Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: another amazing Kalkan holiday...  (Read 3446 times)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
another amazing Kalkan holiday...
« on: October 12, 2009, 02:19:57 PM »
Hi all.  Am v depressed, having just returned from Kalkan in the small hours  :'(.  Our 3rd visit, and it just keeps on getting better and better.  Stayed at an apartment in the Dere development - so handy for everything, especially now the Adda supermarket has opened.

Weather was incredible, with a full moon making a silver path across the sea...heaven.  One cloudy/wet day, but happily it was the day we'd booked to go with Ali on his boat Zeus, and he found the sun for us!  The day only cost 150TL for the 4 of us, and we didn't get back to the harbour until after 6pm.  I tried spear fishing with Ali - I didn't catch anything, but Ali - swimming and diving like a fish himself - managed to catch us some fish to be added to the fabulous lunchtime barbecue. 

Restaurants - a highlight as always, and still yet to have a bad meal.  Our favourite remains Coast - we like Omer & llhan very much - their drive and enthusiasm and commitment to excellence is wonderful.  The move to the Gironda is very successful. We loved having pre and post dinner drinks in the courtyard - my new drink of choice being raspberry vodka and freshly squeezed pomegranate juice - yum - and as pomegranate is a superfood, it was in fact a health drink  :angel:  Cannot wait to see what they do with the Jasmine Garden next year as the Coast brand deservedly expands!  We also loved Baharat (where Arena used to be).  Lovely food, reasonably priced and excellent service.  Salt and Pepper was ok - food was good and waiters lovely, but the owner (we presumed) was ordering the staff to move tables around, and talking loudly on his mobile all evening, ruining the atmosphere, and the staff were definitely on edge.  It wasn't busy and we didn't bother going back in case the owner was hanging around again - shame as we loved it last year.  We also at long last tried the Olive Garden - loved it.  We also went to the Sun Terrace - which we discovered is owned by Ali's (of Zeus) family.  Simple food, delicious and very good price.  We also went to Kosk - another favourite - but where has George Hamilton IV's brother gone?  Wasn't the same without him!  Was disappointed with Ozalp, a previous favourite.  Found the service not too good, and the prices were top-end and not worth it.  The Tavuk sac kavurma I always had there was no where near as good as last year.  We also hugely missed Norman and his side kick...didn't see him anywhere so presume he's not in Kalkan this year, which is a shame.  Had lunch at Akins - amazing value - and what's with the posh new chairs? I liked the lurid green plastic ones  :laugh:  We ended many evenings at Yali bar, watching the world go by...

We saw fewer dogs and cats than last year - maybe because of where we were staying, and at first hardly recognised Tango the swimming retriever with his posh new haircut!  No loud music, no troubles anywhere.  Just perfect!

Kalkan is a little piece of heaven - as soon as we arrived we felt the tension and stress fade away...if I could bottle and sell that Kalkan magic I could buy a villa and retire there!

Now, off to check flights and owner's direct to book next year's visit!

As always, thanks to this wonderful forum for the brilliant advice - esp Lantana for getting me Ali's phone number - and for providing me with my "Kalkan fix" as I count the months until our next visit...

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4559.0

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
Re: another amazing Kalkan holiday...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:25:08 PM »
Nice report Rachey! :)

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 04:49:48 PM »
Great report,and I know what you mean about Tango,I didnt see him in may and aug,thought he had gone to the kennel in the sky,but saw him on the beach last week and knew it was him,he looks like a puppy with his trim !  ;D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 05:09:24 PM »
Linda at Abi travel told us that Tango had to have some treatment earlier in the year - amongst other things his coat was really matted and he had tics.  Bless him - they had to keep him from swimming for weeks while his skin healed - can you imagine - poor Tango!  Well worth it now as he looks v handsome  O0

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 05:16:29 PM »
Its great to see him again,and he is back to his old self with his ball or a plastic bottle,a really nice dog and a face of Kalkan. :) ;D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 05:43:44 PM »
Nice to see some positive reports coming from visitors to Kalkan..i was beginning to think there was another Kalkan? :-\
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 06:24:45 PM »
There are two more.  Perhaps others are talking about the one in Diyarbakir?

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 08:59:37 PM »
Rachey

George Hamilton IV was at Kosk late September but he's dyed his hair black!

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 05:29:07 PM »
Thanks for solving the mystery, Kalkanfan!  We saw a chap we thought was George, but his hair was the wrong colour...never crossed our minds that he would dye his distinguished grey locks  ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Amazing holiday in Kalkan

Started by surreydinks on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post November 02, 2009, 06:01:48 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Whisper Boat - Wonderful day out with amazing food

Started by chrissy1 on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

7 Replies
Last post July 26, 2013, 12:09:42 AM
by Christina
grin
Our first Kalkan holiday

Started by Caspar9 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 11:41:59 AM
by BarbH
xx
kalkan holiday

Started by johnl on Holiday Reports and Reviews

14 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 10:59:27 PM
by johnl

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

cafe

Views: 4174
By: irfan
Omars 20/9/07