Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Welcome Packs  (Read 3170 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Welcome Packs
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »
As serial renters, I'm often amazed by the difference in the welcome packs left by owners. One accomodation we arrived in quite late at night once didn't have a thing - not even tolet roll!!! At others we've had wine, efes, complimentary tea and coffee and even amazing toiletries - all as a starter for your holiday :)
As an owner, how do you decide what to leave in a welcome pack - if you leave one at all?
As a renter, what's the best/worst welcome pack you've ever received?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8258.0
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Re: Welcome Packs
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 11:47:50 PM »
As we often arrive in Kalkan during the early hours, it is always a relief to find a few basics in the welcome pack.  Once or twice we have arrived in the dead of night and found nothing at all - not even a bottle of water which immediately makes you feel thirsty!
Glad to say that most of the apartment owners we have rented from supply items to keep you going until the next day - water, fresh bread, butter, milk, tea, coffee, toilet rolls etc, i.e. enough for a bit of breakfast before you have to hit the supermarket!  Sometimes we also find a nice bottle of wine chilling in the fridge which is a welcome bonus rather than a necessity.
These basics are very much appreciated, give a good impression of the place and so get the holiday off to a flying start - happy days!

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:12:59 AM »
We leave ... wine, beer, coke, milk, bread, butter, jam or honey, eggs, coffee, tea, 5 L of water, potato chips, nuts, cheese.  Also toilet paper, laundry soap, dish soap, hand soap and Kleenex. Used to also leave cereal and fruit juice but no one ever ate or drank these.

Just for comparison, if you rent an apartment on the Costa del Sol in summer, you get ... no welcome pack!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:41:10 PM by Cosetta »
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 09:36:31 AM »
The villa we rent each year is fantastic. The welcome is very welcoming if you arrive late. Here goes........Fresh bread, butter, cheese, olives, cucumber, tomatoes, onions, a variety of fruit, jams, honey, tea, coffee, water, efes, wine plus the essentials.......toilet rolls etc.

Fortunaely we have always arrived in time for a swim and then to the village for a fantastic meal, with too much wine and efes....and maybe a taxi back for a lovely kip. And off you go again....and again. Its what you work all year for!

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:49:03 AM »
If we were renting and paying in the region of £1000. or more per week then we would expect a very decent welcome pack, but if it was a mid priced accomadation I think expecting wine etc would be rather presumtuous, very acceptable mind you.  After all most people have just come through with their duty free so if they are gasping  no problem.

A couple of toilet rolls are a must, together with a small hand soap & mozzie zappers.

Bread, butter, eggs, water & basics + a little fruit is always good, always have english tea in our bag anyway so a good cuppa is welcome.  Also of course it does depend upon the time of your arrival, as to what you might require, if like us you have suffered in the past with delays, some a long as 12 hrs, anything is acceptable!!!!!
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 04:03:46 PM »
Thank you to all the villa owners from whom we have rented, call us old soaks, but always Efes (chilled) available.  What else does one need on arrival in Kalkan, no matter what time of day or night!  It is always magic (and there IS  food available at departure airport!, no need to go hungry).  PS  Plan ahead and email villa owner with requirements!  Everyone is very helpful, on one visit, beautiful bottle of "fairly local" olive oil, hand written message and made us feel special! :)   :)    :) :) :)

Offline hodstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 04:45:29 PM »
We stayed at Villa Gizem in June. Welcome pack was great:
Coffee, tea, milk, water, bread, olives, cheese, fruit, fresh orange juice, toilet and kitchen roll. We paid less than £1000 for two weeks, great value.
 :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 06:03:37 PM »
We provide water, tea, coffee, sugar, juice, milk, bread, butter, cheese, fruit, eggs, jam or honey, efes, wine, loo rolls, kitchen rolls, liquid soap, some dishwasher/washing machine tablets/powder, and olive oil from our own olive trees.   Also a drinks tray although we do ask guests who wish to take advantage of the drinks tray contents to replenish for the next guests.    I would add that we are not one of the high charging villas but wish to provide the kind of initial basic supplies we would want ourselves if we were renting.

I would urge guests to let owners know if the contents of a welcome pack are felt to be inadequate.    When we first bought we asked our agents to supply a welcome pack for guests.    We hadn't asked for one ourselves as we normally would go out to eat on the first evening and then shop on our way home.    One of our very earliest guests e-mailed to express disappointment over the welcome pack - we were rather shocked because we naively thought the packs would be more or less standard for Kalkan.  There hadn't even been any tea bags.   We moved agents (not just over the packs) and discussed in some details what we wanted supplied.   

I think all villa/apartment owners are hoping for repeat guests and also that the visitors will enjoy Kalkan as much as the owners.    So do give feedback - either praise or sorrow!

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 06:52:12 PM »
        There seems to be a wide variation, which I'd expect, as I'm sure the prices vary too.
        As a "customer" I think that whatever the price, guests should be supplied with the essentials, which allow you to:-

Visit the loo
        Wash your hands
        Have a drink of water
        Make a cup of tea and/or coffee
        Wash up the glasses and cups afterwards.
        These are basic necessities!

Anything extra to that in budget priced accommodation could be viewed as a bonus.
        In mid to higher priced lets, extras should be added as a "Welcome" touch.

The packs which members on this forum provide, sound excellent!  :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:28:56 PM by joanH »
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 04:48:43 PM »
I've stayed in plenty of places that don't even provide water (not just in Kalkan - all over Turkey and Europe) so I always try and buy a few bottles at the airport or at a petrol station on the way to the accommodation.  I've arrived at places in the middle of the night with not even a basic welcome pack provided which always seems so stingey and thoughtless.  I don't expect anything as there are so many places that don't provide even the basics so if we do get a welcome pack, I just see it as a nice bonus. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal