Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Sorry, just a little question re mobile phone!!!  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Sorry, just a little question re mobile phone!!!
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:44:17 AM »
Sorry to bring this subject up again, I know there's already been lot's of posts re mobile's, but just to clarify....if we bring a mobile that has already been unlocked in the UK, will we just be able to by a Turkish SIM and use it without a problem?

We are taking OH's parents with us this year and will be staying way up the hill near the petrol station so we will need a phone to ring for taxi's for them.  :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8941.0

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Sorry, just a little question re mobile phone!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 09:51:27 AM »
http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

or    Kalkan Discussion »General Discussion »mobile phones in kalkan

I think that this is about the most recent posting on this subject. Try searching for 'mobile' in the box at the top right hand side of the page and you will get several results.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:09:36 AM »
Thanks for your reply BubblesG. I have already searched but I keep reading that you have to take your phone to Fethiye to get it unblocked/unlocked and that it may well work for 3 weeks or so without having to do this.

We already have a mobile that we don't regularly use at home that was unlocked in the UK and I just wondered if this could be used with a Turkish SIM rather than ending up taking a trip to Fethiye. 

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:21:10 AM »
Why not ask if the person you are renting off supply a phone?..more and more do, we have a turkish mobile but for the last several visits a phone has been supplied by the very thoughtful owners...local calls only  ideal for takeaways and taxis and booking tables ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:35:12 AM »
Thanks Blue Lizard, I will do this. Some of the places we have rented have had phones and they were great, we just topped up and like you, used it for taxi's, reservations etc. but not sure if this villa has one.
If I'm unable to find out if an unlocked UK phone is ok, we will probably just take it anyway and try it or possibly buy a (hopefully) cheap turkish mobile while we are on holiday. Seeing as we come to Turkey every year, I don't know why we haven't sorted this already!  :) ;D

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 12:18:37 PM »
If you want to use the phone permanently in Turkey using a Turkish SIM card you need to have it registered here 
For this you need to go to the Turkcell shop in Fethiye along with your passport and Ikamet [you need to have Residency in Turkey] and they will register it for you
You are allowed to register a maximum two foreign phone within a two year period
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:20:08 PM by kevincat99 »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 12:37:06 PM »
Hi Kevincat99, thanks for the info. I guess I'm getting a little confused. Unfortunately we aren't residents so that option is out for us but thanks for clarifying the Fethiye thing.
So I'm assuming that an unlocked phone is needed to actually use a turkish SIM and then you have about 3 weeks before it locks up or blocks or something because it's not registered? Does this sound right?
If we bought a mobile from Kalkan I presume there will be no fuss and we can just use it and top up as we desire every time we come on holiday?
Sorry for all the questions but I just need clarification.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 01:49:21 PM »
Yes you are correct...

You need an unlocked phone to use a Turkish SIM card...but if it is a UK phone at some point it will be blocked from use

If you buy a phone in Turkey and put a Turkish SIM card in it, the shop will register it and you have to do nothing, produce nothing  at all and it will work for ever...or longer even  :D

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 01:56:26 PM »
I have a Turkish mobile that I bought for around 60 lira from the shop at the bottom of Kalamar Road however before buying it I used an old UK phone that I had and it seemed to work ok for around 2 weeks, I think after that time it was blocked.  So if you're only going for one or 2 weeks maybe worth trying your own one first.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 02:30:34 PM »
Thanks Kevincat and Charlie for your advice, at last I understand!!
We are not coming to Kalkan until July but  I wanted to get this clear in my head. We will be staying for 17 days so may just try our old unlocked one. If the exchange rate stays good we may well invest in a basic Turkish mobile as 60lira doesn't seem too bad a price.
Thanks again Guys for your help, much appreciated  :) :D ;D

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 03:39:16 PM »
Don't count on a new phone only being 60TL in Kalkan now. In October they were from 119TL at the Turkcell shop next to Parc Kalkan.
If you can, go into Fethiye and get one there. Last May I paid 45TL for a basic Samsung from the main Avea shop on the right as you go down the main road past the big mosque on your left. (It is not the one on the corner.)
Personally I use Avea as they seem to leave any credit I have left, when I leave in October, on the phone. When I go out again in May, I just top up and the remaining credit from my last top up is added back on too. Friends with Turkcell phones have theirs wiped away after 3 months inactivity.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »
Thanks BubblesG. I'll bear that in mind. It would be nice to take a trip to Fethiye. We could combine it with a trip to the market and maybe have a meal at the Levissi in Kayakoy. It would bring back happy memories. Might even persuade my OH to call in at Telmessos gold!!!  >:D ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
importing a new mobile phone

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 08:34:42 PM
by clooneyrooney
xx
mobile phone coverage

Started by dave99 on General Discussion

14 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 06:18:55 PM
by Dimetime2
question
Mobile phone useage.

Started by Alex on The Everything Else Area!

8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 10:44:22 AM
by BarbH
xx
Mobile Phone Stuff

Started by Wendy on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 08:40:21 PM
by jinfizzz

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

December tree sunset

Views: 4058
By: cer
Infinity and beyond!