Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Is it safe to pack a laptop in a suitcase?  (Read 7134 times)

Offline butterfly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Is it safe to pack a laptop in a suitcase?
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:36:19 AM »
I'm afraid I booked a flight with Thomson before I read the small print about their baggage allowance.  Be warned everybody this information is well hidden and, in fact, when I booked I thought I would be allowed to take two suitcases for only an extra £18.  You can but do this but your baggage allowance doesn't increase from 20 kilos.  Since most suitcases weigh between 4-6 kilos this really isn't much help and they won't allow any individual suitcase to weigh more than 23 kilos.  Its costs £17.50 for the extra 3 kilos.  In additional, they only allow 5 kilos of handbaggage in a single bag and that includes laptops.   

I don't think I am going to be able to keep under the 5 kilo limit if I carry my laptop. If I packed the laptop in my hard suitcase padded all around with clothes, do you think it would survive?

I do hope there is somebody who can advise me.  I fly tomorrow.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4518.0

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Is it safe to pack a laptop in a suitcase?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 09:57:50 AM »
It will be fine inside a laptop case in your suitcase, just make sure your insurance covers you.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 09:59:21 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Have you seen the way they throw those cases around? Plus the suitcases spend four hours in an unpressurised, freezing-cold hold in the aircraft. 

We decided to leave my laptop at home last visit, for exactly the same reason!

Offline streety

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 10:00:27 AM »
I personally wouldn't pack a laptop in my suitcase as it is very likely your case will be thrown around by baggage personnel.  Also, if it is damaged you will have to claim through your travel insurance - does that cover a broken laptop that has not been secured properly?
Thomson are really strict on hold baggage allowance. We were once pulled up over 1.5 kilos over.  Just to be as difficult as them, we stood and unpacked the case selecting which addtional items of clothing we would like to wear rather than put in the case, with a huge queue behind us - the check-in lady was not best pleased - shame!
I have never had my hand baggage checked, maybe someone else has? I would go with putting the laptop with hand baggage and putting as little as poss in with it.  Once through customs you can purchase any small extras you need both in the airport or when you get to Kalkan

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »
Personally I wouldn't. One of our cases didn't arrive in Kalkan on our September trip.  :'( Took 4 days to get it back!! The panic and hassle was horrendous. And, on checking our insurance, we were covered for a max of £2k for lost luggage, yet only £200 per individual item and this was a premium policy. So do check, as you may not be covered. 

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 10:57:08 AM »
I'd also take it on as hand luggage. Anything you want as hand luggage could be put in your case presumably? Laptops can be a bit fragile and if you look at how suitcases are thrown around by baggage handlers then definitely not worth the risk

Offline butterfly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 10:59:47 AM »
Thank you very much everybody for your prompt advice.

Tog Meister,(sorry I should have said Brooksie) although I'd love to take yours, I've gone with the majority opinion. 

By the way, Streetie, that was a fantastic ruse and if I get pulled up over an extra half kilo or so, I'm going to do the same as you and put the clothes on.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:36:13 PM by butterfly »

Offline Pauline

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 10:17:07 AM »
When buying a suitcase I ALWAYS check the weight - there can be such a difference.   I also have to admit that  - when I have a lot of things to bring out- i have used one of those laundry bags which weigh nothing!!   I know they don't look too elegant but I get over that when I think of the extra weight I can carry.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
suitcase

Started by pasha on Classifieds - Wanted

5 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 07:23:10 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
laptop connection

Started by kalkancrazy on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 10:27:09 PM
by Brooksie
xx
Laptop internet via a mobile

Started by turkeyfan on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 04:57:20 PM
by Vieux con
xx
What to pack?

Started by SarahLou on General Discussion

28 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 02:56:30 PM
by amberpop

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal