Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: 1st time in kalkan, What turkish food should i be trying?  (Read 4278 times)

Offline JEL

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
1st time in kalkan, What turkish food should i be trying?
« on: July 07, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »
Going on holiday to kalkan for the first time on monday. In fact first time in Turkey. Can't wait, we are really exited. Anyway, whenever i go to foreign countries I like to try some of the local food. What local turkish dishes should i be trying. Whats the best must have dish, and, if anything, whats the worst?  Also what places are the best value for eating out, and what places are places i just have to eat at? Look forward to all your responses. ;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5858.0

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: 1st time in kalkan, What turkish food should i be trying?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:09:12 PM »
My lastest fave is kavurma.  I've had it with lamb, chicken or prawns and basically the meat is cooked with peppers, onions and spices and brought to the table in a heated 'wok'.  It's yummy and I like it best just served with salad and bread to dip into it.  ;D
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:20:19 PM »
yes thats nice......avoid a drink called Ayran at all costs..rancid milk with yoghurty stuff ,salt etc..totally vile
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline ian

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 10:24:46 PM »
I shudder at the very mention of the word Ayran, its a salty yoghurt drink - totally disgusting, its the worst taste that has ever passed my lips....my wife loves it.

You should try mezes, pide, kebabs, local bread, fish, simple salads, tomatoes (taste so much better than at home). Turkish food is lovely!

Offline Hippyshake

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 02:30:07 PM »
The food in Kalkan is generally an American/British style adaptation - it is virtually impossible to find authentic Turkish food. My oh is half Turkish and we have spent time travelling round Turkey eating lots of traditional food - and I love it! I adored Kalkan and had the best holiday ever but was a bit disappointed on the food front (just in terms of the Turkishness). But there is loads of lovely food to be had, you just have to accept that you're not going to get traditional Turkish fare.

Traditionally in Turkey you eat lots of hot and cold "meze" dishes to begin with - which will include lots of aubergine dishes, little salads (as said above the tomatoes are amazing), yoghurt based dishes, hot pastries filled with white cheese and meats - and then you have a main of grilled/bbq'd meat (different style kebabs, chops etc.) or fresh fish. A famous lamb dish is Tandir - where traditionally they cook the lamb in the ground for about a day - done properly it's incredible, the tenderest lamb you'll ever taste. All of the "wok style" dishes in sauces found around Kalkan aren't really Turkish. Also the shellfish/squid etc. in Kalkan is frozen - even at the high end places (the bass/barr and those types of fish is generally fresh though I believe). Apparently they don't catch enough (our fault for overfishing the oceans). I did have calamari a couple of times and it was still nice - but I personally think they shouldn't be charging so much for frozen sea food, or else not feature it so heavily on the menus. Also the mashed potato that I had in one of the best restaurants (which is a beautiful restaurant in all other respects and one of our favourites) was definitely out of a packet - but then the Turks aren't big mashed potato eaters! The freshly cut chips are amazing though.

One of the restaurants by the harbour towards the end just by the beach, I can't remember the name but it has a big waffle stand at the front - does a really lovely fresh Turkish breakfast.

For dessert you should definitely try Hosmerin (it's similar to treacle pudding), Baklava and finally Kunefe (if you can find it).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:07:23 PM by Hippyshake »

Offline The Engineer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
    • The Engineer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »
A really nice light lunch dish is "Menemen" it is loose scrambled eggs with peppers onions and a little chilli to taste all cooked in olive oil. Great with some fresh bread to dip in.
There isc a new restaurant along the Kalamar road called Chilli's that does good Turkish Cuisine and you get "Puffy Bread" with butter and crimbley cheese free to start with which is a must try.

M

M

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
Definitley tomatoes(they really do taste nicer than ours!), Efes, Raki, mezze, pide, baklava, kebabs, and borek(feta cheese inside filo pastry), ENJOY!!
Nicky

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Food cravings for anything Turkish?

Started by yoyo on The Everything Else Area!

0 Replies
Last post March 15, 2008, 02:51:11 PM
by yoyo
xx
Good Turkish food

Started by elcee on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

12 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 12:52:39 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
Traditional Turkish food

Started by MrsC1701 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

16 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 12:54:57 PM
by Lymmguineas
xx
Turkish food websites in UK & puffy bread!!

Started by goonernumber1 on Cooking

16 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 08:46:29 AM
by Lantana

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal