Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Building project near Patara  (Read 3364 times)

Offline edwina

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
Building project near Patara
« on: May 21, 2011, 07:33:41 AM »
A worrying story in Hurriyet Daily News today (Sat). www.hurriyetdailynews.com

It would appear that there is a plan to build between 500 and 750 villas overlooking historical Patara with it's wealth of archaeological heritage examples plus the protected nesting site for sea turtles.

Apparently, the proposed building site will be in the hills above Patara but obviously the ruins of the old city and its surrounding structures cover a considerable area beyond the existing village and coastline. If completed the project will result in all the usual environmental impacts over an area of tremendous interest in terms of historical and natural importance.

Living in Kalkan now for about eight years I have seen the destruction and pollution caused by over-building resulting from local greed. I took part in it by buying a villa here! Let's hope that Patara, a pool of serenity and beauty, can survive. As seen in the article mentioned there is going to be tremendous national and international opposition.

What we can do in Kalkan is not yet clear but I for one will keep abreast of developments.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7799.0

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Building project near Patara
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Very interesting thank you for sharing with us, the developer must know something about the global economy that the rest of us don't if they think they can sell them!

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 09:41:29 AM »
Isn't there enough empty villas/apartments in Kalkan without destroying Patara too....... When are these people going to look around them, they build villas, don't think about the impact of wildlife or the environment, don't think about factors like water and electric supplies or I should say a constant supply of water. I have also taken part in helping Kalkan convert it's green hillside's to a concrete one. I never thought it would become so built up in the 10 years we've had our property....but it as
To lose the historical heritage and importance of Patara and the home of the turtles would be a complete disaster 
Let hope that the officals will not give in to the powers of money

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 10:01:47 AM »
The have been rumors about this for a year a more - not sure if it is all true but the rumor I heard was

It is being proposed by a large American company that is sufficiently well connected to get planning approval.

The want to build 700 villas high up on the hillside. All very expensive with "Swiss" standard build and with reliable and green electricity and water supplies (Perhaps that means  bloody great windmills on the top of the hill)         

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 10:16:09 AM »
More American corruption - is nothing sacred?   They ought to put their own house in order before despoiling the rest of the world, riding roughshod over everyone, because "they can do it".  My arse >:D >:D >:D

Offline Wally

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 10:43:29 AM »
 >:( >:( If anything should unite the varying views on this forum this disgrace should >:( but let us not just comment but contact whatever organisation we have to in a united effort to preserve the wonderful beauty that is not only for us but for our children ! >:(

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 10:50:26 AM »
Wally - am with you all the way.   Where do we start?   There must be names, company details etc somewhere,
perhaps not so easy to research overseas as here in the UK, BUT LET US ALL HAVE A GO ::)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »
If this rumour is true it could be years before any development starts and inevitably it will be when the economic conditions have improved.
Hopefully developments are subject to planning regulation of some sort - particularly where the proposed works are in or close to areas of historical importance etc. Isn't Patara protected to some extent by Unesco?
However, I fear that any protestations from foreigners will fall on deaf ears and to be honest I think it's more than a little hypercritical of British property owners to suggest trying to block this.
Just my thoughts. I'm sure many will disagree.

PW
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Wally

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 07:19:37 PM »
 ??? ??? As I said in my earlier post we should all unite to add our weight to what will be a massive campaign to stop this destruction  :(  Not completely surprised that someone thinks its hypocritical for people to want to stop this from happening, some have eyes but cannot see  8) Anyway don't care about these sort of comments, after reading the article from edwina I went onto the Turkey Daily News web site & read the full article. I wrote a comment which is a start, now my wife and I will do what we know is correct we will find out more and we will try to a make a difference, no matter how small  :-[ Maybe people don;t care maybe they do so DO NOT RELIE ON INFO FROM THIS FORUM IF YOU CARE DO YOUR OWN THING if you find something out which will help then let people know!   

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 07:38:33 PM »
I think we all agree that the Turks are lovely people - of course these are the people, as tourists and ex pat residents,we come into regular contact with - ie people who want our money.
I think we will also mostly agree that the Turks are fully aware of their heritage and to date have done a pretty good job of preserving it.
We, and by "we", I mean Brits pontificating on this this thread, should dismount from their high horses and let the Turkish people do what is right for them. It's their country after all - and not a particularly wealthy one.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 08:31:05 PM »
It was during 1986 that i had my first taste of Kalkan while staying in Patara..in those days Patara was a holiday destination in itself with companys such as Intersun,Sunworld,Manos to name but a few in those days upwards of 900+ tourists per week were staying in Patara in high season..many of those smaller hotels have gone..many restaurants have gone too..as has the good sized market that was where the bus station now stands & along the sides of the roads through this end of the village...many of those people saw income disappear over the course of the next few years as these tour companys went bust or opted for bigger places with more beds...there was even "taxi wars" with the local bus drivers ..sound familiar?...i think the decision for this personally should be as Peter says with the turkish people who will gain/lose from it...no one likes beauty being spoilt but money/jobs does this....some of the more cynical among us questioned at the time if the hills where the big fire spread would be built on some day..after all scrubland is cheaper than prime verdant land isn't it?? just a thought ::)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 08:33:21 PM »
In the seven years that I have been here there has always been talk of developments at Patara
It was going to be houses - then it was going to be a golf course and last year it was going to be a big hotel complex near Kumlova
To date nothing has happened - so let's not all get too excited until something definate looks as if it might actually happen
As peterwilka says it is up to the Turks, whoever and where ever they are in this possible process to decide
Or are some people again advocating petions and marches to see the mayor [ as in the doggy thing] when nothing actually happened
Let this not be another instance of "guests" in their country of Turkey telling them, the Turks what to do !!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Looking for Project Manager to oversee decoration in Kalkan this winter.

Started by Dirkissimo on Living In Kalkan

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2011, 08:18:29 AM
by samson
xx
If you we're building.....

Started by onelove on Buying A Property & Real Estate

11 Replies
Last post November 09, 2012, 07:17:35 PM
by brian j p
xx
Building

Started by soprano on Living In Kalkan

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2014, 02:09:22 PM
by happy days
xx
building work

Started by Hannah Smith on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 08:05:32 PM
by Anne

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal