Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: turkish bank accounts  (Read 4364 times)

Offline waterskibabe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
turkish bank accounts
« on: April 13, 2011, 07:22:59 AM »
up to now i have used my nationwide account for money withdrawals in kalkan but for obvious reasons i will not be continuing!!! I have looked back and can see a post in 2009 re the best turkish bank account to have in kalkan (ISbank) but wanted a more recent update before I go and open one! I do not really want to have to pay a monthly charge and i believe Deniz bank now charge?any recommendatins would be well appreciated!!     

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7575.0

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: turkish bank accounts
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:47:30 AM »
If you want a bank account because Nationwide are now charging for withdrawls you could instead get a Halifax Clarity card (this has no charges on foreign purchases/cash withdrawals.

You do need to set up a current account to get the card but if you go through quidco.com you will get £50 cashback when you set this up.   

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:10:25 AM »

If you are a Nationwide customer you could apply for one of their credit cards...if you use it to draw cash you pay the usual charges...

but if you use it to pay for any other items ..meals..shopping etc etc there are no charges applied to it

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 10:27:18 AM »
Kevin, I have the Nationwide card that you mention. The terms are that for every £5 you spend in sterling you get £1 commission free in foreign currencies.
I think the clarity card has a drawback with it too.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »

That's a surprise as mine doesn't seem to work like that as I spend nothing in the UK and all purchases are in Turkey in TL  :o

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 12:54:55 PM »
This is one I got last month and I checked the paperwork to make sure of the amounts. Perhaps yours is an older one with a different set of conditions?
Actually, I'm not going to use it as I have 2 other cards which both pay reasonable cashback on what I spend, home and abroad.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »
Just so happens I was in the Nationwide today and asked about charges.  I was told no charges at all on using their credit card abroad to make purchases but they do charge to withdraw money from an ATM.  Will give it a try next week!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 05:40:35 PM »

Yes Charlie that is what happens - cash withdrawals are  2% + a £1 fee - with either a credit / debit card

but purchases abroad are free of any charges

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 07:38:58 PM »
We have an account with the Denizank, the sterling account has a low monthly charge of less than 1 lira a month but the lira account is 5 liras per month.  I did check a while ago with the Is bank and their charges were similar.  You might be able to just operate with a sterling account, I don't know, then go into the bank to draw money out, changing it into lira at that time.  One bonus is that the exchange rate is marginally better than you get in shops and the post office in Kalkan and definately more than you get from an English bank, though whether that compensates for the Turkish bank charges I would doubt unless you spend a lot.  Also I think you have to have a tax number before you can open an account with a Turkish bank.

Offline waterskibabe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 06:34:52 AM »
Many thanks for all the information.
I  do know all uk cards now charge to withdraw money so want to avoid this.
 I do have a nationwide credit card which has  a great exchange rate if you want to pay by this. I have since found out that the turkish banks do not charge if you have 2 direct debits going out which is worth setting up. I am going to look at the atbank as this is a national bank all over turkey which may be useful in the future. Any further comments and suggestions will be greatly received! 

Offline waterskibabe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 08:02:41 AM »
I thought i would update everyone on my 'opening a bank account' experience!

I opened an account at AKbank with Aray. I did know him before and his english is superb so I thought that would be a help! He opened the 2 accounts ( lire & pounds) and applied for my cash card and online banking details. Once I  had my log in details I went online to register and set up passwords etc. This was all very simple and the website is in english. I did have a problem then working out how to transfer the £s to the TL account. As the uk I thought it would be in the option 'transfer between accounts'!!! I called Aray and he said he would show me in his lunch break at the Nur Patterserie!!! ( dont think they can use the internet in the branch). Off i went with my laptop and he was there to help me and showed that i had to go into 'foreign currency option' and sell my £s!! All so simple and instant and with an exchange rate of 2.50 and no charges. (rate in town was 2.40)I then just withdrew my money out of the cashpoint. BLISS!!!
 You do need a turkish mobile as whenever you log into your account you get a text message with a security code that you have to enter which i think is great security. If you want to access your account in the uk you can open up your turkcell for interational calls.
Also if you set up  2 direct debits from the account then its free banking.

Aray advised me of all of this and was just SO helpful. I will go the the Nat West when I am at home and see if the service is as good!!!

Offline yakamoz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 02:19:54 AM »
We have our security pin number sent to our English Mobile phone so I don't think that it necessarily has to be a Turkish phone. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
'Blocked' turkish bank accounts and the taxman!

Started by Chris S on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2017, 04:10:16 PM
by amber
xx
Which Turkish Bank Account?

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Money & Finance

8 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 11:46:54 AM
by MartynE
xx
Turkish Bank Security

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Money & Finance

1 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 01:34:08 PM
by BevJam
xx
Turkish bank account

Started by annie the tourist on Money & Finance

8 Replies
Last post March 18, 2017, 07:46:29 AM
by annie the tourist

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal