Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Mozzie Update  (Read 4993 times)

Offline mike and lyn

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Mozzie Update
« on: August 09, 2010, 12:56:07 PM »
Hi
Can anyone provide an update on the mozzie situation in Kalkan.  I recall the town was sprayed twice earlier this summer due to the persistence of our little friends.  Last year I wasn't troubled at all and I really don't want to be mozzie food this year if I can help it, so any news would be welcome!
Thanks

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6119.0

Offline Em

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Mozzie Update
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:53:42 PM »
Wasn't too bad when we were there two weeks ago, didnt have to go around the villa with sprays etc. However I always put some anti moss spray on my skin in the evenings, especially when going off into town.

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »
The mozzie guys were spraying last week, must admit, we've had very little problems with the little devils this year at all. Only time I use anti mozzie spray is if I'm going into town in the evening, other wise not needed it......The mozzie guys are doing a great job keeping them down................Hope you a great time.............

Offline mike and lyn

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 08:30:46 PM »
Thanks for the info on the mozzie situation, and I'm sure we'll have a great holiday. ttfn

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 08:11:33 AM »
Don't forget to put your Mozzie stuff on if you are going out of kalkan....some people only went as far as Akbel and were getting bit...we found this year no problems (with help of Boots repel) ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Leigh

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 02:33:15 PM »
Hi, I have just returned yesterday from a 2 week stay and have never been bitten as much.  Hubby the same too - didn't seem to matter whether you sprayed yourself or not (although I assume that it must have helped) - but we seemed to get bitten most days particularly on the ankles and arms.  I think Kalkan was sprayed once during our stay.  Strangely enough I seemed to get bit more when I was wearing maxi dresses!!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 03:16:21 PM »
I can really only speak for Kalamar, but we have had no problems once the mosquito sprayers got into their stride
They started a little later this year - but now come round on a regular basis to spray the air, waste land and last week lifted all the drain covers in the streets and sprayed them as well.
When we came here 5 years ago as soon as dusk arrived you had to go indoors as it was so bad, but now, no problems at all as we even sleep with the large bedroom windows wide open and no screens
Maybe it affects different areas of Kalkan differently!!

Offline ian

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 03:32:42 PM »
We got back yesterday after staying in our house in Kiziltas, didnt bother with mozzie spray after the first night and neither of us had a bite, I normally get a few but struggle far more with the olive flies which I thought were awful this year. I wonder if it is down to which area of Kalkan you are staying in.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 04:32:57 PM »
weirdly, ian, I was only bitten when we went up to Kiziltas this year...but I was bitten good! Think once you have been bitten, it acts as a homing device for the others as you get a whole stack more :(
Tried every remedy under the sun....and have to rely on super strength antihistamines from the pharmacy in Kalkan to stop them turning into cellulitis ::)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline ian

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 06:15:21 PM »
 :D   Poor you!!!!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 06:30:17 PM »
I pity people who have to look at me, actually ;D ;D ;D

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:39 PM »
Try toothpaste on bites, weird but it works..........I'm in Kiziltas had no problems with mozzies this year or in Akbel when we go for our favourite pide fix.................

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 01:17:57 PM »
Toothpaste! Have to give it a try nothing else works for me, got bitten to bits in June although some of the worse bites didn't look like mossies, they came up in enormous blisters all around my ankles, they didn't itch but were quite painful  :'(. The pharmacist and a few Turkish friends seemed to think they were some sort of spider bites and we had squished a few around the pool. Tried to hide my ankles when we were out in public they looked so gross, enough to put people off their meals  :o Hope the little blighters aren't so hungry when we're out there on the 23rd still got the huge white patches from last time where the blisters eventually burst. Just wondering has anyone else experienced problems with these sort of blighters.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 02:22:54 PM »
Yes Mrs L got one...i posted a few weeks back about these little gits!.....my flippen floppen makes a mess of spider giblets  >:D

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 02:31:35 PM »
Good for you Blue Lizard! My Hubby managed to squish a few when we were by the pool but he always seemed to use my flippen-floppens not his, wonder why that was ??? Perhaps they're splattered more effectively with diamonte ones!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 02:42:25 PM »
oooh a girl after my own heart...diamante flip flops ;D ;D 

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 03:08:38 PM »
Glad it's not just me and at least you spelled it properly  ::) Yes I have a diamante flip-flop obsession, have to avert my eyes from anywhere that sells them. Bought yet another pair last week, trouble is when it gets time to pack I can't decide which ones to take and how many I can squeeze into my hand-luggage  ??? My excuse for buying them is they are the only suitable shoes to wear in Kalkan and of course handy for killing pesky insects!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »
OMG, we must be separated at birth!!!
ALL my diamante flip flops and sandals go in my hand luggage - I take about 6 pairs with me..I KNOW I KNOW, I only have one pair of feet!! ::) ::)
Mine must never be used for bug bashing...oh no. Respect to the diamante flip flop, where respect is due. NOW is the perfect time for buying them as they are in the sales, so you are actually saving money :angel: :angel:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:09:02 PM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 06:12:35 PM »
Hey if your a bug and you are about to get squished what better way to go than the last thing that went through your bug brain was a bit of sparkle!!...doesn't make the transition into being a dead bug any better but if your going ...go in style :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 06:22:55 PM »
..BL, you're not actually suggesting bugs be bashed diamante side down are you...? :o
Wash your mouth out with soap and water!! :-*

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mozzie update

Started by BYBV on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 05:16:51 PM
by tortoise lady
xx
Mozzie Busters

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post June 06, 2019, 05:39:48 PM
by Bob & Jayne
question
Mozzie Busters?

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

22 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 09:48:23 AM
by BarbH
xx
Mozzie Bites!

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

36 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 04:32:27 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Front pool at Korsan

Views: 4435
By: Chucky
Harbour