Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Calling all owners - what's your best advise for newbie buyers?  (Read 9883 times)

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • space sense
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Hi all.
As you have been through the process of buying a place in Kalkan, I wonder if you might take the time to give your opinion as to the best way to approach this for a "first time buyer".
Having read most of the last couple of years entries on this section of the forum, I see that things have changed in recent years, also some have had positive experiences, others not so.
The EK page on buying a property in Turkey is very informative and covers a lot of legal stuff - but I'm also interested in the stuff you wish you'd known about, or think is relevant in todays market.
If possible it would be good to get a current picture from those in the know, the benefit of your insights will be invaluable to the rest of us thinking of joining you.
What would be your top tips?
Thanks in advance.
Lori

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6196.0
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:28:46 PM by lorilou »
if you can walk you can dance

Offline vicky b

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Calling all owners - what's your best advise for newbie buyers?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 06:38:12 PM »
Make sure you go with a reputable agent. We bought our apartment 4 years ago and found Bridget at 2 Black Lions very helpful and knowledgeable. Our sale was smooth and efficient and we were happy to trust Bridget at Black Lions. We love our little place in Paradise - and can't wait for our next visit :)

Offline Hummingbird

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
We bought through Bridget at Blacklion too and would recommend her without hesitation.  There are other good agents I am sure but Bridget has the knack of finding out what you are looking for through her questioning so you do not waste your time with the wrong viewings.  She also has a very good knowledge of the area and was extremely helpful when it came to furnishings etc.  She speaks Turkish so it was a great help when she was prepared to speak to suppliers for us even sorting out problems with them.
We were completely at ease with Bridget and there was no pressure whatsoever.
I would definitely use an Independent Solicitor, we also went out of town for the extra protection and used Alev (a Lady) in Kas who is lovely.
We only completed this year and love it so I hope you have similar success. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any further assistance

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:12:05 PM »
Thanks very much to vicky b and Hummingbird. Great advise to use an out of town solicitor, Hummingbird - I will take up your kind offer of a PM once we have a better idea of what's available.
I appreciate your suggestions, BlackLion sound great!
Lori

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:04:04 PM »
I can recommend Arif, at Vesta Homes (under the Nar Bar). He's a very helpful agent. We also used Alev in Kas as our solicitor for our last purchase (which was complicated)  and she was very helpful.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
Always , but always, speak to people who have lived here in Kalkan a while, ask about who built the property,  - check with your potential neighbours - visit the place morning , noon and night and on different days [you dont suddenly want to find you have loud music etc etc near to you] and don't believe all that estate agents tell you, always check, as they want to sell you something and they will not be living in it - you will !!!
Also ask to see the TAPU [i.e. the ownership deed] if they can't produce it don't buy as this is the ONLY proof of ownership - ideally do not pay for the property until you have been to th Maliye in Kas and your name is on it - payment here is not proof of ownereship !!
Usually may be better to buy resale, at least all the problems may have been ironed out!!
And if there is a space in front of the property, do not believe anyone who tells you nothing will be built there - as invariably it will be - and in Kalkan it's the view that adds value to the property
Always employ a solicitor of your own , not the agents, and always one who is not based in Kalkan.

Otherwise - good luck :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:00:44 AM by kevincat99 »

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
We did as KevinCat said and purchased a resale property at Patara Prince, whilst we have had to "update" it to our tastes we know our view, which is outstanding, will never change  :)

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 10:25:14 AM »
I would echo all of the above, research, research, research. We bought several years ago, we were lucky and our sale went smoothly. Talk to people who have purchased from the same builder, randomly, not just the ones that they suggest. Consider your location very carefully remember there is no right to a view so think carfully what space is around you could it be built on.
Use an independent solicitor as they will have your best interest at heart. However efficient, friendly and helpful the estate agents are at the end of day they working for the Vendor, just as they do over here.
Isis

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 10:31:39 AM »
Gosh thanks for all of this information.
I see the benefit of a resale property - from the point of 'legalities' and that you will be easier able to see what your location will be like next year as well as this ... have friends who bought in Spain and despite their best efforts it all went very pear shaped - returned for a short holiday one day and found a 4 story apartment block right in front of their balcony! Nothing they could do ...
Which is why I thought it would be an idea to get your collective views in one thread ...
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Thanks for yours.
Exciting! But I see the need to keep your head... Very grateful to you.
L

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 06:24:56 PM »
We bought a property at Patara Prince 6 years ago, used a London solicitor which had a turkish legal team. As EK said our outstanding views are guaranteed as the complex is on the waters edge. Be very careful where you buy and as said research, research, research!!  The Tapu is important, we heard of some people who bought in Calis Beach where the builder was 'looking after' the Tapu! A very expensive lesson was learnt!!
When choosing a solicitor would suggest you choose from personal recommendations rather than one who may be tied up with the agent.

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 06:37:15 PM »
msr - thank you, another check box to put on my list!
One of the lovely things is the positive feeling from those of you who have successfully negotiated the property ownership minefield! it's clearly "doable" but steady head (and heart) essential ...
you are all very kind to respond. Once again, thanks.
Lori

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 02:00:57 AM »
Hi Lorilou, my best piece of advice, and you say it yourself....
  'KEEP YOUR HEAD', listen to everything that is said to you and then double check, sales people can be very convincing.
 Beware of any new 'best friends' and remember no-one is doing you any 'special favors above the call of duty' no matter how convincing, they are earning a living in a country where it is difficult to earn a living, beware!
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 09:38:37 AM »
Thanks Kim21 - Will brace ourselves! (And it may get even harder for people to make their living, given the latest news about property ownership ....)

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 03:22:56 PM »
And note that as of about 2 weeks ago, you must get a residence permit and a Turkish ID number (kimlik) before you can close the sale and have your tapu.  As it takes at least a month to get the kimlik after getting the residence permit, start early!  It will also require a Turkish bank account with a hefty deposit in it.  Check KTLN for all the reqs.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »
Yes - good advise Cosetta, thanks.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 01:15:08 PM »
It is no longer necessary to get a residence permit to buy a property, that has been rescinded.

Offline Cheesecake

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 04:46:25 AM »
Hi lorilou, try reading the thread, 'buying advice - split from hello' in 'buying a property & real estate section'
 Good Luck

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 10:20:55 AM »
Thanks for that, Cheesecake - sometimes there's so much info within posts that sometimes it's hard to dig out!. Thank heaven for the search facility ...

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 05:59:36 PM »
Once your purchase is completed make sure that the electric and water are in your name. Also you'll have to go to the belediye and register for council tax, they don't send out letters like in UK. If you buy on a complex, electric and water bills can be left by the meter when read and these can get lost. Better to set up a direct debit to pay them than risk being disconnected if you're not living there permanently.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 07:00:05 PM »
Hi littlelin - yes thanks for this - there has been a thread with this issue just over the last few days ... so many things to consider - all going on the list ...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Calling all doggy owners in Kalkan ...

Started by ozzie on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post February 03, 2010, 01:08:46 AM
by ozzie
xx
Calling Uk from Kalkan

Started by nerissa on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 04:49:22 PM
by nerissa
xx
Calling home

Started by bennyboo on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 01:46:39 PM
by Elee
xx
ANOTHER QUESTÄ°ON TO OWNERS THAT RENT OUT OT TO HOTEL OWNERS

Started by Random on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 07:06:49 PM
by MartynE

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal