Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Kalkan Taxi Debate  (Read 34672 times)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: The Kalkan Taxi Debate
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »
Vicksen and others -

May I just point out than NOT ALL villa/property owners rent out their properties, we for one do not so are not making any profit out of our house, & no doubt we are not alone, for those of you who are aware of our circumstances it has cost us very dear indeed so we are just enjoying it. So please, don''''t put us all in the same mould.

As for anyones personal /financial/or otherwise situation whether they have two houses or more really has nothing to do with any one else but themselves, so should not be maligned for doing so.

As already stated we are fortunate enough not to have to rely on the taxis service, but I will clarify one thing from our previous post, when we did want our shopping delivered that evening we were not expecting a lift home and infact had already prior to finishing our shop made it clear we would walk  home and await the delivery, the taxi driver in question was not even allowing that.

We may not be living there but some of us are still interested enough to find out what is going on in various ways.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 04:33:33 PM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2008, 10:59:44 AM »
Well said DRBD. We do rent out our villa, but only for a few weeks. I like to be in Kalkan too much to rent it out any more. Even with the income, it costs an arm and a leg to have property in Kalkan, what with paying utility bills, gardening, cleaning, pool maintenance and tax on rental income and we don''t make a profit. We''re going to Kalkan on Monday to pay for various things, including the cost of a wall to prevent the recurrence of flood damage we suffered in October. We didn''t buy our property to make money, we just love being in Kalkan.

Offline Kim

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2008, 01:28:30 PM »
Yes Talide, we too bought, not for profit, but because we loved Kalkan, had made friends there over the 11 years we have been visiting and wanted the freedom of coming out as much as we can, so we also don''t rent out our property.  We also bought in 2002 and at that time, there were very few Brits (or other foreign buyers) who had bought properties, so we did''nt have many options if we wanted to rent (now there are stacks!).

Over the years prices have gone up considerably in almost all areas; restaurants, furniture, builders, you name it...we were lucky we bought everything when we did, because we have found even the price of getting curtains made, has gone up x 4 times.  I still have the bill we paid for having everything from beds, through to electrical white goods, to getting tables and other furniture made in Kalkan by local craftsmen.  There were no furniture shops or any home shops around at all.  Comparied to what we have paid recently when we have ordered additional items, prices have gone up a lot.

I guess the more people have bought in Kalkan, the more demand there is and where there is demand businesses will spring up to supply, and often at a premium. 

But then i think that can apply to other purchases as well. 

We just make sure if we are needing to use taxis particularly during very hot spells, we don''t let it spoil our holiday.  We have a choice and sometimes we do like to walk, so we do a bit of both.

To be honest, I would rather pay the taxi fare and be comfortable, than to pay the hugely inflated prices some of the bars and hotels are charging for a Gin and Tonic these days (both Turks and English owners).

I bet if eveyone was to compare what their drinks bill was before Kalkan became popular, they would get a shock! 

Unfortunately, the increase in taxi prices co-incided with a lot of bad attitudes and nasty public displays from the drivers, and that has left a bad taste in a lot of people''s mouths, understandably so.

We still compare the costs of everything we do when we are in Kalkan with other places around the world and are still more than happy with the standards of service and quality generally, so have stopped moaning about it now (because we did when we were there last year!).

Looking forward to our 1st visit of 2008!!

Offline bluefudge11

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2008, 04:16:23 PM »

Yes us Foreigners who visit Kalkan once a year  can make our own choices but if a group of people "trying to make a living" act like demons then they will be "demonised"
And if it is all above board and the cost of this, that and the other taxes fines etc, are across the board, then why still no answers as to why the Taxi fares vary so much  for the same journey.?
I would defend anyone who is trying to make an honest living (it''s what us  Foreigners do all year so we can visit Kalkan) .But If I went to a bar and was charged differant prices every time for the same drink i, I would question it. If I received a mouthful of abuse from the barman, then I would be writing about that too!  I''m not because they don''t

It is not the cost of Taxis that is the concern to me but  it''s the rip off tactics and the abuse that is not acceptable.

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2008, 09:03:24 AM »

"Even with the income, it costs an arm and a leg to have property in Kalkan, what with paying utility bills, gardening, cleaning, pool maintenance and tax on rental income and we don''t make a profit." 

Funnily enough I don''''t rent out my UK home but find I have these expenses to pay (well, no pool mantenance) - outrageous - why was I not told when I bought the house?  Surely Kalkan taxi drivers don''''t have such expenses?

No one had a gun held to their head and was forced to buy a property in Kalkan.  This was your choice and with that choice goes, as you noted above, a certain ongoing cost.  That''''''''s economics and certainly should not have come as a surprise.

I''m sure the taxi drivers would love to earn enough to struggle to buy a first property in "our" Kalkan let alone a 2nd home!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:14:04 AM by kalkanfan »

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2008, 09:14:26 AM »

"Even with the income, it costs an arm and a leg to have property in Kalkan, what with paying utility bills, gardening, cleaning, pool maintenance and tax on rental income and we don''''t make a profit." 

Funnily enough I don''''t rent out my UK home but find I have these expenses to pay (well, no pool mantenance) - outrageous - why was I not told when I bought the house?  Surely Kalkan taxi drivers don''''t have such expenses?

No one had a gun held to their head and was forced to buy a property in Kalkan.  This was your choice and with that choice goes, as you noted above, a certain ongoing cost.  That''s economics and certainly should not have come as a surprise.

Im sure the taxi drivers would love to earn enough to struggle to buy a first property in "our" Kalkan let alone a 2nd home!!

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2008, 10:04:39 AM »
Kalkanfan, I don''t recall saying anything about the prices taxi drivers charge. Of course they have to make a living. Obviously I was quite aware of the costs involved in buying a property in Kalkan. It was my choice as you so rightly said and I''m glad I was in a position to be able to do so.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2008, 10:58:19 AM »
Hi,

I have chosen to lock this topic for a while as I''m sure it could soon get much more heated!
Its interesting how the debate has gone full circle, from "outrageous increases" to "earning a fair living"

Its a situation that will always spark a debate, as taxi prices do in the UK! Taxis or walking, villa owner or visitor, tourist or ex-pat, I think its important to remember we are guests in Turkey and if we do not like something, its our choice if we use that service or not.

Jon.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Kalkan taxi

Started by alisa_wonder on Flights and Travel

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2018, 06:11:13 PM
by DRBD
xx
Taxi from Kalkan to Kas

Started by KalkanKat on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 07:47:37 PM
by kevincat99
xx
NEW KALKAN TAXI PRICES

Started by Enişte on Flights and Travel

17 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 08:33:24 AM
by Sulwath
recycled
Taxi fare from Kisla to Kalkan

Started by claire on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 08:54:45 AM
by littlelin

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

kaputas

Views: 3387
By: baykush
Kekova Trip