Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: After Nationwide What?/Echange rates  (Read 5634 times)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
After Nationwide What?/Echange rates
« on: March 09, 2011, 04:12:30 PM »
I note that the pound, after rising to 2.645 on the wholesale markets last week, is starting to slip a bit. So today I had a look around at exchange rates in Bournemouth stores that had in-store bureau-de-change. Sainsbury's were only offering 2.42, M&S 2.44 and Tesco were best at 2.47. (all rounded to nearest whole Kurus).

In the past I have just got money in dribs and drabs from an ATM in Kalkan with my Nationwide flex account debit card. Now that Nationwide have started charging for that, ( £2.68 to take out just 100€ (£84.40) recently) I am re- thinking that strategy.

I found via www.themoneysavingexpert.com that it was possible to order foreign exchange on the net and get a better rate (2.49 at www.www.iceplc.com) than in the High St.

What are the rest of the users of this forum doing now for their TL?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7440.0
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: After Nationwide What?/Echange rates
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 05:26:07 PM »
Taking more in currency than normal...(rental place has secure safe)and will draw out more than normal as nationwide charge is per transaction so probably 2 transactions rather than several.....
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 05:39:02 PM »
Taking more in currency than normal...(rental place has secure safe)and will draw out more than normal as nationwide charge is per transaction so probably 2 transactions rather than several.....

Is that currency TL or £? If £, where do you change it?

Rates in shops have dropped over the past couple of years and the post office charges commission now. So, that leaves the banks and it's because of the queues that I started to use the ATM's. (I know, there's no pleasing some people!)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:04:17 PM »
TL ..bought in dribs and drabs so less painful!! ;)

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 06:21:41 PM »
Here in Kalkan got over 2.6 last week, but today TL strengthened to 2.56... but still a good rate ! Probably a better rate than in the UK...suggest you bring sterling and change it in Kalkan.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »
I change my cash to currency so i don't spend it!!!!! once in TL it's safe!! mr wetherspoon can't get it :P

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:02:16 PM »
I followed the advice of moneysavingexpert.com and now have a Halifax Clarity card. I use it just for money/ atm's abroad and to purchase flights. The rate is v good I also pay it off immediately ie within a couple of days of returning home. I do have a Halifax a/c which I keep a small amount in enough to cover the card, this means I can transfer money over on-line. A friend who is a financial advisor also uses the card.

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 10:32:16 PM »
I have been buying £200 of Lira when the rate has been good. Last week got it for 2.50 in M&S, They told me that they have been promoting the turkish Lira,

We normally take £100 in lira out and then get it exchanged in the hotel which is normally better than the shops,  hopefully it will not slip that much and I will get some more before June.

I think we only got 2.20 ish last year.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 10:04:14 AM »
Well, I got TL1250 for 501.04 yesterday from www.iceplc.com . There is a £3.95 handling charge on amounts under £500 but free over that amount.
In fact after seeing that the money markets have dropped the rate again, I went back at 08.00 and ordered the same again. And I got the same rate!

Tonik, Yes I saw that on MSE some time ago and have done nothing about it. I have to go into local Halifax this morning, will make further enquiries.

BarbH. See my original post, M&S were offering less than Tesco. Also, which hotel please? In most resorts the hotel rates are dire.

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 11:04:33 AM »
We stay in the Meldi Hotel and  have always got a better rate than the locl shops, the post office charge commission, The only problem is if there is enough Lira in the till at the time!

M&S always have turkish Lira in stock and you can get any amount  at the same rate whereas Thomas Coook and others want you to buy large amounts.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 01:51:43 PM »
Thank you for that BarbH.

Enquired about clarity card at Halifax and found that it is a credit card that obviously charges interest on any money taken out through an ATM but, there is no fee added for doing so. They told me that you cannot charge it before you go by paying cash into the account and avoiding the interest that way.

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »
Hi Grumpygrampy, Last December I went to Paris. I withdrew 265 euros and it cost me a total of 85 pence in interest costs. The daily rate is 0.033% per day. The 85 pence was accrued from 4th dec -16th jan which is why I now pay it off asap. Probably more info than you need but thought it better to try and explain. Hope thats helpful

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 12:54:54 PM »
Well, I have to say that I am impressed with www.iceplc.com They said it would be here by 1pm today on the website, and it was here at 12.30pm. I will definitely use them again.
Many thanks to all who tried to help this poor, nearly old age pensioner.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Water rates

Started by happy days on Living In Kalkan

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 03:17:10 PM
by kevincat99
xx
Exchange rates

Started by Doctor slow on Money & Finance

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 10:37:42 PM
by Doctor slow
xx
M&S exchange rates

Started by BarbH on Money & Finance

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2014, 06:52:37 PM
by helen1
xx
Interest Rates

Started by TES on Living In Kalkan

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 09:15:20 PM
by TES

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Spot your villa

Views: 4747
By: Babadag
ottoman style