Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: August or October?  (Read 2416 times)

Offline wendy1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
August or October?
« on: September 06, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »
We are planning to come to Kalkan next year for a weeks holiday.
We have found a villa we like, but cant decide whether to come at the end of August or wait until the October half term holiday.

I am travelling with a 14 and 11 year old, my sister and her husband. We had planned to come at the end of August, but my neice, who works in a travel agents, has told us that it will unbearably hot, too hot to do anything much - and that its always hotter than it actually says on the weather forecast. I like visiting archeological sites as am a bit of a history addict, but have been told that the heat may prevent this.

However, this will be the first holiday I have had in over 10 years, and the first time abroad with my kids, so I was looking forward to spending time in the pool, on the beach etc etc and have everything going on at the height of the holiday season.

Can anyone give me an idea of what it would be like both in August and at the end of October. For instance what sort of weather we can expect, and whether there would be much of a difference visiting in October with regard to things like excursions, shops being open, beach clubs open etc etc?

Also the villa we have chosen is at a place called Baris, or Bans Cd and I was wondering how far this is to the centre?

Hope someone can help!  :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8488.0

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
Re: August or October?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 05:39:55 PM »
Hi Wendy1970,

I went to Kalkan last October and this August, getting back yesterday, 5th Sept.
Weather-wise, last Oct we swam on 2 of the 7 days and did lots of walking around. We ate outside in the same restaurants and Anne wore a cardigan on a few nights. We loved the temperature, but for sun bathing and swimming we probably would have preferred to have gone a few weeks earlier.

We find August quite hot but we were able to swim every day, all day, with nice long days. Some of the evenings were still very hot and humid.

If it were me going with kids and really wanted the best weather for a nice break, then I would go for late-August over mid-late October -  and "suffer" the lovely end of summer weather!

Hope this helps?

Steve

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 06:05:20 PM »
Wendy1970 - I thought I had heard of Baris Cd villa and tried to look it up on Google to place it in Kalkan.   Discovered, like so many things, the question came up on this forum some time ago.   If you type "location of Baris Cd villa" in the search section (see button at top of this page) you will see someone asked about it in February 2010.    Hope the information other members provided is helpful.   

I think from what you say about hopes for your holiday next year you may, as Antler suggests, be better off going in August.    It can get cooler and wetter as October progresses and the autumn half term is at the latter half of the month.   We were there one June when temperatures reached August highs.    You wouldn't want to rush around but blissful for swimming and lounging around pools.    Definitely be able to eat outdoors all the time too without worrying if it will get cooler or rain!   

Of course one can enjoy Kalkan at any time of the year, it is just different in some months.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:34:50 PM »
Flights for the October half term can be as expensive as August so check them out before you decide. I personally would pick August as you have 2 young people with you who will love to spend their time in the water and will have a ball with other young people. I think the secret of August is to earmark a little bit of money for taxis so you aren't having to trudge up the hills in the heat (going down is ok). A good day out is the jeep safari with Saklikent gorge and the Xanthos site which has something for everyone and includes lots of cooling water. They pick you up at your acommodation so again no trudging in the heat.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 06:42:50 PM »
I can thoroughly recommend a taxi down hill, too, for the sake of a couple of quid, not least of all, it saves having to answer the question "has my hair gone curly?" which, of course, has to have the same answer as "does this dress make my bum look fat?"

Steve

Offline Gaia79

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 09:19:29 AM »
Hi Wendy 1970;

I am Turkish and I and my husband have been visiting Kalkan, Kaş, Patara and Fethiye area for 10 years and a year ago we bought a house in İslamlar (10-15 minutes to Kalkan). At this point we both can be considered 'expert'.

July and August are considered high season. May, June, September, October are considered low season. The weather in Turkey is not reliable. This year they say that the summer will continue until the second week of November, but who knows what is going to be next year.

I believe the end of October is risky. There are 2 reasons: Unpredictable weather and  'religious holiday in Turkey in October 2012.  In 2012, one of the religious holidays is between October 24, October 30th. This means that many many (more than enough Turkish families) will be on holiday probably between October 19 and October 30th. This year we were in Kalkan during one of the religious holidays. It was like a hell. For the first time there was a traffic in the parking lot in Patara beach and we waited almost 30 minutes to enter to Canyon in Saklikent. I really don't suggest to be in Kalkan area during religious holiday of Turkey because it is an official holiday for all the country.

Yes, August is hot, but the second part is better. I have no idea where is Baris Villa, but I believe that it is always better to rent a car when you're in Kalkan, because even you're in the centre of Kalkan, you'll need a car to go the best beaches. Kalkan's own beach is not good. It's tiny artificial beach. Kaputas, Kalamar, Patara are not in the walking distance. I believe you would also like to visit Kas (more or less 25 km. from Kalkan) and you'll need a car again. Fethiye is an hour drive from Kalkan and you'll need again a car, even to go to Patara which is close to Kalkan you will need a car. and public transportation is really bad or simply doesn't exist sometimes.

You can always visit historical places after 4, 5 p.m. My choice would be 2nd half of August. I have been in Kalkan in all the months in different years...

Have a nice holiday.

Sincerely,
Adikti Family...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
one Thomas cook flight 9th August - 24th August

Started by suzyq1 on Classifieds - Available

0 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 11:02:05 AM
by suzyq1
xx
6th August-20th August

Started by merseydave on When Are You In Kalkan / Arrange a meet up

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 09:40:13 PM
by merseydave
xx
last week of August ???

Started by kasska on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 06:55:41 PM
by HEATH
xx
5th - 19th of August

Started by RosiB on When Are You In Kalkan / Arrange a meet up

0 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 06:37:06 PM
by RosiB

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Yildiz View.JPG

Views: 2634
By: Lindy
All mine!!