Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Licence required for driving in Turkey  (Read 8014 times)

Offline Becs_matt

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Licence required for driving in Turkey
« on: September 19, 2007, 12:10:07 PM »
We are planning to travel to Kalkan in a month''s time for our first holiday in Turkey.  We plan to hire a car, however I read somewhere that to do so we require an international licence.  Is anyone able to confirm if this is the case and advise on process?
Many thanks

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=702.0

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Re: Licence required for driving in Turkey
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 01:40:15 PM »
We have just returned from Kalkan and hired a car for the week direct from the airport.  Paul just had his usual UK card type driving licence.  We got pulled in at a police check point along the road to Kalkan (quite common apparently), the police checked Paul''s licence and waved us on, so presumably a UK licence will suffice.

Happy holidays,
Alison

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 01:44:40 PM »
We have hired a car many times with our UK licence and never had a problem.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 02:22:46 PM »
No - no international driving licence - least ways not that I''ve ever been told  ;D  Have hired a car countless times and ordinary driving licence suffices - and be prepared for the many road blocks - but again - ordinary driving licence seems fine with both the polis and the jandarma!!

Enjoy!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Becs_matt

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 02:51:37 PM »
Great that''s good news - thanks to vereyone for their replies. :)

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 04:10:42 PM »
Your regular license is sufficient to drive here but be VERY CAREFUL to observe the speed limit.  The speed allowance is up to 10% above the limit allowed for your type of vehicle and even if you are going 5km / hr above that, you will incur a hefty fine of nearly YTL 100. 

For example, on the Fethiye->Kalkan road I was caught by radar driving at 109 kph.  My Honda CRV''s limit is 90 kph, + 10% = 99 max.  So I was 10 in excess and the fine was YTL 89.  If I didn''t pay it, there would be many unpleasant consequences.  For one I couldn''t renew my annual car registration.  Second, the fine compounds astronomically in a short time and one''s license can be confiscated for non-payment ... I''m told even a foreign license can be confiscated.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 05:29:30 PM »
To add to Cosetta''s posting - they are extremely vigilant at times re: speeding...bit of a shame really coz the roads are so good and so fast and SOOOOO empty - it is pure pleasure driving there and the speed limits do seem incredibly low...but anyway - try to stick to the limits or be very careful.  Our regular airport driver seems to know the days and times/places when the radar guns are out - I should get him to write it down so that I can remember... >:D >:D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 05:49:55 PM »
and what about the cardboard police cars?have you seen those?..... i''ve seen them on the way from the airport parked at the side of the road,the taxi drivers never seem to bother slowing down as they know where they are ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Shirley Burley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 09:46:41 PM »
The roads may be ''good'' and ''so fast'' and ''soooo empty''... but the speed limits are in place as the roads are extremely dangerous.  Having lost friends and acquaintances as a result of speeding along those roads I can only endorse the police stops, and find it unbelievable that speed limits are taken so lightly.  The road from Dalaman is NOT a motorway, hence the 90kph speed limit.  The speed limit is in place for a reason.  The roads are winding and some vehicles drive very slowly, this is particularly hazardous in the dark when tractors drive without lights.  The police are not there to annoy you, they are there for your safety, exactly as they are in the UK.

Perhaps if you had been close to someone involved - and in fact killed - in a road traffic accident on this road you may feel differently about the ''incredibly low'' speed limits.

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 11:18:54 PM »
I don''t & haven''t & probably won''t drive in Turkey but I really, really go with what Shirley is saying.
Speed Kills - it''s as simple as that.  If you drive at 5-10 kph/mph faster than the rest of the traffic it MIGHT get you there 5 - 10 minutes before me. So what have you gained ? - apart from raised blood pressure. ;D

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 09:11:47 AM »
In the UK now, the enforcement of speed limits is very strict and only the reckless and irresponsible would speed. In this country, many vehicles are poorly maintained, so for example, cannot brake in time when faced with a hazard. Older drivers have never taken a driving test nor have many young drivers, the lack of driving skill is frightening.

Goats wander into the road without warning, motorbikes and cars will turn in front of you without any indication, minibuses will stop dead, again without indication, to let out passengers, the roads are often potholed or littered with dangerous obstacles, and trucks frequently shed parts of their load. Yesterday, on the dual carriageway into Fethiye, we encountered a flock of goats which had been frightened by something and were milling in confusion all over the road, a car driving at speed towards us on the wrong side of the carriageway and then a truck two vehicles ahead of us lost ten plastic crates, creating an instant obstacle course. All in a normal days driving but had we been speeding, potentially fatal.

At night there are many vehicles which drive without lights.

A few years ago a friend of ours was decapitated when driving at speed at night into the back of an unlit tractor which was carrying metal poles sticking out several feet behind the trailer. In seven yeras here, in this small village, we personally have known over ten people killed in road traffic accidents.

Turkey has the highest road traffic death rate record of any country in Europe. The roads are very dangerous. Read the local paper in Kalkan and see the number of traffic  deaths reported each month, you will never be tempted to speed again.
 Lantana

Offline Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 09:13:41 AM »
Hi - not sure how much of thıs has been covered but thought ıt worth mentıonıng.....

When we have hired cars we have always got by with a UK licence.  We bought a car a few months ago and thought that thıs would be the same. However, on reading the artıcle on the Fethıye Tımes websıte we decıded to check wıth our ınsurance company.  Luckıly they had an optıon for speakıng to someone ın Englısh and we were told that our polıcy was not valıd wıth a UK licence only and that we should have an internatıonal driving licence in order to make the policy valid. So we have now applied for the Internatıonal Licence by printıng the forms from the Green Flag website and sendıng by recorded delıvery from here but you do have to give a UK postal addressÅŸ the same as on your UK lıcence and get someone to forward ıt to here and it''s only vaÅŸid for 1 year.

Not sure ıf anyone else has come up agaınst thıs one but ıt seems that for hıred cars you should be ok wıth the Uk lıcence and wıth certaın ınsurance companıes you''re not ıf you have a polıcy for ownıng and drıvıng the car.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
IDP (International Driving Permit) for non photo licence holders in Turkey

Started by Brooksie on The Everything Else Area!

5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 08:08:13 PM
by rat2
xx
british driving licence

Started by annawiththebanner on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 07:49:42 PM
by baclava
xx
Driving in Turkey.

Started by LancashireLass on Flights and Travel

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 06:23:37 PM
by LancashireLass
xx
Driving in Turkey

Started by Pete on Flights and Travel

13 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 10:08:23 AM
by Pete

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

New Logo

Views: 3675
By: Pete
Kalkan dog