Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Equality, diversity, tolerance  (Read 12120 times)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
Equality, diversity, tolerance
« on: August 13, 2011, 07:09:45 PM »
 K4E's reasoned reponse to the "bags" debate has got me thinking about many recent posts which have caused me and others who I've had discussions with via PM, to raise more than a few eyebrows. I'm about to put my head above the parapet (sp ??? ) and post my thoughts, which may or not be allowed to remain.

I'm not going to directly quote from posts, I'd lose the will to live re-reading some of them, but merely want to give my take on some recent discussions.

The never ending dog debate ( and please don't take this as a signal to re-open this particular subject) caused much discussion which deteriorated to a level of hysteria which resulted in some people considering the cancellation of a much longed for holiday. During this debate It was suggested by someone that I should donate some of my salary to opening a dog shelter :o

The recent riots provoked, and rightly so, much debate, but then descended into discussion about rounding people up, shooting them etc etc. We then got the council house debate which degenerated into an almost Monty Pythonesque sketch in which people were at great pains to tell of how they or their families had once, shock horror, lived in a council house and were poor but had managed by hard work, application and vigour to pull themselves up in society. Someone even admitted to sometimes still visiting these areas ???

Another poster was "invited" to consider donating her own hard earned cash to local deprived children she teaches instead of enjoying a hard earned holiday.

Benefit recipients were next in the firing line and then the racist debate was subtly opened up by someone proclaiming that we all know that Enoch Powell was correct........ actually I know no such thing.
Another post opened with "well we're all English aren't we" errrrrrrr no we're not and why would anyone assume so?

People who choose to dress in a certain manner also got it in the neck with the lowest of the low being people who have the audacity to wear a football top. Oh and talking of football, aparently we, who enjoy going along to watch our local teams are now "the great unwashed"  >:( >:( >:(

Next poor sods to get it are those who choose to treat themselves to a new handbag or piece of jewellery and have the temerity not to pay designer prices and are common enough to try and pass their purchases off as being the real thing. How absolutely dreadful, oh and apparently we're also breaking the law and bringing down the world economy.

I am certain there are many peple who visit Kalkan who are not white middle class English, live in a council house, have at some time in their lives had to claim a benefit, maybe love dogs, enjoy watching football and get pleasure out of making certain purchases. This forum would not make pleasant reading for any of them.
Intolerance and snobbery stink! Is Kalkan to become a little enclave where people are vetted for suitable bank balances, appropriateness of owned property, dress sense and political leanings before they are allowed entry? If so, then after 15 years of visiting, I'm afraid I wouldn't go back. I'd find the air toxic.

I'm off now to lie down in a darkened room with a glass of wine. I'm prepared for a backlash, ban or some other dire outcome but feel so much better for having got this off my chest.

I love Kalkan and am more than wiling to debate it warts and all but keep it reasoned, respectful and remember none of us know what the future will hold and if sudden illness, redundancy or any other event cause any of us to loose our so called status then would we like to be judged the way some appear to be judging others?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8331.0
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 07:11:20 PM by itstime »

Offline deepasforever1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Equality, diversity, tolerance
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 10:09:57 PM »
Hey,
Isn't this world richer for being made up of people with such a kaleidoscope of opinions!  I think that you're quite right to worry that it would be pretty grim if everyone had the some of the extreme viewpoints aired in the forum.
However,  I think that Kalkan has a laid back centre at heart and that most people here want to live and let live.  It's a good place and I suspect that rubs off on all of us.
I've just come back from a wonderful holiday in Kalkan and I have a short heartwarming tale to tell.  One morning - after a night celebrating our silver wedding - I discovered my purse and bank cards had gone missing.  Back home in the UK I'd have been straight on to the bank to cancel them.  But I knew my purse could only have been lost in the restaurant or the taxi home (all a little hazy to tell the truth!!!).  The restaurant (Doy Doy) hadn't been in touch, so I was pretty sure I'd left it in the taxi.   A phone call to our usual taxi driver resulted in him driving us to the police station where my purse was presented to me by smiling policemen and then we were driven into Kalkan for our last meal of the holiday. 
Oh, I love Kalkan and it's people.  They're friendly, kind, honest and fun to be with as far as I can see.  I can cope with the odd extreme comment when I know that really Kalkan's a brilliant place to be.
I can't wait to come back - and I hope you will too itstime.  Until then I hope to make some good friends on the forum!

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »
You are absolutely right and thank you for posting. I was going to write that you were "brave" to post and that makes me feel /think that there are quite a few bullies writing on this site if people are becoming frightened to post. It's the snide remarks about the "dog lovers" and others that I despise. There but for the grace of god. And yes the riots have I think shocked us to the core but for those that have eyes to see this anger and alienation has been coming for a long time. Cameron et al were part of the Bullingdon club and frequently behaved very badly should he leave his council house no 10! Have his salary withdrawn? What about the bankers I don't see them being punished do you? And of course there's the corruption and hacking.
We live in a very violent society I work in mental health and have seen too many women enter the psychiatric system because they've been sexually abused. Men who have been physically abused end up in prison. These are facts and I know what I am talking about which is more than many of the ignorant intolerant posters on this site do. So yes lets be less judgemental and now look at what's needed for our society our whole society so that it is safe for our children and grandchildren.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:35:19 AM »
all a bit heavy for me...............  ???
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »
....well it is in the politics and debate section, KD - what did you expect?
itstime...a very well constructed and thoughtful post. I'm totally in agreement with you.
Viva la difference... ;)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 09:57:26 AM »
Nice post itstime
 ;)
Just done my footy check list on another thread
 ;)
I'll get me coat!! ;-).....Bang on!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:34:44 AM »
Yes Kalkan4eva I fully understand which section its in, all I'm saying is I thought this was a HOLIDAY.... FUN.... JOY ....site, not one that depresses people, Im sure there are plenty of sites out there for this sort of topic.......please please not on here :'( ??? :'(

And, yes I realise I dont have to read it  :-*

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 10:47:41 AM »
Yes Kalkan4eva I fully understand which section its in, all I'm saying is I thought this was a HOLIDAY.... FUN.... JOY ....site, not one that depresses people, Im sure there are plenty of sites out there for this sort of topic.......please please not on here :'( ??? :'(

And, yes I realise I dont have to read it  :-*

Bet you wished you hadn't read it now ;)
Sorry if it depressed you KD but it is merely a response to a whole load of postings which have not only depressed me but almost had me despairing at the lack of humanity and at times humility from some.
Only other thing I will say is that the topic is about the Enjoy Kalkan website and therefore not really sure where there would be a more appropriate site to discuss it ??? ???

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
Good post from itstime - I usually try to be a glass-half-full person when it comes to Kalkan (pause for readers to look at any negative posts I have ever written) and most of the subjects raised on EK and I have often been accused of being part of the EK rose-tinted specs brigade.  But my glass was feeling very empty when I started the 'GREAT BRITAIN?' thread as it was happening on my old patch and near to friends and family.  Mellowed now that things have calmed, so local councils can cancel the orders for sets of stocks on their village green!

However, one thing that really grinds my gears is people saying that the 4 Yorkshiremen was a Monty Python sketch - it was written for 'At Last the 1948 show'.  That's how easy it is to start a row in an empty room.  Have a nice Sunday

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 03:03:36 PM »
LOL Eniste I stand corrected as never knew that sketch had been done anywhere other than Monty Python. At least you got where I was coming from  :)

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »
You with a empty glass Eniste,Just cant see that ..........  ;D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 05:02:50 PM »
....yes absolutely, Neil. A researcher with an empty glass?
Eniste...you're fired!
Does anyone think I might be addicted to reality TV ::)?

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 05:12:44 PM »
It was only empty for seconds, as was the next one that appeared in front of me and the next one.  But if my efforts are not appreciated, I may have to move on (waits for rush of support and immediate reinstatement)

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 05:29:30 PM »
I think I will have to help you with the research in 2 weeks .......... just to keep a eye on things you understand   ;)   ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

harbour

Views: 3952
By: irfan
harbour