Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Alternatives to Kalkan  (Read 22629 times)

Offline dshiels

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
Alternatives to Kalkan
« on: December 24, 2009, 11:02:38 AM »
First of all, Merry Christmas to everyone.

My wife and I are in the process of planning our holidays next year, one of which will be back to Kalkan.   We spent four weeks in Kalkan last year (two in June, two in September) and rather than do the same this year we would like to stay somewhere else for one of the trips.

Being from Northern Ireland, flight choices are limited but I have noticed that Antalya airport is now an option as well as Dalaman and Bodrum. 

Is there anywhere else that is like Kalkan that people can recommend?  We are looking for somewhere quaint, authentic with good restaurants and a nice beach nearby (no nightclubs, english breakfasts etc).  Basically another Kalkan, but possibly somewhere quieter with boutique type hotels.

I know I am probably asking in the wrong forum, but everyone here has been very helpful in the past and I would really love some suggestions to help us as brochures are often very misleading.

Many thanks

Darren

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4865.0

Offline kalkan kitty

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Alternatives to Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 01:16:11 PM »
I too, want a break from Kalkan and I would also be interested to know of any places with the same description given by dsheils.

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 04:00:43 PM »
For me Dalyan is similar to Kalkan but on the flat.  It is on a river overlooking wonderful rock tombs.  Fly to Dalaman and it is a short drive North from there. Next year we are hoping to spend a week in Dalyan and two weeks in Kalkan - our seventh visit to Kalkan. Plenty of info on the Net about Dalyan.
Regards and happy Christmas to all
Tyros

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 06:10:38 PM »
We liked Dalyan as Tyros says near to Dalaman so no tedious transfer ..but we found the Mozzies a BIG!  BIG!  problem being situated by the river(others have said the same)..nice beach..but it's not in my opinion as nice as Patara ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 10:42:25 AM »
Have a look at Gocek. I know a few people who holiday there, and it sounds a bit like Kalkan but without the hills.. :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 03:02:33 PM »
Hi Darren,
Did not think Gocek was that nice. Not the same atmosphere and very flat. Thought about flying into Antalya, from Belfast and working our way up to Kalkan, as there are supposed to be some nice little places to visit on the way.
Leaving tomorrow for a week and will see if the locals can help!
Rx

Offline dshiels

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 06:35:57 PM »
Been looking at different places over Christmas but to be honest I can't find anywhere that ticks all the boxes like Kalkan so I guess I'm going to have another two trips there this year!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 06:46:04 PM »
A wise decision...3 cheers for that man!!!..Hip hip..Hooooray..hip hip ..Hooooray..Hip hip ....Hoooray!! ;)

Offline kensarrived

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • Frequent visitor to Kalkan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 09:58:01 PM »
Hi Darren & a Merry Christmas to you.

Like yourself we are looking for an alternative to Kalkan this year having spent the last 8 years there and no doubt many more. For an authentic Turkish feel try Datca and the surrounding Bozburun peninsula. To really appreciate the area I would reccommend a car to visit various historical sites and the wonderful beaches etc. Try visiting the web site "Hidden datca" for a tour of the area and one of the best boutique hotels in Turkey The Mehmet Ali Mansion, although there are one or two others depending on your budget. Try it you won't be disappointed especially with the many restaurants in the area.

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 10:15:37 AM »
Why not look at some of the villages on the Bodrum peninsula? Places such as Yahsi and Bitez (adjacent villages) have plenty of restaurants, are sea front villages with beaches which attract plenty of Turkish tourists each year. Should you wish to visit Bodrum (approx 13 km from Yahsi, Bitez is nearer), there is a frequent dolmus service that runs late in to the night so no need for pricey taxis.

Offline rosarioguy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 05:29:38 AM »
If you fly into antayla and drive to kalkan why not stop at olympos, chimaera and stay at Adrasan where they have fantastic restaurants on the river, even prettier than saklikent. I know and English couple with a boutique hotel there that is lovely if you are interested. Its called The Ottoman Palace. They arrange walking tours all over the area as well. Then you could move on to kekova and stay on the bit you can only get to by boat..cant remember the name.

Offline yarmites

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 09:24:02 PM »
We are having a change from Kalkan this year and going to Gumusluk.  Has anyone information on this area?  Thanks.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 09:51:14 PM »
Is this the one on the Bodrum Peninsula??

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 07:01:59 AM »
Ok Devil's advocat ........

Is Kalkan a bit like the King's New Clothes?
You can get English breakfast in many of the restaurants, some of the bars (Chocolate, Mojito) are no different to /smaller than the clubs in Marmaris's bar street. It only has a small pebble beach & it's not an authentic Turkish town, it's a resort. Actually it's known elsewhere as the English village.

What it is is a product that delivers what many people want from their holidays, and for that it is to be commended.

You won't find anyway the same, but you may find other places you like as much or more for different reasons.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 09:02:29 AM »
I couldn't agree more.....Kalkan does what it does very well. the reason we are coming back this summer is that we have struggled to find somewhere else that would suit everyone in the family. We get excellent restaurants, beautiful views/sea/surroundings and our daughters who have been with us with various teenage friends get all those things but a safe environment to ventur out at night.....which they did from age 15 upwards. This will probably be our last family jaunt to Kalkan (with one daughter and boyfriend in tow) so although I'm sure we will return at some point it probably won't be for our main holiday as there is a big wide world out there to explore. Now we just need to start looking for places we love as much.................. :angel:

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 09:04:47 AM »
ps. where are Chocolate and Mojito?......don't think my daughter has discovered them yet!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 10:16:28 AM »
Chocolate is the old "No Name bar" and Mojito is next to bar code..you can see it from the Moonlight bar.....i'm sure the kiddiewinkles will know!! ;)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »
They've missed a major trick here by calling it 'Bar Chocolate' and not t'other way around.  It's also now at the bottom of one of the steepest new roads in central Kalkan.  Good luck to them all

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 02:48:01 PM »
You can also take a "short cut" to bar chocolate,just across the street from Ali Babas(soup kitchen) take the steps down and across the little market and you are at chocolate,or if you head out of the old town towards bar code,you can walk straight into it.
it saves falling up and down heart attack hill !  ;D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »
Last time I was going up that way past Mojito etc, one of the wooden steps up towards No Name/Chocolate was missing, a nice little surprise after dark!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Alternatives to Turkey and Kalkan

Started by Alfaman on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 05:00:48 AM
by kris kadin
xx
Kalkan Alternatives - Split from anything bad about Kalk

Started by Kim on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 02:10:59 PM
by ginger1
xx
Alternatives to Thomas Cook

Started by dshiels on Flights and Travel

8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 10:25:17 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan dog

Views: 3634
By: saskia
Sunset over Kalkan