Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Wish I was still there  (Read 2887 times)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
Wish I was still there
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:20:39 AM »
Got back last night from a truly wonderful holiday.
Never been in September before, usually July and October, but decided this year to go for July and September.
What an amazing time we had :)
Managed to see the Operatic duo performing at the harbour and felt so priveliged to witness a spectacular performance set in a stunning location.
Was at Fener on Tuesday night for the Jazz/swing performance and thoroughly enjoyed it and also saw much of the 3 day wedding celebration over the weekend with fireworks and dancing at the harbour on Saturday night and on Sunday the drive through the village down to the harbour where the bridal party had another party again down at the harbour.

The rest of the holiday was spent doing nothing other than lazing by the pool and down at the beach :)
As usual eat and drank far too much ::) Went to our usual favourites, Olive Garden, Fener, Akin but also tried for the first time Seaport and Mussakka down at the harbour. Seaport was excellent but oh dear the service at Musakka was shocking :( Food when it eventually arrived was delicious but to be honest after waiting almost an hour and a half for our main course I'd have gladly accepted anything. Lots of people grumbling about the time they had been waiting and at one table I overhead someone telling the waiter that if food didn't arrive within ten minutes then they were all leaving. They had also been waiting for over an hour. The restaurant was busy but surely they're used to it being busy and should have been able to cope.
Usual spot at Merkez post dinner, people watching and enjoying copious amounts of Abajedam (sp?)
Managed to refrain from bag purchasing but did get a Mulberry purse as a gift for someone else.
All in all a perfect holiday with perfect weather, lovely and warm during the day but very comfortable at night. No rain at all and only an hour or so of broken cloud on Sunday afternoon.
Very sad to leave as it seems such a long time to wait til next July :(

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8646.0

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Re: Wish I was still there
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »
Glad you enjoyed your holiday istime, we also returned last night after a fantastic 11 days and I echo your thoughts entirely - what a wonderful time it was to be in Kalkan.  Perfect weather, warm seas and plenty of spectacular entertainment.

Will do a report in the next day or two but would agree with you about Mussakka, it was one of our favourites earlier in the year but we also found service slightly lacking - we were charged for drinks that didn't arrive and felt a little uncomfortable asking them to take it off the bill.

I'm afraid I didn't manage to refrain from a bag purchase, got myself a lovely Jimmy Choo shoulder bag -  first handbag in 9 visits, don't know how I've managed to resist for so long!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »
Sounds like you had a great holiday itstime, really enjoyed your review and looking forward to reading yours alison h  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:33:22 AM »
must echo itstime and alisonh...fantastic break, as usual....the weather was fantastic we've come back more tanned than in the whole of our three weeks in August when it was unbearable to lie on a sunbed for more than 10 mins.
Shame about Musakka - we went in August when it was incredibly busy but didn't particularly notice the slow service - perhaps they've lost some staff towards the end of the season..?
alisonh....9 visits and only one bag...my BH wants to marry you ;D ;D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:51:06 AM »
Sounds like you had a lovely relaxing holiday, itstime!  We will have to try Seaport next time.  Must admit the big seafood display has always put me off a bit but I've heard they do great veggie food too.  It looked a lot brighter and more inviting this year after their makeover too :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 01:15:57 PM »
We are going to give Musakka a go because of the brilliant reviews over this season...will report back! Incidentally how many bags this year kalkan4eva??  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 04:06:37 PM »
Yes, I would certainly give Musakka a try as the food is delicious and it was one of our favourites earlier this year.  They were particularly busy last week so perhaps it was just one of those nights, mistakes do happen when under pressure and it won't put us off going again.

Kalkan4eva - I'm a bit of a bargain hunter, more of a shoe person than handbags.  When my BH says 'another new dress/shoes' I can always say yes, a bargain - reduced to half price!  But who knows, if I get some admiring glances whilst swanning around town with my Jimmy Choo, it may be the first of many ;)

Agree about the tan, my BH says he's never seen me so tanned and locals were commenting on his tan when we had only been there a week.

Offline leesyloo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 05:46:15 PM »
JenJen, do give Seaport a try next time they do a fabulous veggie musakka and a lovely aubergine & spicy tomato starter but I can't remember the name of it. 

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 05:48:37 PM »
Ooh, thanks Leesyloo, I love veg mussaka so will try to remember that for next year! 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:11:32 PM »
Babs...my personal tally was three this year :-[ :-[ ::) plus an iphone cover that's being "shipped" by Nuri.
To my eternal credit we didn't make the kids eat in the Soup Kitchen every night so I could buy them this year....although I confess it did cross my mind ;D
I love clothes and shoes too....my personal response to "is that a new dress.?" is "Nooohhh, I've had this ages ;)"
alisonh, I guarentee that Jimmy Choo will be the first of many :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 09:47:38 PM »
3?....that's quite impressive!! :laugh:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Sunset2

Views: 4132
By: irfan
Making friends