Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antalya holiday report.  (Read 7390 times)

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Antalya holiday report.
« on: October 13, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »
I dont know if this is he correct place for a Antalya report but hey.
Ok, got back from Antalya on friday after five days there,I wasnt sure that I was going like Antalya,I am not really happy in big cities,but I REALLY like the place.
I stayed in the Kaleici (the old town) and its is really nice,a bit simlar to Kalkan old town,but a lot bigger,pathed and cobbled old streets with some smart little hotels tucked away down the narrow alleys,and enough cafes,bars and eating places to keep anyone going for a week or so,and to my surprise very peaceful,both at night and during the day.
there are two bazzars in the old town,both very big and full of all the normal stuff you would see anywhere in turkey,but a fair bit cheaper than Kalkan market.
getting around is a doddle,the tram system runs around the old town and down to Konyaalti beach and is,if my memory is correct,1.5 tkl per trip,from one end to the other if you want !
lots of taxis,and cheaper than Kalkan,also plenty of dolmus,but try not to use them at rush hour
they are packed solid.
I stayed at the La Paloma hotel in the Kalieci,great little hotel,nice and clean,great staff and a really good breakfast.lots of fruit,cereal,eggsfrench toast ect ect,and all the freshley brewed coffee you can drink AND fresh orange juice at no charge.
I didnt eat at a lot of places as my friend now has a Kebap house in Antalya,but one place I did use every day and night for drinks was the Berlin bbq and kebap,its just across the street from La Paloma hotel,five yards staggering distance for me some nights,the food is spot on,and plenty of it ! I had my morning Turkish tea here every day(no charge) and my (very)late night Raki and slices of melon every night,again no charge,I think they must have liked my company or I gave big tips when I was paying !
In general food and drink is a fair bit cheaper than Kalkan,beer is between 3-5tlk,food you can probably Knock off maybe 25 % compared to Kalkan.
All in all Antalya has everything you need,the old town is peaceful and relaxing,the new town is busy and bustling with great modern shops,and of course you have Lara beach at one side of Antalya and Konyaalti at the other.

I will be going Back,in the not to distant future,and I will still be having my chilling time in Kalkan,the best of both worlds bliss !

Oh,I nearly forgot,I should warnyou Antalya has a lot of,erm,ladies of the night,shall we say,but be careful,some are not what they seem!!!!  ;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6556.0
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
Re: Antalya holiday report.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 05:03:37 PM »
Great report, will have to consider a couple of days there.
BTW... you did not  suggest the ladies should advertise on here did you? LOL

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »
Thanks Neil my gargantuan buddy i enjoyed that read.....i have thought about going to Antalya and from what you have posted it sounds interesting...I also am not a lover of big cities and couldn't live in one although i don't mind visiting for maybe a week....(i loved istanbul )..it sounds like the old town is the sort of place i'd be comfortable in....maybe consider going by myself at some point,Mrs L would prefer Kalkan allday everyday!
how did you find out about the ladies that aren't? i hope you didn't have too big a shock!! :o :o
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »
OOHH!   Are they like the "ladies" on Boogie Street in Singapore ;) ;) ;)

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 05:22:07 PM »
Correct mj,and if they hear you call them a tranny,run !!!!!!!
Big blue buddy,go on your own,I did,the old town will suit you down to the ground,its big enough for a good wander about with a few nice scenic beer stops on the way,and its very safe if you are on your own,the people of Antalya are just like the people in Kalkan,really helpful and friendly,I would say stay at the La Paloma,its in a really good position,in the old town,but 5 mins walk from the main street in new Antalya,and my new fave place just accross the street  ;D .
If you do go,let me know I can sort you out a free Kebap,Im sure Yusuf will welcome you with open arms.
I might get over before xmas,but for sure may/june next year.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »
Give Antalya a try Joan,great for a few days and then a transfer to Kalkan,10 mins from the airport.
LADIES ! haha from what I saw they dont need to take out any ads,but they did make sitting in a bar people watching very entertaining  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: >:D

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 05:39:28 PM »
I forgot to mention all the ancient ruins,they are everywhere,turn a corner and you will find another(no blue buddy,not the street girls).
the "ladies" of a different kind,I found out from my late night drinking partner at the Berlin,he works there and kept asking if I "wanted one" until the,ahem,different ladies walked past,he then told me " no,not those they are not good for you" I was in stitches,and of course declined any offers or mates rates.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 05:55:15 PM »
I will try and sort some photos out,If I can get my head around it,Im a bit of a numbty when it comes to things like that.
watch this space ! maybe ?

