Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Kas Dolphins.  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Dellbarr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
The Kas Dolphins.
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:27:44 AM »
Reading the excellent report on KTLN about the recent meeting in Kas, it appears that there is quite a problem in returning Dolphins to the wild. Does anyone know the problems are?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8884.0

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: The Kas Dolphins.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:58:57 AM »
Hi Dellbar,

"Some dolphins have been in captivity too long and have forgotten or lost the skills needed to survive in what was once their home. Habitat dictates behavior. Captivity has destroyed something vital in their lives, something that, were they human, we would call "spirit." For them, it's too late"
This is a quote from this article that you may find helpful, link below.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/whales/etc/protocol.html

Joan

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 05:27:52 AM »
For anyone on Facebook there is a group - Free the Kas dolphins.There are photographs of the awful conditions the dolphins are being kept in.There is also new news that Bodrum is not closing down as previously stated but more dolphins have been transported there from Russia.Its a very sad state of affairs and dolphins should never have been allowed to return to Kas after promises made when the last dolphins were taken away.I hope that all the tour companies in Kalkan will not encourage visitors in the summer.

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:06:41 PM »
Hi Amber - the plight of these unfortunate intelligent creatures makes me feel physically ill.
Many years ago we came across the dolphins being kept in Kas, we thought maybe you could see them swimming willdy in their natural habitat - when we found they were being held captive we made a point of refusing to go in,with the hope that if enough people did that the person/s concerned would eventually get the message - obviously not.  We are planning to come early Spring and hopefully Autumn - and we will definitely make a visit to the Kas Belediye to make our feelings known -  I will also take a look at the website you mention,  hopefully something will be done soon to aleviate the stress being caused to these wonderful creatures.

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 04:41:08 PM »
It saddens me also to read this news. After all the negative publicity with Misha and Tom you would have thought they'd have understood that people now don't want to see dolphins in captivity. I also hope as well that tour companies don't promote this so called 'attraction'.
Nicky.
Nicky

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 05:56:55 PM »
What is also so sad is that in the 'sponsored link' at the top of this thread there is now an ad doe 'Swimming with dolphins' in Nassau .

I realise Jon probably can't control this but if you can - please can you stop it?

Dolphins are wonderful, intelligent creatures & should never be in captivity.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Dolphins in Hisaronu

Started by Tatilde on The Everything Else Area!

1 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 01:22:43 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Swimming with Dolphins

Started by misty on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 07:11:29 AM
by felicity

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Golden Evening

Views: 2495
By: Pompeyalbie
Cappadocia