Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: 5 or 6 hours to kill in Istanbul-suggestions please ??  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Adidasfish

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
We have 5 or 6 hours to kill between flights on 18 September - we're arriving Istanbul at 17:30 and our Dalaman flight doesn't depart until 23:55.

We're hoping that, come the date, we may be able to get on an earlier flight (they're all full at the moment) and get to Kalkan at a reasonable hour.

But if not, can anyone recommend a decent restaurant near to the airport we could visit to kill a bit of time? (It's either that or spending the whole 5 hours drinking overpriced Efes in the 'North Star' pub in the domestic airport) ::).
Any suggestions of how to pass the time between flights will be welcomed!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4205.0
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 09:34:46 PM by Adidasfish »

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: 5 or 6 hours to kill in Istanbul-suggestions please ??
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:13:26 AM »
Normally as 'in transit' passengers you are not meant to leave the airport. Having said that I have taken the Havas bus into Taksim where there are numerous restaurants.
From memory the journey took 20-30 mins & cost in 10tl one way.
See this link for more details http://www.havas.com.tr/en/otobus_istanbul_ahl.asp

You can also get the metro from the airport http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/Maps/ist_metro_map.html
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 07:19:56 AM by Mercimek »

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:39:49 AM »
At peak rush hour time on the end of Ramazan/start of Seker Bayram holiday weekend, you might be taking a big risk trying to go anywhere too far from the airport area.  I've known the non-rush hour 30-40 minute journey turn into 2 hours of interminable traffic jam, so do keep that in mind.

But if you are looking for a really good restaurant near the airport, try Beyti at Orman Caddesi 8, Florya. (http://www.beyti.com.tr/). It's where the Istanbullu choose to go themselves and it's about 10-15 mins from the airport. Well known to taxi drivers and probably about a 10-15 lira ride away.  Not cheap, but excellent traditional Istanbul cuisine and frequently written up in travelogues.  We've eaten there many times and always had a meal to remember.

Lantana

Offline Adidasfish

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:55:43 AM »
Many thanks for the suggestions Mercimek / Lantana.
As Lantana mentions, it's rush hour and the start of Seker Bayram holiday - which is exactly why I didn't fancy our chances trying to get into the centre of Istanbul and back. I am guessing public transport to and from the airport will be very crowded too with a lot of people on the move for the holidays.
Will have a look at the Beyti website - sounds like it could be an excellent start to the holidays! Thanks again.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
In 12 hours

Started by Pompeyalbie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2017, 11:53:47 AM
by Chris_S
xx
Favourite places to while away the hours

Started by Automan on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 05:00:49 PM
by Babs
xx
Shops opening hours

Started by alshepuk on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 09:38:44 AM
by alshepuk
xx
Must eat at restaurants list - off to Kalkan on 48 hours!

Started by rjs1974 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 04:49:00 PM
by Enişte

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal