Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Traditional hammam?  (Read 17608 times)

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Traditional hammam?
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 05:56:43 PM »
Found Suziq's post very helpful as we are staying at the Pirat next month and was actually thinking of going back to the Regency for a Turkish bath but we'll now try the one in the Pirat seeing as we're staying there.
Nicky

Offline jnismith

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »
The Hamman at the Kalkan Regency is very nice but I do think it is more than £12.  More like £20 if I remover correctly. However it is well worth it. We always go on our first day as it scrubs off the dead skin and aids tanning.

Only 2 1/2 months to go now!

Offline eobphoto

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 06:42:44 PM »
Hi, just wondering is it safe to have a TB when pregnant (3 months) I know Saunas are not advised as the body temp raises above 101degrees, however I have heard hamams are not as hot. Also is the washing and massage as rough as I hear?? I would love one while there, but obviously only if safe to do so.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2012, 02:42:29 PM »
I had mine at the Atlantis Wellbeing and you start with about 10 minute lying on the hot slab to open the pores, then you get a rub down with what felt like pummice soap, a gritty feel with a little stretching. This is done on your back and your front,then you get rinsed off with warm and cold water, next comes the magic soapy bubbles which are massaged in. Finally another rinse off followed by a relaxing lie down in a cooler room with apple tea.
The massage I thought was quite a gentle one, I have a back massage every week from my niece who has her own business and she is lot more "brutal ", the lady who does the massage does use a lot of oil  and it is very relaxing. I had the man doing my bath but there is a lady who does it as well so I guess you can request her. It isn't as aggressive as you think.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »
I've had a Turkish Bath when pregnant, but it was over 20 years ago....advice was different then but it didn't affect my pregnancy at all and I did deliver a healthy 8lb baby. Think I was three months pregnant at the time.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2012, 06:52:51 PM »
Eobphoto, I understand some people say it is fine to have a massage during pregnancy but ONLY if you go to a certified pregnancy massage therapist.   So, if it was me, I would probably not have one in Kalkan unless you knew for certain that it was with someone suitably qualified.   Might be safer to miss out altogether this time on the massage.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2012, 08:05:29 PM »
Hi, just wondering is it safe to have a TB when pregnant (3 months) I know Saunas are not advised as the body temp raises above 101degrees, however I have heard hamams are not as hot. Also is the washing and massage as rough as I hear?? I would love one while there, but obviously only if safe to do so.
What does your doc / mid-wife say? Probably better to seek proper medical advice rather than random opinions from people who's credentials are totally unknown.

PW
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2012, 09:52:44 PM »
Peterwilka, I agree and should have added that to my post.  Too important a thing to leave to chance when expecting a baby.  Have a wonderful holiday anyway Eobphoto and hope you will let us all know how the holiday went.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2012, 08:21:24 PM »
I'd suggest putting a question to KTLN - they have good contacts with everyone there and may be able to advise.  To be honest, being a paediatric nurse myself, I doubt many of the UK midwives/Obstetricians will have much of a clue what's involved in a hammam - and they will advise you against it just to cover themselves. Better to find out if the Turkish women go for it during pregnancy. I would also discuss it with the practitioner in the hammam - after all pregnancy is a normal state of health!! They must know if it's safe or not. Hope you can enjoy it, just what would give you a lift! SX

Offline eobphoto

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »
I'd suggest putting a question to KTLN - they have good contacts with everyone there and may be able to advise.  To be honest, being a paediatric nurse myself, I doubt many of the UK midwives/Obstetricians will have much of a clue what's involved in a hammam - and they will advise you against it just to cover themselves. Better to find out if the Turkish women go for it during pregnancy. I would also discuss it with the practitioner in the hammam - after all pregnancy is a normal state of health!! They must know if it's safe or not. Hope you can enjoy it, just what would give you a lift! SX
Thanks for all the advise and suggestions, i do intend to ask my midwife at my next app, but as skunk said I imagine they wont have a clue whats involved!  So that is why I asked for opinions here. 
Skunk, what is KTLN?  How do I put the question to them?

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 03:55:53 PM »
KTLN - google Kalkan Turkish Local News.  They have various webcams of Kalkan, a business directory with all the restaurants and other businesses in and an interactive map etc.  You have to be a member but if you join (free) you can scroll down under the webcams and there is a little box for writing short messages in, which goes to John (Top Cat) who is pretty knowledgeable about Kalkan and Turkey and has good contacts.  The other thing you could do is phone or email to the hotels such as the Regency, Pirat or Patara Prince, who all do Hammams and speak good English.
Good luck! SX  :) :-*

Offline eobphoto

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »
Thanks Skunk!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2012, 01:46:26 PM »
Now that we are in Kalkan I am planning my turkish bath and massage. This is not OHs favourite for himself but if any of you ladies out there would like to come with me for a hamman and massage please PM me.  :) :laugh:

Offline amberpop

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »
Hi Skunk,

Not in Kalkan until sept, been to Turkey before but have never tried a hamam. Does it really help you get a good suntan? How long does it last, and, how much does it cost roughly?
Many thanks,

Anne

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2012, 05:57:14 PM »
We had a Turkish bath at Atlantis on our first morning a few weeks ago...it scubs off old and dead skin so that when you tan afterwards there's no dead skin to flake off  >:D It doesn't stop you burning obviously so you have to be just as careful and yes I think my tan has lasted longer....considering I haven't been able to top it up here!
I think we were there for about an hour or so and it cost £15, if you have a massage and face mask afterwards it costs a bit more.
We would definitely go again as it was basically good fun and we felt very relaxed afterwards. Go on your first day though or you'll rub off your tan!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2012, 02:32:46 PM »
Well we went to Likya spa and wellness centre in the Likya residence hotel yesterday afternoon and having been to most of them I can highly recommend it.  They do a package of turkish bath, clay face mask, and all over oil massage for £55.  It is a bit more expensive but the spa is fantastic.  While he was waiting, OH could use the pool, sauna and steam room, and we had a lovely lunch as well.  The skin feels like a silk shawl today.  Not sure if it improves tanning, but it definitely exfoliates the skin. Highly recommended albeit at a price.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »
I do like a Turkish Bath and have found Atlantis to be the most authentic in Kalkan...that said, I think my skin feels better when I've had a mud bath on a boat trip - particularly if you use the tiny shingle stones to remove the dried mud. We usually go on a boat trip half way through our stay - so have a fair tan built up by then - and I find my skin really glows and the tan looks more golden the next day...never found anything as good as this in all my years of spa treatments. This is our secret by the way....can't have BH stopping my spa weekends now can we..? >:D :-*

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2012, 10:10:56 AM »
Definitely not.  :o ??? ::)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
Hammam

Started by tonik on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 07:03:39 PM
by tonik
cheesy
Spa/Hammam

Started by sarashah on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 10:44:10 PM
by Wendy
xx
Atlantis Hammam

Started by felicity on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 09:14:29 PM
by tonik
recycled
Anyone seen a Hammam open yet?

Started by oldie-girl on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 09:29:48 AM
by Tizz

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

The Drink

Views: 3369
By: Chucky
Blow Jon, blow!