Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Bar prices & supermarket prices /stock  (Read 6533 times)

Offline Llondon

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Bar prices & supermarket prices /stock
« on: January 17, 2012, 09:42:47 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've found a lot of similar questions, but not exactly what I'm looking for, so apologies for any repetition

I'm wondering what kind of prices bars charge for drinks in the area?

And as I understand in the supermarkets may stock international spirits but at fairly high prices? Would it be better to pick this up on the way from the airport?

I assume the supermarkets stock mixers and soft drinks? But what about tonic water?

What would people recommend for local drinks? Do the supermarkets stock wine at reasonable prices?

Apologies for the apparent booze obsession but there will be quite a few of us so trying to make sure it won't cost a fortune!

Thanks all v much!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8945.0

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Bar prices & supermarket prices /stock
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »
As far as I can remember Efes was about 4.50 tl a bottle at an exchange rate of about 2.70 to the £.
It was cheaper in the supermarkets but I cant remember the price.
Bottle of wine in the supermarket is about 10tl.
In restaurants it is about 22-26tl
Defo get any spirits at duty free.
Don't know about tonic water.
Hope this is ok as a starter for 10!

Offline Llondon

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:28:47 PM »
Thank you!

I've read that the local supermarkets are good for food shopping? From barbecues and meals at the villa what would you guys suggest to cook? Is fresh fish expensive for the BBQ?

I've read they can deliver which I guess is a plus with all the hills! I suppose there is a minimum spend for this?

And I suspect there will be some sort of sports event someone NEEDS a tv for :) any good bar commendations for this?

This is v much appreciated!

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:49:45 AM »
There is extremely high government tax and duty on all imported alcohol which makes say,a bottle of Smirnoff vodka or Gordon's Gin approximately three times the UK price, so buy at Duty Free before you leave the UK.  You can buy duty free at your arrival airport in Turkey but prices are high there too,

You can buy Turkish produced Gin and Vodka which is perfectly OK and much cheaper.  This is always what you will be served in bars and restaurants unless you specify that you want imported spirits (which significantly increases the price)

Schweppes Tonic in plentiful supply but slimline tonic is not available in Turkey.  There are now a number of slimline drinks on offer (often labelled as 'light') including coke, lemonade, orange and  ice tea.

Shop around for wine.  Two of the best for pricing are both small mini markets - One is Baris's shop opposite the taxi rank (next to Bezirgan kitchen restaurant) and the other is Can Can (pronounced Jan Jan) on the Kalamar Road.  They have a good range, a number of special offers and undercut the local supermarkets by about 6 lira (£3) a bottle.   In both you can buy a bottle of wine for 10 lira.  In summer, both stock very good Rose, always a great buy.

Both these shops also stock a wide range of food products imported from the UK everything from Heinz baked beans and HP sauce to mango chutney and Birds custard powder (yes, those of us who live here sometimes buy and enjoy them) .

They aslo stock pork chops, bacon and sausages should you want to add any of these to your barbecue.

Pork is cheaper here than lamb or beef -  approx 27 lira a kilo  - whilst lamb and beef, depending on the cut, are over 30 lira.

Both the local butchers are good and will prepare special barbecue packs .  They sell ready made kofte (small spicy 'burgers') chicken shish, spiced chicken legs and wings, steaks, lamb chops etc

Fish can be expensive depending what you buy.  Sea Bream and Sea Bass are both very good value and the best value of all is trout - delicious when barbecued.

The supermarkets don't have a minimum spend for delivery but would not be likely to offer the service for one loaf of bread.

You will find up to 20 restaurants and bars offering UK sporing events on TV so easy to find your favourite by wandering around and sampling a few.

Have a wonderful holiday

Lantana

Offline Dellbarr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:34:34 AM »
That's a lot of good stuff from Lantana but I'm not too sure about the information about delivering it to your door. A couple of years ago there was a confrontation between the local government and the taxi drivers, who didn't like this practice (among other things) and a compromise was reached. So last year the deliveries stopped and there was a taxi outside every supermarket. I didn't think this had changed.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
We have had no problems with the supermarkets delivering our purchases & some of them were not huge amounts either, they used their marked vehicles, you just have to ask at the time of purchase.  Ignore the taxi drivers outside or just say 'no thanks'.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:59:50 AM »
Out of season, supermarkets are likely to give you a ride with your goods. In season, too much hassle from taxi drivers for them to take you too.
Personally, I have never had any problem with getting goods delivered by supermarkets.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:20:36 AM »
Buy your spirits at your departing airport for the best value - it's usually about £18-£20 for 2 litres of most of the main spirits.

Supermarkets have more soft drinks than you could think of - I'm always amazed at the different types of fruit juices available.  You will have no problem getting tonic water unless you want slimline tonic as that's not so readily available.

I think the supermarkets do deliver shopping (just not people like they used to!).

When we were over for new year, Efes was about 5 and in supermarkets it was 2.3 lira.  Spirits and wine in bars and restaurants are between 7 and 10 lira a glass.

Hope that you have a great time on your first visit to Kalkan.

Any more questions, just ask and someone will be able to help.

Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:17:45 PM »
Hi,
The arrival of Bim and Migros will have an effect on prices in the town! Apparently, with Bim opening, the price of milk virtually halved overnight!
Rx

Offline chrisbluestar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:07:55 PM »
The arrival of Bim has  made me think about the higher prices I have been paying at other supermarkets...Basic Items such as milk ,bread,cheese,  prepacked fruit & veg, cleaning products and toilet rolls are at a really cheap price...A whole fresh chicken with plenty of meat on is 6 or 7 lire......I will still use other supermarkets as well   because they do have a larger selection  but I'm now a fan of BIM for basic items..Sad person that I am ,I'm walking down the road singing to myself bim  bim bim bim bim bim bim. :)

Offline Llondon

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »
Thank you for all the replies!

I guess prices will be higher than we're used to in the UK tesco/ asda etc?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 02:30:13 PM »
If you are going in the season ..you will see just what rubbish our supermarkets sell you disguised as fruit and veg..have a look on the  market for enormous colourful fruits and veg and whiffy cheese (if you like it!)...asda's? if i don't eat a cucumber before i leave the car park it turns to mush!! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »
Prices will only be higher if you buy imported goods. Pick Turkish products and they won't be. Fruit and veg as well as being delish is great value.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »
We never buy our veg or meat in the supermarkets - meat from Bulent the butcher and veg from the greengrocers. The fruit and veg is incredibly cheap and fresh in the Thursday market but if you don't eat it within a couple of days it tends to go off (even in the fridge) I may well become a fan of Bim if chicken's are that cheap there - beats the chicken man  :)
There's a little daily market down below the taxi rank - good for buying fish etc. and everything here is incredibly cheap compared to UK prices.
Hope you have a great time
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 11:37:08 AM »
K4E, I'm sure the chicken man has gone :-(   I think it was a barbers at new year but maybe it was just because there isn't enough business selling cooked chicken in the winter?   Maybe a local will be able to tell us.

Will be a shame if he's gone though because the chickens were great for a quick meal.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 12:35:47 PM »
We looked for the chicken man when we were there last August but couldn't find him. What we thought was his shop, had a different business in. We thought that when we were there last, he was in the little row of shops next to the  roundabout but when he wasn't there, we wondered if we had made a mistake re his location.

We really enjoyed his chicken too!! Are there any other places to buy cooked chicken etc?

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
The chicken shop which was on the main roundabout re-located months ago to just up the hill from Hunkar Ocakbasi - across the road from Kaya and up a little
However the shop next to the greengrocers on the roundabout has gone - Maydan did them for a while and say they may restart in the summer when there is more demand
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:29:38 PM by kevincat99 »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 02:22:10 PM »
Thanks Kevincat, good to know he is still about.  :)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »
Talking about cheap chickens at Bim............I think we are about to see a number of 'local' shops suffer / shut down with the new supermarkets that are due to open. ie : Chicken in 'Bim'..6tl..'Local butcher..12tl.

They dont stand a chance. What next, cheap wine, beer, fruit & veg...... ???  Albeit, I understand it will be good for the locals to be able to buy cheaper food.

Forget about dogs etc, this is the one that really f**ks up / kills villages, in the UK and Turkey.  :'( ??? :'(

Dare I say.......empty shops in Kalkan  ???   ( cant sustain any more restaurants )
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
MOVED: Bar Prices/Supermarket prices

Started by JollytheJoker on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 09:43:17 PM
by JollytheJoker
xx
Bar Prices/Supermarket prices

Started by JollytheJoker on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 01:04:26 PM
by JollytheJoker
xx
Taxi prices and Dolmus prices

Started by wabosso on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post July 19, 2014, 05:03:10 PM
by wabosso
xx
prices

Started by jaylar on General Discussion

13 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 04:26:12 PM
by holidayfever

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal