Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Where to stay? Suggestions please  (Read 12818 times)

Offline tonyp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Where to stay? Suggestions please
« on: November 25, 2010, 10:52:49 AM »
Right!  Have already posted that we are newbies to Kalkan - now we would like some ideas on where to stay? We tend to lean towards Hotels and we like to be set in a peaceful setting but not too far from Everything!! (Approx 15 min walk ok) We like to have Sea views from our balcony (bliss!) Because of the wealth of Eating places we will go B&B (usually Half board) As we cant wait to try out as many as we can in a fortnight! (excess baggage will be us!) We have looked at the accommodation pages but would like some opinions from others. We were thinking of last 2 weeks in June -is this a good time?  Any and all advice welcome.

Many Thanks,
Tony

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7146.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Where to stay? Suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 11:07:29 AM »
try clicking on to  www.kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com     in the main menu click onto "business directory"....then select "hotels"..... loads will come up ..if you see something you like you can ask for info on here  (you might have to register but it's a great site and very useful) ;) 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:22:07 AM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline The Engineer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
    • The Engineer
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 12:45:21 PM »
Hi
I would suggest one of the Hotels along the Kalamar Road starting with the 5* Regency probably the furthest away and the most expensive then maybe the Asfir then the Likya, coming closer to the village the Meldi & the Oasis, the Samira Gardens is very close to the village (have I missed any?)
June is a great month to visit and we find the first 2 weeks weather wise is bearable but heats up in the third and forth week. Hope this helps

M

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 01:08:48 PM »
Hi,
We always stay at the Samira Hotel, if our villa is booked. Very central and if booking direct you can request a sea view. Very clean and great staff. The restaurant at the hotel is excellent. The cost of transfer is included in the price!
Rx

Offline tonyp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 01:25:03 PM »
Many Thanks to ALL who have replied so far, am having a good look at some of the suggestions. Problem being you start looking and want to try them all as most look inviting!! (good excuse to go back! - if an excuse needed!!)

Is there more than one Samira Hotel? If so is one preferred over the other?

Thanks Again,

Tony

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 01:39:08 PM »
We are staying at Samira gardens in June and the Kalkan Samira in August - both are very close to town very clean and u can request sea views Samira gardens was very cheap price wise as they were offering 15% off prices if u book early u can book direct have a look at samiragroup.net which is their website. there are actually 3 Samiras the other one being Samira Deluxe which is quite a way up out of town I believe.I don't think there is much to choose between the other 2 except the Kalkan Samira is larger and has a lovely main restaurant on the roof, beleive me u won't need an excuse to come back to Kalkan as u can prob tell by all the comments on this website!! I have an email address for the Samira Garden reservations if u need it send me a PM.

Offline Johnjen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 09:58:38 PM »
I have always found that booking the Samira thru thomas cook or travelrepublic works out a lot cheaper than booking direct.Don't know why this is,but it has always been this way.Probably because they block book some rooms & apartments.Have stayed there 3 times over the years,very nice hotel,but pool can be very busy with the dreaded towels on sunbeds at crack of dawn.Have also stayed at Meldi,Nur & Dionysia.My pick for value is the Dionysia.Well positioned,beautiful pool area,basic rooms but perfectly adequate,& very laid back but efficient management.Cannot fault the Meldi either apart from the yucky green colour rooms & some of the yucky people who seem to go there every year at the same time of year.Seems I picked the wrong two weeks (sorry no it was only one.the first week was fine, they all arrived 2nd week)   

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 01:12:09 PM »
tonyp

I would give the Meldi serious consideration.  The room rates are good and for stays of seven days or more include return transfers to Dalaman airport which should not be overlooked when pricing up your trip.

It is in a good location and you can get a sea view from some of the rooms.  Have a look at the hotel website for further details on this.

Yes, the colour of the rooms is not to everyone's taste but I can reassure you that the majority of guests who return there year after year at the same time are not yucky people but very pleasant and friendly and along with the owner and staff will make you feel very welcome. 

I may possibly be one of the yucky people johnjen refers to as I return to this hotel at the same time each year (although that seems a fairly common occurance with many holidaymakers to Kalkan - does that make them  potentially yucky too I wonder?).  I'd be interested to know what two weeks of the year Johnjen stayed there so I can hopefully rule myself out as being yucky.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 01:27:49 PM »
I agree 100% with Kalkanfan - give the Meldi a serious look.  IMHO - it is the nicest and friendliest hotel in Kalkan - yes - guests do keep coming back year after year - but I would not call any of them Yucky....just nice people who love the staff and the owner and the hotel and food and surroundings (and prices!!) and just keep meeting up year on year!  And dont be put off if you havent stayed there before - you wont be ignored or left out of the 'clique' should anybody think there is one...everybody is chatty and pleasant and you will have the most enjoyable stay there...

PS - is the colour of the paint on the wall REALLY that important as long as the rooms are clean and up to scratch...???!!!  ??? ???
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Alan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 02:15:03 PM »
It depends on what you are looking for but we have stayed at the Lizo Hotel the past two years and are returning next year. Many people will probably find the rooms a little too basic but they are cleaned every day. It is a family owned pension with 20 or 22 rooms. It's b+b and there is a roof top restaurant with superb views and the food is excellent (I believe it has been in the Rough guide to Turkey - Good food guide) The Lizo is about a 15 min walk from town and is uphill. We are a bit biased as we have become friends with the owners but it's that sort of place

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 02:44:53 PM »
Hi,
I get the point about the offers from Travel Republic etc. for the Samira, but I would be wondering about a sea view. When we book direct, we get a room or apartment with a prime view of the bay.We also got a fridge and cooker in our hotel room. The cost of the room also covers a private airport transfer.
Rx

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 07:45:52 PM »
Not a hotel person myself, but I was impressed when shown around the Pasha establishment - it had bedroom and seperate small kitchenette / sitting room and balcony, was spotless, nicely done, and was very reasonable indeed.
Good bar area too - mojitos to die for!
About 15 mins walk to town max.
L
if you can walk you can dance

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 08:48:54 PM »
also not a hotel lover but like Lorilou have to say I really like the look of Pascha, seems to have all the advantages of a villa/apartment but also on site help from what appears to be knowledgeable helpful people

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 09:16:35 PM »
Have to agree with Alan about the Lizo, we stayed there in June for the first time and as soon as we got back we booked for next June!!! Yes the rooms are very basic, especially in the old block but we found it all added to the character of the place. They are very clean and comfortable and loads of hot water, in fact you feel more like you're staying in someones house rather than a hotel and the views from the rooftop bar are fabulous. The food is excellent in the restaurant and the family can't do enough for you. I'm sure you will have loads of good choices Tony!!
Nicky

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 11:03:23 PM »
Have to say that we stayed in the Lizo about 6 years ago.

Never again. Either you were a 'mate' of the proprietors or you weren't. And if you weren't you felt quite uncomfortable.

Rooms were basic & clean but the bottom sheet did not fit the bed, the bath towels were as thin as tissue paper and the food was OK, not outstanding.

I think there are far better places to stay in Kalkan - Korsan apartments spring to mind for one.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 03:15:44 PM »
SIX YEARS AGO.......come on Sally,things will have changed since you last stayed at the Lizo,well I would have thought they have.   
A lot of people who have stayed at the Lizo more recently seem to like it,so it looks like they have.  ???

EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline johnl

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 07:37:46 PM »
As far as i am concerned the food at the Lizo compares very well with the rest of Kalkan ,and the special nights are exceptional.You will not get a sea view as such but the view from the roof top bar/restaurant/breakfast area overlooking Kalkan are great,especially at night.

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 07:54:54 PM »
SIX YEARS AGO.......come on Sally,things will have changed since you last stayed at the Lizo,well I would have thought they have.   
A lot of people who have stayed at the Lizo more recently seem to like it,so it looks like they have.  ???

But the proprietors of the hotel have not changed & they, for me, were the problem.

Offline bevilj

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 09:26:33 PM »
Wife and I  will be on our third visit to the Lykia in June next year. An easy 15 minute stroll into Town. Well managed and run by great staff. No Dogs to keep you awake at night, quite important  to us. People who we have spoken to just keep returning, year after year. Its already getting booked up, would suggest you check out the Lykia web page, and Tapestry Holidays, who have sole access to this property.

Offline PACHSU

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 10:30:25 AM »
Book direct with the Samira Gardens - ticks all the boxes

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Suggestions please!

Started by AllanChris on The Everything Else Area!

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 08:37:43 AM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Take away suggestions

Started by Solz on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2018, 07:07:54 AM
by onelove
xx
Suggestions Please

Started by Firecat on Other Resorts

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 10:59:46 AM
by antler
xx
Hi forumites!any other suggestions

Started by superrn on Introduce Yourself

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 06:33:33 PM
by yelkenite

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal