Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Electricity Bills Gone Up!!?  (Read 9184 times)

Offline Em

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Electricity Bills Gone Up!!?
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:11:25 PM »
Anyone noticed a big change in the cost of electric? or is it just me? :o

Also has anyone got any suggestions as to how to keep the bills down, we have a couple of indoor lights on sensors, the outside and pool lights are on timers, even got a hose to water the garden flowers on a timer!!! however the water bill is another story

We ask the guests in the welcome pack to turn things off, air con units etc when they go out, but sometimes people forget...

Has anyone used/bought a key card type of system here?, like they have in hotels...the key card is welded !!! to the villa key, so guests have to take it out of its connector as they leave the villa therefore all electric is switched off apart from the fridge which would not be put into the electric loop...  when guest return, they put card back in connector..... ?????

Em

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5893.0

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
Re: Electricity Bills Gone Up!!?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 03:05:43 PM »
Yes Em, electricity has gone up, twice I think since last summer.
Some friends of mine had a problem where while they were in England over the winter, builders were hooking up to their supply board! I gather that this is quite a regular thing, even if you padlock the meter cupboard.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 04:44:18 PM »
I have been looking at old electricity bills, while the cost has gone up its not by much. Leaving air con on or pool lights or using electric water heaters has a much greater impact on bills. Fitting timers for pumps and pool lights and fitting modern air con would reduce costs. The same can be said for modern solar panels.

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »
What next?   Will we ( us poor, unsuspecting, looking forward to our holiday villa renters have to pay for flushing the loo?)  I am not holding my breath over this suggested wheeze (or do I mean wee's!), but surely increased cost's can be built into future price structuring?  After all, it is Kalkan, not Costa Cor Blimey!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 06:31:57 PM »
Em, we've stayed in property that has the system you are talking about - so its doable. I'd suggest that the washing machine is also included with the fridge on the seperate loop because I'd be pretty fed up if I'd put a load in then went out for the day and came back to see it hadn't even started (considering how long even the quick washes are..) If you PM me I'll send you details of the places we've stayed so you can contact the owners directly.
Personally, I don't have a problem with it....except the connector is often too large for my stupidly small bag :)  We always switch off air con/lights etc when we go out, but its a useful device if you've forgotten.
Its about saving energy as much as anything else.. ::)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 08:20:33 PM »
I'd be interested too in details of the key card things.
While we could factor in excess use of electric in next years prices that is hardly fair on those clients who do turn the leccy off.
On the other hand I had one person in June last year who ran up a £200 bill for us. I don't think any new clients would like to have that factored in!

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:38:59 PM »
We were talking to someone who lives in Fethiye and who has had solar hot water fitted and it only costs about 1200t - l think - it may have been £1200!  I know that wont help with air con costs but it will make a big difference when electricity isn't needed to heat the water for showers etc.
Comnpared with the rest of Europe, solar doesn't seem to be very popular in Kalkan, but I'm sure it will be in the future - we would definately get it if we rented out, or if we lived there.
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 08:41:53 PM »
Back to my previous post re building extra cost's into rentals,  I own a rental property here in the UK -  yes, I agree we will get some tenants who take the p..s, that goes without saying,   BUT if you cut corners to start with, you have no room to manoeuvre!     

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »
http://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php/topic,880.msg7608.html#msg7608
Em, see this link for when the card keys was last discussed

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 08:54:52 PM »
Take out energy saving light bulbs. They are very, very expensive in Turkey and it will help reduce the waste of electricity.

I think Maryjane the objection isn't to people using electricity it is blatent waste of electricity that is the problem. Example of this are leaving the aircon on 24/7 with all the windows open and leaving all the lights on when they go out for the night. Personally we have been very lucky and our guests have been very respectful of our apartment and of wasting the world resources but I know that isn't true for everyone.

Offline Em

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:21:59 AM »
Thanks all for the constructive ideas' most of which we do..

Wendy I agree with you in that I didn't want to put the cost of the villa up making the many pay for the few! the few who forget to turn things off.

Example: we have a lovely bunch of guests at the mo' but one couple in the group keep leaving their bedroom air-con on. As most of us know when you get back into the villa and put the air-con on it only takes all of a few mins for the room to cool down. So this is partly why my husband and I had been discussing how to solve this dilemma.!? Well he had a small brain wave last night.... after they had gone out, and left the bedroom aircon on again, he decided to try something....Please don't all shout at me for this as I don't want him to do it again ........ no we didn't break in !!!! but he switched the electric off at the mains. When he switched it back on, the air-con did not come back on...he said the reason it worked was something to do with the air-cons being remote controll.

Anyway confession over, I am off to have a look at them ore leagal information in the link from JoanH

Have Fun all
Em

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 10:44:23 PM »
Nice one Em! I know there is a thread on here somewhere concerning the fitting of timer switches that cut in/out/on/off up to four times a day. I am considering trying those but want to find out a bit more first.

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 12:02:59 AM »
We have an energy save key attached to the door keys which shuts off everything except the fridge and cable tv when it is removed so if guests forget to turn off air con units and lights before they go out they will go off within a few seconds when the key is removed.  However, we found that some of the air con units which were older models came back on automatically when the key was inserted again so we had to get new cut out switches fitted inside the units to resolve this.  We also have the pool and garden lights on a timer as some guests were leaving these on all day and night during their stay (and we have forgotten to turn them off ourselves a few times!).  The cost of electricity and water has gone up a lot in the last couple of years and it's worth trying anything that may keep these costs down so if anyone else has any tips on saving energy or water please spread the word! ;)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 09:06:14 PM »
Take out energy saving light bulbs. They are very, very expensive in Turkey and it will help reduce the waste of electricity.

Don't try putting energy saving light bulbs in your hand baggage. I didn't know it at the time when they confiscated mine at Bournemouth last year but, they are a banned item. They have Mercury in them. (Which can be used in timing devices and fuses.) I'm not sure about them in hold bags though, assume the same applies really.

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 09:35:57 PM »
- Hi Kalkanbelle  - where did you get your key card system from? Who fitted it? How much was it? Seems one of the better ideas I've seen here.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »
Wendy, see the link on this thread that I posted for Em

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 11:15:32 PM »
Our caretaker arranged it for us but I think it was Benli that did it.  The cost was around £90 but it might vary according to what you want to be included in the cut out circuit and how much wiring has to be done.  Pool and garden light timers were also fitted by Benli.

Offline Em

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 03:32:29 PM »
We have been given a quote of 300 lira to have the key card system fitted to the rental villa. Which we thought was a good price considering the kit needed and work involved.

Will let you know how we get on with it once it is installed, our daughter is having a holiday for next 10 days here with us, so will be good to test it out on her ...... 

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 04:44:24 PM »
Should pay for itself and also be "Green".
Keep us updated, EM
Joan

Offline butterfly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 01:52:25 PM »
I went on the Fethiye Times site to see if there was any more news about new visa regs (there wasn't) and found an interesting article on electricity bills. Apparently, there are different tariffs for different times of day and after 10.00 pm the cost is the cheapest.  However, their authority is Mugla, does anyone know whether this applies to Antalya too?

If this is the case, then I shall be doing clothes and dishwashing late into the night. Also, I've just started turning off my immersion heater when not is use.  Do you think it will make a difference? 

My bill has soared this year, last one for 3 weeks 3 to 24 June for me alone and with v little use of a/c and no pool, was 214tl!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:58:10 PM by butterfly »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Electricity Bills

Started by alantj on Living In Kalkan

15 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 09:35:09 PM
by tiamaria
xx
Electricity Bills

Started by kevincat99 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 10:11:57 PM
by zola
xx
Electricity bills.

Started by baclava on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post May 24, 2019, 06:28:58 PM
by baclava
xx
Xfer of name on electricity, water bills from builder to owner

Started by Hannah Smith on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 10:41:36 PM
by jfm

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Town Beach

Views: 2796
By: misty
Patara