Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Kalkan Taxi Debate  (Read 34348 times)

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
The Kalkan Taxi Debate
« on: August 27, 2007, 07:15:58 PM »
Hi,

As almost everyone is aware there has been some discussion about the Taxi situation in Kalkan. I believe it is only right that everyone has their say, and I am very pleased to exclusively announce that Emre, a Kalkan Taxi driver has agreed to come on EnjoyKalkan to tell us the Taxi drivers side.

I''m sure you will all join me in thanking Emre for taking the time to discuss the Taxi drivers views.

Jon

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=579.0

Offline Kalkan Taxi

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: The Kalkan Taxi Debate
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »
Hı this is Emre the taxi driver from Kalkan if you ask me questions I will try to answer all I can. First I want to tell you about the taxi fares. I know you all think that they are really expensive. But we can''t do anything about fares because our taximeters is under control of a company like a local government who are responsible with taxis. They choose the prices of taximeters and only we can do is to obey those prices. And also they are not so expensive because we have been using the same taxi fares for 2 years and it had changed this year. But in these 2 years petrol (gas) prices goes up so much. But nobody said anything about this. Why doesnt anybody complain about this then? Why didnt anybody say that; "Hey, petrol (gas) fares going up why doesnt anybody do some increases to taxi fares?". I know you come to Kalkan for holiday and not spend so much. You have to save money as you can. But we all taxi drivers trying to do best for you. For example most of the taxi drivers takes 10 liras when taximeter shows 11 or 11.40 liras etc.
And you want to know why taxis move to car park. Our municipality wanted us to do it because they are going to build something over there as a park so they moved us to car park.
And about stopping the shuttle busses we -the taxi drivers- talked with the supermarkets owners to stop the free delivery services because during all time from the time they started to doing free service our works gone really low because people who dont want to pay for taxi they go to supermarket and buy a bread and a chips or something else and got the free service and can you all please tell me where we are going to earn money from? So we talked with supermarkets and stop the free service.
And another thing you want to know is what happened to  Samira Deluxe shuttle service. You know we call it Samira Deluxe Hotel shuttle service. So it has to take only Samira Deluxe Hotel''s customers. But as most of you know that shuttle service takes all people staying villas around Samira Deluxe Hotel. You just go to hotel and get a beer or something else and you have right to use that shuttle service. Then from where the taxi drivers earn money? Not form supermarkets not form the villas? From where?
And you complain about that the taxi fares in Kalkan is more expensive then Ä°stanbul. Let me tell you the reason for it. In Kalkan we -taxi drivers- only work for 6 months in winter there is not anywhere that we can get money from. We just spend what we earn during the summer. But in istanbul or in any city they work for all year. Then could you please tell me if we cost you the taxi fares as same as Ä°stanbul''s will you come Kalkan and stay here for 2 weeks in villas also in winter? If we can work for 12 months then you all be sure that the prices will be same with the other cities.

These are the things I can remember now that you comnplained about.But if you have any other questions please can you write me back and ask for them

Regards

Emre

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 08:16:28 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to answer some of the questions and giving your side Emre. I know you work to supplement your income for university

Offline jinfizzz

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
Thanks Emre.  I am sure everyone on here will understand the reasons behind the fare increases.  However a lot of people will be making other arrangements, whether it be on foot or by renting a car, so the taxi drivers are still not going to earn the same as their colleagues in Istanbul.  They will in fact be worse off than before.  It''s a catch 22 situation and one that will not be resolved easily.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 08:28:52 PM »
Emre it is very kind of you to give us your opinion.  You say that petrol costs have gone up.  Yes, you are right.  But taxis do not use benzene, they use yurtgaz.  And yurtgaz is YTL 1 / litre.  A car with yurtgaz can go and come from Dalaman airport with YTL 45 or less.

The increase in taxi fares is much more than the increase in the price of yurtgaz.  If there are too many taxis, not every taxi will earn well.  Too many restaurants, too many taxis.  Difficult for everyone to earn well.  Some people will have to find another way to make money.

It is true as you say that shopkeepers, taxi drivers, hotel and restaurant workers and travel agencies work only 6 months.  Many workers do construction in the wintertime to earn extra money, as you know.  Some look after people''s villas or their gardens.  Some go home to their villages.  We wish you could work here for 12 months of every year, but it is not possible for so many workers to do that.

Some tourists have already decided not to come to Kalkan next year.  They say they will go to Kas or somewhere else.  The taxi problem is not going to help Kalkan have more visitors.  It is not going to give you more business because people will start to walk, or hire a car or a motorbike. 

I hope you can find a good solution and a better way for everyone.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 08:42:52 PM by Cosetta »
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Kalkan Taxi

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 10:06:44 PM »
Emre it is very kind of you to give us your opinion.  You say that petrol costs have gone up.  Yes, you are right.  But taxis do not use benzene, they use yurtgaz.  And yurtgaz is YTL 1 / litre.  A car with yurtgaz can go and come from Dalaman airport with YTL 45 or less.

The increase in taxi fares is much more than the increase in the price of yurtgaz.  If there are too many taxis, not every taxi will earn well.  Too many restaurants, too many taxis.  Difficult for everyone to earn well.  Some people will have to find another way to make money.

It is true as you say that shopkeepers, taxi drivers, hotel and restaurant workers and travel agencies work only 6 months.  Many workers do construction in the wintertime to earn extra money, as you know.  Some look after people''''s villas or their gardens.  Some go home to their villages.  We wish you could work here for 12 months of every year, but it is not possible for so many workers to do that.

Some tourists have already decided not to come to Kalkan next year.  They say they will go to Kas or somewhere else.  The taxi problem is not going to help Kalkan have more visitors.  It is not going to give you more business because people will start to walk, or hire a car or a motorbike. 

I hope you can find a good solution and a better way for everyone.

Yes you are right some of the taxis work with Yurtgaz but it is not so cheap as you think. Coz my old taxi was working with yurtgaz but they cost us 0.20 lira per km and dalaman is 150 km one way and if you calculate it  300 x 0,20= 60 liras there and back. But if we talk about the new bigger ones they work with diesel and it costs us 45 or less thats true but thinkj about that we pay 7 lira for tunnel and 7 lira for parking and the remain money is for the work we done. Because you don''t know this but we go to dalaman sometimes 2 3 times a day and we get tired and who is going to pay it if we cost it 60 liras for dalaman or what are we going to earn then??Can you tell me this? Also you told me that some people says that they are going to go to KaÅŸ but if taxi fares change it changes all around turkey. Then how they are going to run away from increases?? :)
And about the counts of restaurants we can''t do anything about it. Everyone can do what they want as a job. No body can effect no one do do any job. I think in this way. Hope not be so rude.

Regards

Emre

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 11:09:48 PM »
7YTL for the tunnel??

Has the toll increased since May?

It was (single trip in a taxi) 3YTL.

Offline chorleyboy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 11:30:32 PM »
Hi Emre, how much will it cost me to get from town to the Paradise hotel at night, before 10pm?
Also, as there will be five of us, does this mean we will be charged more for a taxi as here in the UK where I live most taxis carry four passengers but can provide larger vehicles but at an extra cost?
Do most taxis only carry four passengers?
Thanks for your time in putting across your view, but can you please try to understand that some of us are on a budget, especially when bringing the family over too. Three children can seriously damage your wallet!!! Trust me!! :)
So,yes, I for one have to take taxi fares into consideration, so to get around this, we will probably stay at our villa a couple more nights than we were planning to, so we can hopefully get a taxi back up the hill once I have had many Efes when we do go into the town for a meal and drinks :)
So I personally do not think most members on here are being mean thinking of walking sometimes, they too will be on a budget and have to think about how much they used to spend on taxis before the increase.
I understand you have to make a living, but I can say the same for myself. But I do know if I could only work six months a year, I would not even be able to pay my bills, let alone have a holiday in Kalkan.
When we finally get to Kalkan it will be the first time abroad for nine,(yes 9) years as we have over this time booked holidays in Wales and England, staying in farm cottages, but being able to use my car to get out and about.
But good luck with your taxi, I hope you have many customers and prosperity.

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 12:00:18 AM »
Waiters, chefs etc only have a six month earning season, but have alternative employment during winter, returning home to work in the family business, or finding alternative seasonal employment or studying.  Taxi drivers hoping to earn a year''s wages in six months are being a bit overambitious!  It''s not a particularly strenuous occupation (although maybe it is given the standard of driving!)

Offline Kalkan Taxi

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 08:21:03 AM »
7YTL for the tunnel??

Has the toll increased since May?

It was (single trip in a taxi) 3YTL.
Hi Sally
Yes it is 3YTL but for one way.Do not forget we go to Dalaman and not stay there :) we come back to Kalkan also. So it costs us 6YTL and if we take our customers with minibus it costs us 7 lira for tunnel. Sorry for writing the tunnel fare wrongly but when I wrote it I was just arrived from Dalaman with my minibus and I just remember it :D

Offline Kalkan Taxi

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 08:24:45 AM »
Hi Emre, how much will it cost me to get from town to the Paradise hotel at night, before 10pm?
Also, as there will be five of us, does this mean we will be charged more for a taxi as here in the UK where I live most taxis carry four passengers but can provide larger vehicles but at an extra cost?
Do most taxis only carry four passengers?
Thanks for your time in putting across your view, but can you please try to understand that some of us are on a budget, especially when bringing the family over too. Three children can seriously damage your wallet!!! Trust me!! :)
So,yes, I for one have to take taxi fares into consideration, so to get around this, we will probably stay at our villa a couple more nights than we were planning to, so we can hopefully get a taxi back up the hill once I have had many Efes when we do go into the town for a meal and drinks :)
So I personally do not think most members on here are being mean thinking of walking sometimes, they too will be on a budget and have to think about how much they used to spend on taxis before the increase.
I understand you have to make a living, but I can say the same for myself. But I do know if I could only work six months a year, I would not even be able to pay my bills, let alone have a holiday in Kalkan.
When we finally get to Kalkan it will be the first time abroad for nine,(yes 9) years as we have over this time booked holidays in Wales and England, staying in farm cottages, but being able to use my car to get out and about.
But good luck with your taxi, I hope you have many customers and prosperity.

Hi
Sorry I have to go to a daliy excursions with my customers so not have time to answer yours but I will reply it when I get back to Kalkan.
Is there anyone want to do rafting?? :D ;)
See you in a min
Bye

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 09:48:49 AM »
Thanks Kalkan Taxi for joining the debate, and I guess passing the information on to other taxi drivers, we all as holiday makers and taxi drivers have our point to make, we were ok we caught 1 taxi a day and squeezed 5 people in so the cost not too bad, however if we had just been a couple and taken a daily trip or more we couldnt have afforded to do it, or we could but it would have made a big hole in the budget, which would have meant maybe no trips, or maybe missing a meal out or a few less beers as we couldnt afford the wine anyway, so some one will miss out, if you go with a budget of say £1000 for 2 weeks9(Iknow that wil sound a lot to you as it is also to us, we have to save all year for this, )then the budget is £1000 SO WE HAVE TO WORK OUT HOW WE WOULD BEST SPEND IT.I can not give up the beach club or a nice meal, so when I return to Kalkan I will make sure my Hotel Villa is near town so we can cut out on taxi''s and walk the short distance, so now Villa owners and hotels miss out. It is a hard one to solve but at least it is now been talked about by someone in the trade so hope it helps us all.

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 10:28:17 AM »
Waiters, chefs etc only have a six month earning season, but have alternative employment during winter, returning home to work in the family business, or finding alternative seasonal employment or studying.  Taxi drivers hoping to earn a year''''s wages in six months are being a bit overambitious!  It''''s not a particularly strenuous occupation (although maybe it is given the standard of driving!)

Perhaps it is not understood by those who suggest that taxi drivers and other seasonally employed workers can all find alternative employment in winter, that for the vast majority of seasonal workers there are  no alternative employment opportunities. A little research demonstrates that this is an  ill informed argument. It is not worth responding to the rather cheap jibe about taxi driving not being strenuous.

The annual unemployment rate in Turkey is 10.2% (in the UK it is 5.4%). There is no unemployment benefit in Turkey.  A third of the working population in Turkey is employed in the agricultural sector, this is seasonal, poorly paid and generally without any benefits.  In 2006, a survey carried out by the World Bank showed that over 60% of households in Turkey dependent on the agricultural sector for their living, earned less than £1,800 per YEAR  from that employment.

It is largely from this sector that taxi drivers, waiters, construction workers etc come, forced to seek their living in other forms of industry as earnings from the land cannot possibly support their families.

Annual inflation is 7.49 % in Turkey . It is less than 2.3% in the UK.

The average weekly wage in the UK for 2006 was £447.00

The average Monthly wage in Turkey (across all sectors of industry) is 1,144 ytl which works out at approx £125 per week.

The Thomas Cook Annual cost of Living survey for Turkey states that prices in Turkey are approximately one quarter less than in the UK, yet wages are more than 75% less than in the UK.

Should a taxi driver manage to find work in the construction sector in Kalkan in the winter, he can expect a daily wage of 35 ytl (or £14 ) and for that he will work a minimum 12 hour day.

Last year, a taxi driver I know got seasonal employment driving a minibus for Bati Antalya. For the Kalkan/Antalya round trip, he was paid 10 lira.  The round trip was over 350 miles and took over 8 hours. The 10 lira he earned daily  made it just possible for his family to scrape by in the winter.

If you don''t know about the economy of this country do some research. Anyone who can use the internet can find this information. Making sweeping statements about the availability of work - which are completely without foundation  - serves only to mislead readers and highlights the lack of credibility of those making the statements.

Lantana

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 11:03:34 AM »
I think at the end of the day - regular visitors to Kalkan will vote with their feet and simply stay in villas/apartments/hotels that are within walking distance to town so they don''t have to use the taxis - coz as has already been pointed out - people scrimp and save for their 2 weeks in paradise and will not want to give much of it away to taxi drivers - and has been shown by people on this forum that it can run into hundreds of pounds if you use taxis 2 or 3 times a day for 2 weeks - a not inconsiderable amount. First timers to kalkan will still use taxis and no doubt will think they are of a comparable price to elsewhere in the world (if not Turkey).  I appreciate that taxi drivers have to make a living by earning all their money in 6 months - but what I think is not good for kalkan, for tourism for locals or visitors are the reports of near gang violence occurring outside hotels like the Samira, intimidating guests and holidaymakers - that is NOT acceptable.  Also - I don''t like the hordes of taxis outside each supermarket - hounding people coming out - it is intimidating for some people (fortunately - I am not easily intimidated) - Emre - and Kalkantaxi - can you give a reply to this? 

Cheers!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 11:12:45 AM »
An excellent balanced post Lantana. Thank you.

Please could I also remind everyone that its nice that Emre has come on the site to let us know the Taxi drivers viewpoint an angle other websites do not have! Please do not use opportunity as a personal attack and instead use this opportunity for exchanging valid points.

Thanks

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 11:16:49 AM »
Yes an extremely eloquent post Lantana, it really puts things into perspective.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 11:22:13 AM »
Emre bey, no one says taxi drivers should not earn money.  Of course you have to earn more money than the cost of the trip.  The price to the airport is okay.  No one is complaining about the trip to the airport. The problem are the local taxi prices.  The price from Kalkan center to say Samira Deluxe or to Kalamar.  The distances are short, the prices are high.

There are many people who come here who have a limited amount of money to spend.  Not every foreigner has lots of money!  If the tourists or residents who live here decide that a taxi is too expensive, they will walk or they will hire a car. 

Sağlık ve refah içinde yaşasın!

May you live in good health and prosperity.

Offline Kalamar Bay

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 01:41:04 PM »

Merhaba Emre.

Thanks for the defence''s side of the debate.

I am concerned though that you state that, you, the taxi drivers talked to the supermarkets about the free '' goodwill '' service they provide to their customers. Have you been sucessfull in stopping this valued customer service practice, please advise...???. I really hope not though. Not everyone uses the service when they have only bought a couple of items. Myself and partner have property in deepest Kalamar Bay and when stocking up on weekly groceries etc we find this a very helpful service when loaded down with upto 6,7,8 bags. Whilst we do not expect to get a free service from the supermarkets it is always nice to be offered.

We would often walk down to the taxi rank with shopping and take a taxi anyway if the delivery service was being used by someone else.

I think you may well find it counter productive to alienate the people you aim to provide a service for.

Regards

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 01:47:38 PM »
sureley if taxis are metered correctly the same journey by different taxis should be the same price?we were quite a way out to walk in the heat and were charged different prices by different taxis...some differences were unbelievable :o
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline mouse

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 04:18:53 PM »
Well said Lantana.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Taxi from Kalkan to Kas

Started by KalkanKat on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 07:47:37 PM
by kevincat99
xx
Kalkan taxi

Started by alisa_wonder on Flights and Travel

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2018, 06:11:13 PM
by DRBD
xx
NEW KALKAN TAXI PRICES

Started by Enişte on Flights and Travel

17 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 08:33:24 AM
by Sulwath
recycled
Taxi fare from Kisla to Kalkan

Started by claire on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 08:54:45 AM
by littlelin

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal