Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Water Hammocks  (Read 4638 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Water Hammocks
« on: September 06, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »
Having experienced both months, August this year and October in previous years (early Oct this year :)) I have to say we prefer the temperature and the ambience of Kalkan in October. That said, we've never stayed past mid October and often places do close for the season mid- to late October. However, the young ones in your party will prefer August - no doubt about it. There'll be lots going on and many others of their age to make friends with - the heat is pretty intense but I would recommend a water hammock - quite possibly my favourite purchase this year :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8494.0
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Water Hammocks
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 07:44:08 PM »
kalkan4eva is right about a water hammock being the thing when the temperature really soars in July and August.   We bought one this year and looking forward to sampling it again in just over a week.    Only thing is with them - probably need to be careful not to get sunburnt.   The bliss of relaxing in the sun whilst keeping cool can be deceptive.    You can easily forget you are likely to burn.     Don't be put off, enjoy but just be careful.   

Has anyone seen them for sale in Kalkan itself?   We took one from UK.

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 07:55:36 PM »
kalkan4eva is right about a water hammock being the thing when the temperature really soars in July and August.   

Has anyone seen them for sale in Kalkan itself?   We took one from UK.
Did not see any on sale when we were there, purposely looked too
 ;)
I'll get me coat!! ;-).....Bang on!

Offline babyboomer

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Hi. I think everyone else has covered this vey well. with young teenagers, august is best. I have been in kalkan mid/late october and loved it. perfect weather for getting about more comfortable if walking. but still hot enough to sunbath and visit the beach clubs, which the children will enjoy. By the end of October there is a feeling of slowing down with some places closing for the season.I have taken a teenager in october and there just wasnt enough like minded young people about, as most will go as families during the summer school/college holidays.so mine was STUCK with us, and it showed , as he wanted to be more idependent, but who with?

there are enough trips to satisfy your love  of history.

have a great time whenever you go. you will just love kalkan, and  its a great choice for you for a wonderful holiday abroad for your family and yourself.

best wishes.

babyboomer

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 09:52:55 PM »
I'm saying the same as the others really.  Also having teenage girls, we have to travel in the school holidays and whilst August is very hot, the weather the last week in October  just isn't reliable.  The only time we have visited Kalkan in half term week, we had mixed weather - some lovely sunshine and some rainy days, but as it was an 'extra' holiday it was ok.  My sister visited the same week the next year and had just AWFUL weather, It poured with rain every day and she said there were torrents of water flowing through the town.

Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:12:42 PM »
Got our water hammock on amazon and took it with us - it folds into a bag and is very light. I did see something along the same lines in Yali Supermarket - it was a "noodle" with a mesh seat (reminded me of a baby walker...without wheels ::)) There'd be no sleeping on them, though whereas the water hammock is sooooohhh comfortable its impossible not to snooze ;) As tortoise lady says, you need to be sure to slap on the factor 30 to avoid a bad case of sunburn.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 08:13:58 AM »
Turkeyfan...Mrs L was in Kalkan that year in oct when it was awash(birthday)..she was paler when she came home..but at least she was clean :P
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline wendy1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 10:56:11 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies......August it is then! Will make sure I get one of those water hammocks, they look great, only problem will be will I have a chance to use it, once the kids have seen it:)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 11:53:33 AM »
Wow this site is fab. I'd never heard of or seen a water hammock before. I've just had a look on amazon and that is something I am definitely investing in!! I'm always envious of people elegantly floating around on lilo's, I've never yet mastered how to get on one with ease and I've been told I look like a dying fly while trying to actually stay on it!!

Just to echo everyone else. I think August is definitely the best time to go to Kalkan. We have only ever visited in August and while it can be extremely hot, sometimes humid and makes you very sweaty on exertion, at least you are (more or less) guaranteed good weather if it's your main holiday.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 12:36:23 PM »
lizilu20, like you I had never heard of a water hammock until I saw them mentioned on this forum a year ago.   Then, like Kalkan4eva, found one on Amazon and took it out in a suitcase.   Folds very neatly and not heavy.    Had a slight struggle to get it blown up.   I think the instructions said it didn't need anything to blow it up but couldn't manage it and bought something in Yali.   Then discovered we had not pulled out the tube part for blowing sufficiently.   Then no problem.

So lots of interesting things to be discovered on this site.

Anyone out there  found a mister for domestic use in Kalkan?    I think it could be great to have one on an outside terrace of a villa when very hot.   

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 01:23:49 PM »
Like most Misters who go to Kalkan i can be found lounging on the terrace or poolside whilst missus makes tea....i said on another thread i fancied one of those inflatable armchairs but i am torn between that and the chaos i could cause with an inflatable Crocodile...(try getting on a dolmus with it?at least with the chair i'd get a seat >:D )....i have plenty of time to decide(next june) the Crocodile is edging it at the moment >:D :-*

Offline EniÅŸte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »
Two lads belting down the main road this morning on a scooter, with a fully inflated shark lilo on the back!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 06:01:08 PM »
Wendy1970 - a fairly cool way of enjoying ancient sites is to go on the kekova boat trip - sunken city underwater near Kas - includes a boat trip, view of Kas and good lunch!  We booked through Abi and had a fab day.  Just a thought!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 08:57:32 AM »
I see the "on topic" police have moved this from another thread ;D ;D ;D
Just in case members are wondering what the references to August and October are ;)
Have to say, the water hammock is the easiest thing to get on and off too.....I should be on commission ;D
Oh and for the advertising police, I have no financial interest in the makers of water hammocks, just a satisfied customer.
BL, go for the croc :-*

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 12:17:27 PM »
Ahh I noticed that the thread had changed title and wondered how that happened. I'm still getting to grips with the EK site yet.

I'm so glad that you mentioned the water hammock though Kalkan4Eva as I had never heard of them before.

I'll let you know about the ease of getting on it as I honestly cannot get on a lilo unless I lie on the side of the pool and OH drags me in, mostly unsuccesfully I hasten to add!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 12:36:51 PM »
I'm going on Dragons Den......Velcro shorts that stick onto a velcro Lilo....you can attach your lilo to your kecks before you jump in....jobs a good un! :P (The inflatable crocodile is a day nearer)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 12:51:30 PM »
Hey Mr B.Lizard!!

I'll buy one, I'll even test the prototype out for you if you like. Sounds like the answer to all my problems!

Maybe you can design the same for your crocodile.
Eeehh what I'd give to succesfully straddle a dolphin, croc, whale etc. Even as a child I coudn't manage it. Must have no upper body strength and a bad sense of balance. I could relive my youth and embarrass the hell ot of my family! ;D

Offline Leigh

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 01:36:14 PM »
Ordered one of these water hammocks yesterday from Amazon for my forthcoming trip to Kalkan on Monday - just hope that it arrives in time - paid the extra for 1-2 day delivery so hopefully should be in luck - sounds a great idea for pool and beach use - will report back on my return.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Water Hammocks

Started by Turunc98 on The Everything Else Area!

5 Replies
Last post July 07, 2016, 09:57:39 AM
by alantj
xx
Water Hammocks

Started by wendy1970 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2012, 12:45:28 AM
by Skunk
xx
Hammocks

Started by tonik1945 on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 03:43:23 PM
by tonik1945
xx
garden furniture - hammocks!

Started by sausagedog on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 10:03:31 AM
by sausagedog

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal