Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Has the recession hit Kalkan?  (Read 2985 times)

Offline merseydave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Has the recession hit Kalkan?
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
Just wondered as to whether or not its as busy as it has been in the last few years, or has the economic downturn hit business. We might assume that a factor in this may be numbers of people visiting, dining out or booking villas hotels etc..... If so how do recent visitors feel it was numbers wise.
Or are there other factors to gauge this by?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7972.0
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:29:03 PM by merseydave »
Kalkan..........just ONE of the places we'll have a villa when we win the Euromillions!
Not a full time resident, but getting there!!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
Re: Has the recession hit Kalkan?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:14:37 PM »

Economic downturn......wheres that then  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline merseydave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:52:21 AM »
Probably some time next week when I found out if I still have a job!! :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:24:51 AM »
This is a very difficult one for anyone to know in truth. I know of three hotels that haven't opened this year, whether that's because of lack of bookings or some kind of internal politics who knows, word is, on the ground, (and that's all we have here because there are no official stats for this kind of thing) is that apartment rentals are up and villa rentals are down, but no one can know for sure as all owners have a vested interest in telling you everythings hunky dory.
 Anyway things never really get going properly until July, every May the talk is of how quiet it is 'this year' and there are always a stream of late bookers.
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:48:44 AM »
It is quieter than the norm. It picked up during half term week but not to the usual figures.

If you need proof, look at the number of restaurants that are offering set price meals. I don't think I have ever seen that in Kalkan before!
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:10:14 PM »
Hi,
Just back. Not the same numbers. Samira did not have a Turkish Night on Saturday. Have put it off until Wednesday. Hotel is full but not as many in the town generally.
Don't need to book a table unless you want some where specific. All the usual popular restaurants are busy, but lot of empty ones. Sad to see. Anil boat was booked right through the season with a few dates left. Not July and August but heard that Thomas Cook were about to discount.
Happy holidays!
Rx 

Offline baclava

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • The Olive Grove
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 12:48:59 PM »
Oasis hotel on Kalamar road has not opened, I understand due to no bookings.

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 02:32:25 PM »
Hi
We have just returned from Kalkan (there from Fri 3rd-Mon 13th). For the first couple of days town seemed slightly on the quieter side we thought but  by the Monday, it had actually got very busy. Every restaurant we went to was full though of course there were places that weren't, usually those which are new and it always takes time to build up reputation and get people in when there is such fierce competition. Restaurants that were full or just about full were Mussaka (harbour), Zula, Kosk, Kalamaki, Merkez and Gironda. Some were actually turning tables as people waited to be seated until a table was free. I advise all our guests to book restaurants to avoid disappointment (and also help restaurants in their planning)
Re the Oasis, I think it is very dangerous to draw conclusions from this - it has never been marketed correctly and has never had an established following to draw from. I don't think it has ever been open for a full season since it opened a few years ago.People don't even know how to go about bookings for many of the hotels in Kalkan as they have 'changed' tour operators many times since Tapestry days.
I remain upbeat and can confirm that as a rental property owner, bookings are as strong as ever and we have even had 8 weeks booked for 2012 already.
Good luck to all for the season.

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 06:04:56 PM »
Got back home yesterday morning. The town is much quiter than in previous years. Spoke to Martin in Moonlight who confirmed that they are nowhere near as busy. Also spoke to a manager of a hotel we have used in the past, he states that although he has repeat business, there are no 'new people' booking. Mind you, if any new people came this year and experienced the water problems etc, then they are not likely to return !!.  ;)
I'll get me coat!! ;-).....Bang on!

Offline Villa Pisces

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 12:52:07 PM »
We found people were later booking this year but with our repeat guests and active marketing we are full until 10th September and some of October.  We had a family staying in the villa last week who werent affected by the water problems as we have a good back up tank and if people are sensible this seldom lets us down.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Asiyan hotel pool

Views: 3799
By: Trotter
Patara Beach.JPG