Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Contemporary Homewares?  (Read 4891 times)

Offline elainecris

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Contemporary Homewares?
« on: January 26, 2010, 02:06:04 PM »
Hello again all, Many thanks to those who got in touch about things to do on rainy days in Kalkan. As ever, Kalkan came through for us and actually we had pretty good weather for most of our recent trip. The build of our apartment is going well and so now we find ourselves with another query, as ever, any help very gratefully received! Could anyone please let us know where we can get stylish, contemporary homewares at reasonable prices? Our apartment comes furnished with wonderful, minimalist pieces. However, we need to put all of the homewares (eg crockery, cutlery, knives, pots and pans, glasses, towels, linen etc etc) in. At home in the UK we would just head straight for Ikea and do it in one trip but having checked the website, the closest Ikea in turkey is Izmir (450km away). When we were in Kalkan last week we looked at Kelebek and whilst the homewares looked good, it would be pretty pricey to buy everything we need in one go. Can anyone help with any ideas? We are back to take over the apartment in May would be happy to drive as far as Antalya if we could get what we want at a decent price. As ever, many thanks to anyone who can help. Kindest regards, Elaine and Cris

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4975.0

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
Re: Contemporary Homewares?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 02:23:13 PM »
Hi,
We used a shop on the road into Fethiye between the market and the fish market on the left hand side. They had most things. We bought our towels, dishcloths etc. at the market itself. All worked out a lot cheaper than in Kalkan. There are a lot of electrical outlets in and around the fish market. We also note that Ergun at the NEED shop in Kalkan will do an IKEA shop for you. I don't know, however what he charges!
Rx 

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »
Hi, we recently bought from Ikea using Ergun at the NEED shop on Kalamar Road. It was a very good and fast service though of-course you have to pay for his services and for the transport - in our case it was worth it. It took about 4 days from the order to the delivery to our apt in Kalkan. The catalogue is the same as or v v close to the one here in the UK so you could always make your selections and then email the details.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 06:37:29 PM »
It's a good idea to use a local supplier for crockery, glasses, etc as you can replace individual items without too much trouble when you have breakages. If you go up from the town to the traffic lights by the petrol station and then go straight across towards Akbel on the right a short distance up the road there is quite a large shop which sells crockery, cutlery and other household things.  It has things such as plastic chairs, mops and brushes, BBQs, etc outside.

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 07:14:44 PM »
Hi
I agree with Kalkan regular, there is a nice kitchen shop up in Akbel.
There are also some good pieces (plates, cups etc) in the market about 100 yards in on the left. Watch you pay a reasonable price though!
Em
Em

Offline DawnT

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »
Hi
Try the Thursday Market, theres is a stall half way down on the left, he does all white crockery and good glassware.
Handy if anything breaks!
Dawn

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:20:55 PM »
Yes if you buy one of the well known brands such as Gural you can then get it at most good shops

Offline JaneN

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 06:15:56 AM »
Hi

I know this is an older post now, but thought this link might be useful for people. We've moved to Kalkan recently, and were lucky enough to spend a couple of weeks in Istanbul first, where you can get LOTS of nice homeware stuff.
We came across a great shop called 'Esse', who also have a website, where you can order items, and if the value of your order is over 300 TL, they will deliver free. They do all kinds of kitchen and other housey things, all nice, modern designs. They have great saucepan sets for reasonable prices, for example. We bought a load of things, and had them shipped down from Istanbul, but as I said, you can order online. NB - the site is in Turkish, but if you just keep clicking on the different options, you can soon work out what's what. Re ordering - if you don't have a kindly Turkish friend who will do this for you, then Levent, my (Turkish!) husband would be happy to help. He lived in the UK with me for 6 years, so is fluent in English....

Here's the link:
http://www.esse.com.tr/Mutfak.aspx

Offline elainecris

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 10:55:42 PM »
Hi All, I would really urge you to see JaneN's post above and check out the website she suggests - It is fabulous!! If you use Google, check out the toolbar, there is an autotranslate option which you can set to automatically translate any Turkish website to English. A couple of points though......The translation is literal, word for word so occasionally seems a little "random". Also, when looking at shopping sites, the prices change to a £ sign but the amounts of money do not ie 100TL becomes £100, clearly this is just a gremlin in the way the programme translates not a reflection of some new interest rate changes!!!  HUGE thanks to Jane again for such a fab recommendation!

Elaine.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 04:08:21 AM »
Esse have a shop in Fethiye now - it's right opposite Carrafour in the centre

Offline JaneN

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 08:01:43 PM »
Ooh thanks, Kevincat, will have to check it out next time we are in Fethiye!

Offline bobibag

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 01:10:45 PM »
Does Esse sell bed linen and/or can anyone recommend
somewhere in Kalkan, maybe Thursday market, I'm looking for some flat and fitted white king size sheets. :-\ 

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »
Hi
No Esse does not sell linens
The best place we have found is the Tuesday market in Fethiye in the Turkish part on the right hand side of the market [the side furthest from the canal]
We paid 10 TL last year for lovely cotton king size flat / fitted sheets and 1 TL for pillowcases

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan at night

Views: 2777
By: zros
Another Kalkan street