Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Help with an idiot's guide to using my iphone in Kalkan  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Help with an idiot's guide to using my iphone in Kalkan
« on: March 23, 2010, 07:54:33 PM »
Evening all.  I have an iphone.  I love my iphone, it is a thing of wondrous beauty  :D.  Anyway, I know that I need to be very careful not to run up huge bills by mistake when in Kalkan.  Can someone who understands how these things work, tell me how I can access t'internet (seeing Peter Kay next month yay!) in Kalkan without coming back to a silly phone bill?  I'm guessing it will involve accessing some of the wifi places (which means I'll just have to buy an Efes and something to eat - tough, but there you go  :laugh:) .  But what settings do I need to turn on/off to use wifi without it costing me?  thank you wonderful forumites!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5199.0

Offline Mr Bluesky

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Help with an idiot's guide to using my iphone in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:24:16 PM »
Hi Rachey, first of all there's quite a few places around Kalkan that have wi-fi internet access.

1. Tap the 'settings icon' on your screen. In settings go down and tap on 'General', then tap 'Network'. In Network make sure you turn off 'Data Roaming' because this is what runs up your bill (turn it back on when you get back to UK). Come out of this and go back to using your phone as normal.

2. When you want to connect to the internet you'll need to find a hot-spot (somewhere they have wi-fi). A lot of wi-fi hot-spots require a password to access, I'm sure you can use your charm to ask a bar staff member or owner for their wi-fi password - if you're eating or drinking there, they'll probably be only too happy to give it you. Once you have this...

3. Tap on 'settings icon' again and then tap 'Wi-Fi icon' (make sure wi-fi is turned on) when you do this your iphone will start to search for available wi-fi connections. When you find the one relating to the establishment type their password in the box and Bob's your Uncle - you should now be on-line. Each time you visit the same place your phone should recognise this and connect to the internet straight away without the need to type in the password each time.

4. Enjoy Kalkan, hope this helps  ;D

If you want to keep your mobile bill down keep data roaming turned off all the time you are abroad. For email and connecting to internet using your iphone do it when you are at a hot-spot because this costs nothing. You may want to download the Skype App (App Store) as this is free for making skype to skype calls or you can add £10 credit which will last for hours if calling landline calls to the UK
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:45:02 PM by Mr Bluesky »

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 09:09:48 PM »
Thank you Mr Bluesky - that is just brilliant!  I'll copy your instructions and take them with me so I can access the wifi at the Merkez with a cold beer and plate of menemen -  ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:34:20 PM »
This is really useful Mr Bluesky. After my daughter's horrendous Blackberry bill last year - posted on the forum after I was revived with smelling salts ;D ;D - everyone who has an iphone or blackberry should make a note of these instructions. I had decided to leave my iphone at home and just take one of our old phones to Kalkan, but I think I'll give this a go....love the idea of Sykpe to make sure the "kids" aren't having a Facebook party at home  ;D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Mr Bluesky

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 02:47:05 PM »
Glad it's been of help.

Merkez Cafe; without doubt one of my top 10 world destinations - great place to relax and watch the world float by !
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:51:55 PM by Mr Bluesky »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
iPhone for sale

Started by Mmm on Classifieds - Available

0 Replies
Last post August 24, 2014, 02:05:21 PM
by Mmm
exclamation
iPhone suffering in the climate

Started by hobbo on The Everything Else Area!

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2012, 11:22:25 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Excellent iPhone/iPad app for owners

Started by Mags on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2013, 11:45:27 PM
by Wendy
xx
Guide Books

Started by jer on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 08:46:57 AM
by jer

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal