Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The scenic route to Kalkan  (Read 2826 times)

Offline deepasforever1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
The scenic route to Kalkan
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:50:46 PM »
We came to Kalkan for the first time last summer - the scenic route.  In our usual family fashion we had to repack our suitcases several times in order to be under the weight limit - which made us late leaving home -  and then left for the airport without maps, mobile phones and my camera.  But hey!  We had a sat-nav that mr cing56  had bought especially for the trip. So, when we walked out into the hot Turkish night at Dalaman airport we were ready for our great adventure and it was an excited band of nouvelle-Turkey tourists that set off in their hire car en-route to Kalkan. 

Back in England, armed with a set-square and compass I had calculated our route and worked out it would take approximately two and a half hours, allowing for diversions and deviations.  But I hadn't factored in the lack of navigational equipment.  Not only were our maps useless - as they were sitting on the kitchen table, at home - but the sat-nav soon began to worry us with some rather eccentric instructions.  'In 200 yards turn right'.  Ok, couldn't see a junction but we slowed down ready.  'In 100 yards turn right'.  Hmm.  'Turn right now.  Turn right rightnow'. 

We turned into a track that led through a gate into a field.  Mr cing56 hesitated.  In theory he was all in favour of following these instructions even though it was pitch black and the track was fading into field.  The sat-nav had spoken, and should be obeyed. However, luckily a higher power (me!) prevailed and we backed out onto the road again.  Thus began a five hour journey to our holiday home in Kalkan.  I'm sure we passed through some pretty little villages, directed as were by our impish sat-nav master; (Mr cing56 couldn't believe it would be wrong again!!)  All I knew was that it was very dark, very late and we didn't know where we were. 

However, the road to Kalkan was signposted and eventually, with great relief, we arrived in the centre of Kalkan.  Nearly there!    All we needed to do was find our holiday home.  I knew exactly where it was from the google earth satellite map.  (You could make out the beautiful, unusually shaped swimming pool from space – amazing).  I knew it was out towards Kalamar bay and about 200 yards from the sea... but in the dead of night, that was a challenge!  The sat-nav had completely given up by this time.  Kalkan did not exist in it's memory.

The dogs helped us.  As we drove slowly past them they yapped at us in a rather lack lustre way (we were going very slowly).  As we drove past them a second time they just looked and we realised that we'd been there before!   So we stopped, got out and walked.  And there it was.  Our holiday home.  I could see it because the sun was starting to rise and the swimming pool was taking on the ghostlike colours of the early dawn. 

We saw our first Turkish sunrise sitting outside with a night cap.  Kalamar and Kalkan were revealed fresh and sublimely beautiful.  We'd arrived, somehow,  and we went on to have a truly wonderful holiday. 
Back soon!!! ;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7541.0

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
Re: The scenic route to Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 07:39:09 AM »
  :) fantastic  :) getting ready to head out to work on a wet and windy grey morning, but reading your post has put a smile on my face

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:59:04 AM »
Love it!   ;D
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 03:59:16 PM »
Aaaaahhh... I miss Kalkan :(
I am going to have to sort somthing out for later this year.. :)
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Favrite scenic day hike from Kalkan?

Started by nwmouse on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2012, 08:03:18 PM
by cptergun
xx
Kalkan scenic walking trips (October)

Started by Mike on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2018, 09:17:34 AM
by Mike
xx
Stop Over En Route to Kalkan

Started by Bob & Jayne on Flights and Travel

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 08:34:41 AM
by headroom
xx
Best route from Kalkan to Cappadocia?

Started by AgainstGossip on Other Resorts

5 Replies
Last post October 19, 2016, 07:20:14 AM
by DRBD

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Koton cat

Views: 2741
By: saskia
Romance in Kisla