Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Pretencious Kalkan?  (Read 8836 times)

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
Re: Pretencious Kalkan?
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 11:05:48 PM »
It is slightly pretentious I think, but maybe that's why I love it so much...with a tendency to be a little pretentious myself :)  With regards to prices, we paid lots more in Side five years ago for rubbish food, watery cocktails, poor service and less atmosphere than you get in Kalkan.  We then did Kalkan as skint 20-somethings in 2007, fairly decadently in 2009 & 2010 and then on a budget again this year and it's possible to have a great time at all levels.

Popps - I wonder if you work for the academic publisher I was made redundant from in June this year...

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 05:01:22 AM »
How can a place be pretentious? The dictionary definition of the word is 'attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed:'

The importance of Kalkan as a a holiday destination both to Turks and to foreign tourists is not exaggerated - look at the positive posts on this forum, British press articles and the press coverage in Turkish newspapers and magazines.

The merit of Kalkan is not exaggerated - the beauty of the setting, the amazing range of things to see and do here, the number and quality of restaurants, the warmth, professionalism and exuberance of service in shops and restaurants, the friendliness of local people, the sun shining for over 300 days each year................

Only people can make something pretentious and in my experience, the only pretentiousness you find in Kalkan is from a very small number of a certain type of tourist, fortunately usually quite thin on the ground.

Pretentiousness refers to behaviour.  I've never seen any sign of that behaviour on the part of anybody who works or owns a business in Kalkan.

It is a very special place, not without the occasional frustration, after all it's not Disneyland (thank goodness) But pretentious?  Never.

Lantana

Offline Geriatric Ski Boy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 08:47:58 AM »
I would be very grateful if Kalamar Dream could let me have the details of electricians and plumbers working in London for £120 per day. We have recently had several quotes for a job which would take half a day, about four hours, and the quotes range from £275 to £400.Thats not including materials. Several firms never even bothered to quote, obviously the job was too small.
So if I can get someone for £120 a day I will be very happy.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 09:35:29 AM »
I would be very grateful if Kalamar Dream could let me have the details of electricians and plumbers working in London for £120 per day. We have recently had several quotes for a job which would take half a day, about four hours, and the quotes range from £275 to £400.Thats not including materials. Several firms never even bothered to quote, obviously the job was too small.
So if I can get someone for £120 a day I will be very happy.

Very odd for a first post  ??? ??? ???      Where do you live Buck house  8) 8) 8)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 08:30:46 AM »
It may be a first post but pretty accurate!
Prices around me range from £200-£300 per day, you may get an odd job man for £120 per day? >:D
I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid.......then I was petrified

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 11:01:04 AM »
It may be a first post but pretty accurate!
Prices around me range from £200-£300 per day, you may get an odd job man for £120 per day? >:D

I agree, I'm in Wirral and subbies are approximately £120 per day.  If you pay for company with employed staff and other overheads, to do a job you are likely to be charged £300-£350 a day.
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »

I use Poles much cheaper...... ;) ;)

Offline Geriatric Ski Boy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »
Unfortunately Kalamar Dream I do not live in Buck House, we have rental properteis in central London and in other areas in the South. I try to do a lot of the maintainance myself but the re are times theat we have to resort to using trades people. The sorts of rates I indicated are far from unusual. I ended up doing the electrical ork myself though it took me a full day, and it worked, where as the electrician would have done it in about four hours.
As I said before if you could please pass on the contact details for the electricians and plumbers who charge about £120 per day I would be very grateful and if I am able to use them there is a case of Effes for you.

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 05:57:09 PM »

Popps - I wonder if you work for the academic publisher I was made redundant from in June this year...

If you tell me the region we're talking about I'll let you know without mentioning names.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
While we are on costs - a very good reliable firm I have sometimes used in London now show on their website the following costs for work daytime midweek.   They increase sometimes to double for "out of hours":

Plumbing   £90 an hour
Elec.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2011, 06:57:45 PM »
Sorry, my post went off by accident!   The prices I began to quote were

Plumbing  £90 an hour
Electric      £90 an hour
Drain services  £150 an hour

They also do carpentry etc

all subject to 20% VAT

Can really add up if a job ends up by taking a long time!    Needless to say I don't use them any more than I have to!    It is difficult to find someone good and reliable at low rates.   

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2011, 07:22:12 PM »
Can we stay on topic please or start a new thread :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2011, 09:15:21 AM »
 Yes, indeed, it is so easy to stray from the topic.    I am poised to begin another thread on a quite different subject but very much Kalkan related.    My next visit is some months away so this forum is a good reminder of a place so many of us do indeed enjoy - as often as possible!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal