Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Gourmet Terrace Restaurant  (Read 7872 times)

Offline KalkanKat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Gourmet Terrace Restaurant
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:02:06 PM »
Hi all,

I've read a few reports about Gourmet Terrace Restaurant on here and just wondered where it is?!?!?!

Can anyone help???

:)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8458.0

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Gourmet Terrace Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:29:01 PM »
It used to be Ibo, and is inbetween La Gironda and Kalamaki, tucked in the top corner.
Carpe diem

Offline hodstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:38:16 PM »
Rack of lamb mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
 :) :) :)

Offline KalkanKat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:52:38 PM »
Ahhhhh ok. I know where Ibo is/was. I'll be sure to check it out.

Two and a half weeks to go now .... :)

Offline hodstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:54:13 PM »
17 more sleeps and we will be  there
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline babyboomer

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:40:49 PM »
hi. 15 more sleeps until we return to kalkan. my list is growing with all the places to try as "must eat here". i have been to some of them and had not heard of others. i think we will need a map to. i would like to know where adam,s place is (did write to antler) not heard back yet. also the place to eat at patara beach. not been there yet..
better get my note book out and start writing, updating the list. oh it is so busy getting ready for our hoiday, what with all the decisions to be made. what to pack . where to eat, how much activity to do or not. excited or excited.....

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 12:57:31 PM »
Adam's restaurant is jus out of Kalkan on the Kas Road, about 5 minutes by car. Adam will pick you up personally and take you home again (no charge) just ring him during the day. The meals are all home cooked by the family and are served on flaming platters, very spectacular! Also spectacular are the views across the coast and the sunset behind the mountains.
Having spent 2 weeks in Kalkan in August and trying lots of Restaurant, we found this one to be the best, the food and hospitality from Adam and his family was truly amazing.  We will definitely return again next year.

Jayne and Bob

Offline babyboomer

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 04:28:58 PM »
hello again. i am a bit back to front with my responses. you can tell i am new to the forum. i have just found your first message telling me where adams is. sounds even better. so maybe a birtday dinner to be booked for sure. thank you so much for your help. you are very kind. :angel:   :angel:

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 09:44:52 AM »
Adam's Place?

Totally agree - definitely worth a visit, even if only for the contrast to the Old Town restaurants.

I would like to say it was brilliant, which it is, but not in the context of reading the menu if you're over 25 - Take a torch or four!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 01:31:02 PM »
Going back to Gourmet it is also one of our favourites food is delicious the onion soup to start is to die for, great steaks and the terracotta tasti pot for 2 is amazing, it's not cheap tho but food is amazing definitely worth a try. word of warning tho it is becoming very popular and packed out nearly every night so far in the last week since we been here.

Offline kalkanchris

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 08:13:43 PM »
11 more night and we will be there, daughter and hubby there at the moment, for three weeks, two weeks gone another to go, they come back on the 8th sept,we go on the 12th for two weeks, cant wait.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 09:47:08 PM »
Have to say, Gourmet just shaded it as our favourite restaurant last month. Toilets have changed a bit since IBO though :(
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 09:49:49 PM »
15 sleeps for us (kalkankat and I)!  Looking forward to trying Gourmet after all the glowing reviews on here.  We've also never been to Adam's so that's a definite for this time.

We only went to Ibo once during our 3 previous visits to Kalkan and I think we must have got them on an off night as we experienced really poor service  :(

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 05:01:30 PM »
must have been the same night as us JenJen....we never went back
but looking forward to Gourmet in October

Offline Ashley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 06:02:10 PM »
We ate at Gourmet last week, one meal beautiful, one meal ok, the third was the marble steak which is a great idea unless you like yours cooked well done and everyone else has finished eating before you've even started! Suggest asking the customer how they like it cooking and perhaps start cooking it before serving?! Service was quite poor, we had to pour our own wine/water as did most other tables and it wasn't particularly busy. My boyfriend and I are friends with the chef and some of the waiters so that may have played part in the lacking service?! Overall we had a nice evening but had far better meals at other restaurants.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 06:06:41 PM »
Hi Ashely,

It's a shame when there ae so many restaurants to enjoy. How did they react when you mentioned it to them that you were not impressed with their service? 

Cheers

Steve

Offline Ashley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 07:11:01 PM »
Hi,

They profusely apologised, gave us some freebies and a good bit of discount. I live in Kalkan so eat out quite a lot, the experience however wouldn't put me off going back.

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 10:50:28 AM »
My wife and I ate here on a fairly busy evening having reserved a table for 8.30pm. On sitting down the candelabra already on the table was swiftly removed although the garish red plates remained for a while longer never to be used. Why there was a candelabra on the table to start with was a mystery and it was in my opinion completely unnecessary as were the red plates. Why is it thought a good idea to load up the table with stuff only for it to be taken away as soon as you sit down?

Our order was taken and our drinks brought to the table. To their credit, wine was available in carafe's as well as by the glass or bottle. However some of the carafe's were of such an awkward shape that they literally had to be turned upside down to get anything out of them. Fortunately ours was one of the easier ones to pour from. Next to arrive at the table was some sushi and chopsticks along with bread rolls and olive oil. Generally a free appetiser is welcome but the sushi just seemed an odd choice and didn't go well with the bread and olive oil - again I though this was unnecessary and slightly odd.

Our shared starter was fine and was followed by our main course. Mine was very well presented and very tasty but my wife's beef dish had the appearance of something that had been mashed up for someone who was unable to chew. Neither dish came with vegetables according to the menu, these were available at additional cost (why do restaurants do this - who doesn't want vegetables with their main course??) although when we asked for vegetables we were told we could have some "on the house". Unlike at other restaurants not once did the staff offer to pour our wine or water for us, a small point admittedly but other Kalkan restaurant staff are so good at doing this you hardly notice (maybe Gourmet's staff struggle with the decanters!)

Service was generally poor and we waited at least 20 minutes for our dinner plates to be removed and we then waited a further 15 minutes to see if we would be offered dessert or coffee - we never were, so asked for the bill, paid and left. We did not return and feel that there are far better restaurants and service to be had in Kalkan.

To their credit the restaurant is new this year so they have managed to get a reputation of sorts quite quickly and for some it is clearly an enjoyable dining experience. The chef "did the rounds" later in the evening and he clearly has talent but I think they need to concentrate on getting the basics right and dispense with all the showy display and unnecessary clutter that gets in the way of what could be an enjoyable meal.

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 03:09:40 PM »
Spot on........Kalkanfan. The chef will get the message sooner or later.......although it seems it maybe later. Food service staff do need some training. Its popular now....but if they don't listen to the customer, they will soon quickly loose them. Your comments are very familiar..... Raz Mataz is good fun but you go for good food and service. The classic stone (or marble) cooked steak is great so long as you talk to the customer before, about the cooking process and either explain it is designed for rare steaks or they need to be thin if the customers wants it well done. Its a great way to cook shellfish.

The pattern is a weaving. Come on CHEF............Listen

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »
Went to Gourmet on Sunday, their last night open, when, reading the last two reviews, one might have expected them to be winding down, but absolutely not.  I was watching other tables too and service was quick and not intrusive for all.  The food was stunning, a view shared by all those I spoke to.  One couple had kalamari followed by balsamic steak and were positively glowing with praise (and one of them works at a nearby restaurant).  My friends and I all had the same dessert and even the chocolate and fruit sauce designs on each plate were different.  They have really thought things out with some lovely but unusual crockery (large asymmetric bowls for soup and starters and very clever coffee sets) and simple but attractive decor. 

We had no candelabra-related crises to report although I would have agreed (as a Spurs fan) about red plates!  As for free appetisers, why complain?  All in all, this place has been one of the real new stars of the season - I wish Şakir and his team an enjoyable few months rest and look forward to seeing them again next Spring.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Views of Kalkan

Views: 3362
By: tramline
Who was on that?