Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Something old, something new... and a few surprises  (Read 10097 times)

Offline Baggy

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Something old, something new... and a few surprises
« on: June 28, 2011, 09:44:48 AM »
This has taken a while to get around to but better late than never . . .
We were in Kalkan from May 14 to 28 which meant 14 meals; 14 nights of great views; and about nine fragile mornings after too much Efes and WAY too much dancing.
Anyway - holiday report to follow; let's cut to the chase . . .
Having planned the shortlist for months we had a bit of a mare on arrival at Dalaman (see pending holiday report!) so all plans were abandoned and we ended up quite late in Kosk.
It's an old stomping ground where you're always guaranteed a good meal with attentive service (especially for the laydeez). And it didn't disappoint. I'm not a great one for messed around food so piped mash and carved tomatoes don't impress me much but the steaks were tender and the Angora red got the holiday off to a good start.
The exact order of the rest of the holiday is a little hazy (always a sign of a good holiday, I think) but I believe the second night was at Saffron which, I have to say, is one of my favourites. Start with a bellini, move on to prawns and avocado and then chicken cordon bleu - yes, it's not exactly an authentic choice but it's gooooood. OH always raves about the steaks and we went twice which, with the wide choice of restaurants available, is a recommendation in itself.
Then on to Fez - another old favourite. Steak again . . . this time with mushroom sauce for me and pepper sauce for him. Again, we went back for another visit (and more magic from Mehmet) later in the week - this time for a divine halloumi kebab.
Actually Fez provided some of the holiday highlights for us - sitting with a Pomegranatini on the sofa well into the early hours with some good friends... you can't beat it.
We're always in the market for somewhere new and this year's debut was Ephesus.Again - we went twice. First time I had my usual borek starter but OH's icli kofte was too hard to resist . . . totally yummy and my choice for the second visit, followed by chicken guvec and dancing until 5am!
The service was impeccable and the food was really good - and all despite not having any water.
I don't know how any of the restaurants cope, to be honest - and in a 21st century developed country, I don't see why they should - but that's another rant . . . back to the food.
We stay at the top of the hill - over the roundabout - so our stopping off point for a pre-dinner Efes is usually Ali Baba's (the one next to Kaya). Their Seaview Terrace has a wonderful view over the rooftops and the food is fantastic. It was chilly the night we went up to eat so I had soup followed by mussaka. OH is still raving about the Albanian liver (on our second visit he actually had it as a main course so it must have been good).
So - they were our 'double dips'. As i said before, we spend months talking abut where we're going to eat and one place we always look forward to is Sofra - the lamb shank in particular.
I'm not sure what's happened there but while the food was as good as ever the service was really not good. It was one of the only restaurants with more than half a dozen customers, but with the number of staff on that shouldn't have been a problem.
We had to wait for ages for our main courses and when we gently reminded one of the waiters he was quite surly. Again, we all have off days, but my gut feeling is - despite the lure of the lamb - to cross them off the list for next time.
Interestingly enough we had the complete reverse experience at The Old Trading House. We were the only customers on the top terrace and the service was faultless - friendly, prompt, perfect in fact. The food, however, let them down.
I ordered duck - I think I got served a shoe in mulberry sauce.
And no, I'm English, so I didn't say a word . . . To be honest I can forgive bad food more than bad service.
And this wasn’t a problem we had in one of our other regular pit stops . . . Ak Deniz. It’s off the beaten track a bit but the service is good, there are a couple of friendly cats and I could eat the falafel forever.
It’s not the place for a quiet dinner a deux once Chocolate gets pumping but I think there’s nothing like a bit of Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull with your peppermint tea.
We also revisited Odak which was the hit of the holiday – it was the night of the Fenerbahce champions parade so, despite nearly everyone claiming to be Galatasaray fans, it was quite a night.
Again – steak was the benchmark and it was stunning. I ate the lot – unusual for me as I inevitably ‘leave a bit for Mr Manners’ but I don’t think they even had to wash the plate . . .
And last but not least, Iso’s Kitchen is worth a wander down the back streets for.
Cosy, friendly and very reasonably priced we meant to go back again but never got round to it.
We’re back in September and already have our list prepared . . . we have a vacancy for the second Wednesday . . . . any more suggestions?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8064.0

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
Re: Something old, something new... and a few surprises
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 09:59:27 AM »
Great restaurant report, thanks!  The halloumi kebab at Fez is one of my favourite Kalkan meals, yummy.  We meant to go to Iso's Kitchen last year but ran out of time so will definitely make it when we're there in September.

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »
Great review.. Jon also loves the Albanian liver at Ali Baba's. That is one of our favourite restaurants in Kalkan for it's simplicity and lovely staff.

Offline Baggy

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:11:25 PM »
Yes - Bayram and co have become good friends of ours, too . . . and are responsible for some killer hangovers and very sore feet!!

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 01:09:46 PM »
Great report Baggy!!
Apart from Mussaka we ate at all different restaurants and had some beautiful meals whilst we were there a couple of weeks back.
At least you're back in Sep to have another go, we've got to wait till next year!!
Nicky

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 10:46:21 PM »
I've often been made to feel very welcome at understaded Iso's whether it's the chicken sandwich for lunch on my own or a simple dinner with good (local) friends.  Great report Baggy - details noted for visit with first-timer girlfriends in August!

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 12:26:59 PM »
Iso's is well worth a visit and he is also open out of season too. Lovely cosy atmosphere, roaring fire, great food and Iso always has time for a chat.

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 12:35:13 PM »
Where is ISO's ? Wouldn't mind trying there next time.

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 12:47:51 PM »
It is along the road from Moonlight, not the slope down to the harbour or the main shopping road past Mussakka and Merkez but the one just slightly to the left of that, past Sofra and towards the Ibo Eden garden bar.  Very nice place, good food and prices and lovely people.  They have a cool (in many ways) outside seating area under a green sheet and a pleasant terrace.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 01:07:20 PM »
Is it the one that opened a couple of years ago and run by the guy who used to play music in Belgins?  :-\

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Me & Him Indoors

Views: 847
By: jinfizzz
Boatman Ali