrover

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 06:00:43 PM »
Yes, you''re right about it being commissioned by a travel agency, but the writer was sent to Kalkan to vet Dolphin for Anatolian Sky as they had not used Dolphin in the past. So, he did give a critical eye so to report back to Anatolian Sky.
Dolphin has, in the past, gone out for the whole day but are probably changing their system a bit this year so they''ll be worth checking out for those who don''t want a whole day at sea. Also, they are hard to beat in terms of professionalism and experience.
What can I say - I''m a huge fan!

Kalkan Grover

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Diving

Started by dawnie on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 06:40:06 PM
by dawnie
xx
Kas Diving

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Other Resorts

1 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 11:20:19 PM
by MightyAphrodite
recycled
Diving schools?

Started by terrygarbett on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 11:00:04 AM
by terrygarbett
xx
Scuba Diving

Started by Hotspur57 on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

3 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 08:31:40 PM
by kalkangrover

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal