Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Bags!  (Read 16932 times)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
Re: Bags!
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »
Thanks for this Chris :) Didn't think there was a problem but good to have it almost clarified :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 12:02:54 PM »
Having thought about it a bit more, consider this:

If you make yourself a bag that looks something like a designer one and put naff Chenel, D&G, Luis Vuitton or whatever logos on it, is it a fake, or is it a bad copy?  If it's a bad copy that you've done to try to impress your friends with (and obviously fail), is this illegal.  I doubt that a court would take it seriously.

Improve the quality, and at what point does this become an illegal fake?  Who would have the credentials to decide when a bad copy became an illegal fake?  If it's so good that it's difficult to tell, then how can the 'expert' tell?

It all boils down to the reason for the fake.  if you're intending it to be fraudulent for the purposes of gain, then it will be deemed illegal.  Otherwise, it could be argued that it's a copy for the purposes of a Fancy Dress party/Theatrical purposes, and no intent to deceive or obtain gain was the object - you possessed it because you liked it, not because you believed it to be a designer bag, and you did not intend others to believe it was genuine.  (It could be argued that posing with the designer bag is intent to deceive, but if you were to say it was a copy if asked by anyone, then the intent to deceive does not exist, and any perceived offence is void).

Please Note that I'm NOT a lawyer, I'm merely offering an opinion - If it really is a concern, ask a professional (and try the foregoing arguments!).
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
I have just spoken to one of our lawyers who thinks (like all laywers, he caveated this with its not my area but):   

You commit a crime if you purchase any goods knowing them to be counterfeit.
          The logic behind this is that in you are encouraging a criminal activity in exactly
          the same way as purchasers of stolen goods.

While in the I have never heard of anyone being stopped in the UK for this, some countries take it quite seriously.  In Italy if you are found bringing counterfeit goods in they are taken off you and you can be fined the retail price of whatever you brought in. 

Not too bad if it just the latest DVD however a couple of designer handbags could seriously dent your finances.  Perhaps the victims of this crime (the husbands who have to pay for the damm things) should encourage a similar approach in the UK.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:12:48 PM by alantj »

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 12:55:16 PM »
I'm not sure how vigilant/or how much they care in the UK airports but you never know, so I always bring them back in my suitacase, and would never use/take them to Italy or France as I have heard they will confiscate/fine.

Isis

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »
Quote from Alantj

"Not too bad if it just the latest DVD however a couple of designer handbags could seriously dent your finances.  Perhaps the victims of this crime (the husbands who have to pay for the damm things) should encourage a similar approach in the UK. "

Errrrr believe it or not there are many woman who are capable of independently working to earn the money to buy their own damned handbags!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(
This is 2011 not 1811 >:(

Sorry Alan you hit a nerve ::)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 02:45:30 PM »
Hit him with your handbag!!! ;D ;D 8)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 03:21:19 PM »

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 04:00:49 PM »
Quote from Alantj

"Not too bad if it just the latest DVD however a couple of designer handbags could seriously dent your finances.  Perhaps the victims of this crime (the husbands who have to pay for the damm things) should encourage a similar approach in the UK. "

Errrrr believe it or not there are many woman who are capable of independently working to earn the money to buy their own damned handbags!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(
This is 2011 not 1811 >:(

Sorry Alan you hit a nerve ::)

Sadly my wife is still stuck in 1811 when it comes to funding handbag purchases in Kalkan. Any suggestions on how to update her would be greatfully received.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »
LOL Alan :)
Hmmmmmmmmmm a difficult one. Don't suppose appealing to her sense of female emancipation and the fostering of the joy of independence would help :o

Worth a try :)

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 05:16:14 PM »
Could it not be said that people must be flawed in some way if they have to try and pass off cheap counterfeit items as genuine to somehow give an illusion of wealth   ;) ;) ;)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »
oooooooooooohhhhhhh Misty you are such a wind up merchant. I'm afraid theres no passing off of anything up here in Lanarkshire as most folk (including me)  wouldn't recognise a designer label if it slapped them in the face.
I love the bags because of the way they look, nothing more, nothing less. It's good fun to look up the designer websites following a purchase to find out the name, cost etc but as I've never seen a real designer bag would have no idea otherwise. And to be honest I love telling people when they admire my bags that they're not the real thing. Mostly get confused looks though as people don't know what the real thing is ??? ???

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 05:50:37 PM »
You commit a crime if you purchase any goods knowing them to be counterfeit.
          The logic behind this is that in you are encouraging a criminal activity in exactly
          the same way as purchasers of stolen goods.

The point here is "knowing them to be counterfeit".

This means it has to be proved that you knew they were a 'counterfeit' of the designer label they purport to be.

If you believe them to be a copy (and are marketed as such) they are by definition, not counterfeit, as they are not pretending to be what they look like - they are merely similar.  I don't suppose anyone got done for copies of Kate Middleton's wedding dress......

Remember, guilt has to be proven, though in this day and age it seems to be the other way round sometimes.  In Italy, I suspect it's more a case of revenue generation than anything else!

If you don't want to argue with the authorities - bury it in the case (as suggested)......

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 06:17:11 PM »
I would never want a "fake" bag, or fake anything.  If something is merely inspired by a certain style then that's one thing, but I don't see the appeal of buying a fake version of something else.  A lot of the clothes and bags in Turkey look to me to be of excellent quality but then they go and ruin what would have been a perfectly nice bag/top/wallet by slapping "Prada" or whatever all over it.  I wish there were just more good quality unbranded things to buy.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2011, 06:33:23 PM »
misty old Bean....looking at your shorts in the photo gallery picture you may want to invest in some fake Billabongs???...still at least no one will steal those off the line ;D ;D :P

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 07:40:20 AM »
Whilst I appreciate it is great to pick up a fake handbag at bargain prices, it can have far reaching consequences!
I have a retail shop "somewhere in England", selling the real designer bags!  I am also responsible for the livelihood of quite a few members of staff, every lost sale to a fake purchased abroad is one less sale to us retailers, so a knockon effect!   No, it is not sour grapes!  Interestingly, our local charity shops are not now allowed to accept fake handbags as donations, as they risk  prosecution, so I do my best to help them to identify them.   They are pretty clever fakes, but not that clever.   Many cases of people buying fake bags in Italy and France, confiscated at departure airport and a heavy fine! >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 08:34:40 AM »
Just as well some of us don't holiday in France or Italy >:D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »
....is this thread for real?
Bags - designer, fake or otherwise - are just something that ladies. and indeed some men, like. End of.
Crikey this thread has gone from light-hearted "where can I buy a handbag"? to doom mongering.
This is a free market enconomy where I can spend my own money (that I earn myself...) how I see fit. I'm not breaking any laws in doing so and I'm supporting local businesses here in Turkey....my choice :P
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 11:54:06 AM »
well said Kalkan4Eva!

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »
I am finding this year that a lot of these threads seem to be turning into doom mongering where have all the we love Kalkan posts gone and all the nice things with valuable information about Kalkan, when I first joined last year this forum was what made me get excited and couldn't wait to get there yet I find a lot of the posts are just serving to turn 1st time visitors away or put people off - please lets get some more holiday reports and all the good things that we love reading instead of everyone trying to spread doom and gloom around we get enough of that here in Britain.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »
I agree

Moderator:
I think this thread should be closed.  It has turned into a debate about trade protectionism - not quite what Babs had in mind!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bean bags

Started by foodie on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 07:56:43 PM
by Chucky
xx
Scanning bags on arrival?

Started by Kalkan regular on Flights and Travel

7 Replies
Last post March 25, 2015, 11:09:52 AM
by samson
xx
All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go ........

Started by RosiB on Holiday Reports and Reviews

83 Replies
Last post August 19, 2015, 10:21:44 AM
by RosiB
xx
Antler's Bags are Out of the Attic....

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

22 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 05:52:46 PM
by kevincat99

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Xanthos

Views: 3428
By: blondie
Old Town