Neil.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 06:09:09 PM »
Great report thanks for sharing with us Neil

Antler has done some good instructions on how to use the Gallery :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 07:05:25 PM »
Hey Fidi Neil!! just seen your photo in the gallery....you are smaller than i thought but i like your blue & white check shirt ;D :angel:

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 07:49:47 PM »
HaHa,It must have been the weight on my shoulders,that was the first night,only been in Antalya for 2 hrs,the day after I was about 4ft taller.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »
I managed to get 1 pic on ek,but now the rest wont download,I shall keep trying.   ???

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »
Great report, Neil, makes me want to visit Antalya at some point...the "ladies" sound very...erm...entertaining ;) :)

Did you then go to Kalkan from Antalya?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 02:04:20 PM »
Thanks K4E,I think that was my first ever REAL report,Iwill have think of some more things about Antalya,Its worth a try going to Antalya and its only about ten mins transfer..Brilliant ! Antalya airport is a lot smaller than Dalaman and its cheaper for food and drink and It never seems that busy.
I didnt manage to get to Kalkan this time,but I will be coming home next year again,and I will be going back to Antalya again,maybe for a few nights before xmas and for sure longer next year,and when you think of the cost of a transfer from Dalaman to Kalkan,you dont mind paying a bit more for your flights to Antalya,as the transfer is only £10-15,The hotels can work out a lot cheaper as well,I was chatting to a lady from Finland (no..not one THOSE ladies  ;D  ) and she was paying 8 tkl a night !!!!!  she was writing a book and was there for 3month so got a special deal.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 03:17:28 PM »
I think I have managed to add some more pics from my Antalya trip,maybe ?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 04:18:20 PM »
yes, you have and they're pretty good, Neil! Really love the look of the old town - is that your hotel with the pool? The contrast with the "new" town is quite unreal...that's definitely not my cup of tea :P

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 06:15:47 PM »
Yes K4E,the pool is at the La Paloma,its in a really nice little court yard sort of setting.
the contrast with the old and new town is a bit of a shock,but you really dont need to go into the new town unless you want a tram to the Konyaalti beach or to do some shopping.

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 07:21:43 PM »
We stayed in the old town for 2 nights and quite enjoyed that area although it was really quiet. I thought it would've been a lot busier. The city however was busy, not really impressed, and we used the tram to get about (2.5TL pp). We were warned by a Turkish man we met on the tram that Antalya was a dangerous place and not to trust anyone. We got ripped off in a kebab shop, 35TL for 2 lamb doners with soft drinks - and people say Kalkan's expensive! We won't make that mistake again.

If you do fly into Antalya, it's easy and cheap to get a bus transfer to Kalkan. The 202 bus runs from the otogar to the domestic terminal (2.5TL) and the Bati Antalya bus between Kalkan and Antalya is 20TL. The Ulusoy bus also runs between Kalkan and Antalya and although cheaper and quicker, is only like a minibus so probably not as comfortable as the Bati Antalya.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 08:46:11 PM »
WOW  :o  that much for 2 kebaps and soft drinks ! should of been no more than 15 tkl.
I suppose Antalya can be a dodgy place,its a big city and like any other city if you get round the back streets its not to nice,but I did like the old town,and the peace and quiet,I am already after flights for a few days in november.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

smiley
Holiday report

Started by lyndsey on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 12:26:01 PM
by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Holiday report

Started by cleworthallray on Holiday Reports and Reviews

11 Replies
Last post September 18, 2010, 10:01:12 AM
by cleworthallray
xx
Holiday Report

Started by ladybird on Holiday Reports and Reviews

12 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 01:23:48 PM
by Chrissie
xx
HOLIDAY REPORT

Started by TC on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 06:07:58 PM
by HolmfirthNicky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Romantic evening

Views: 2410
By: headroom
Marina mosque