Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan has a charm all of its own  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Pam

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Kalkan has a charm all of its own
« on: August 16, 2009, 05:31:08 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm coming to Kalkan for the last two weeks in October. It'll be my fist visit to the area, but my not my first experience of Turkish hospitality (which I have to say is outstanding). Kalkan was recommended to me by two friends, Ronnie and Sue, who spent their honeymoon there last summer. They said that 'Kalkan has a charm all of its own'. They've given me their tips for things to see and do in the area but I'm always open to more! So if you have any recommendations please let me know.
I'm counting down the weeks...!
Ella41

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4132.0

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
Re: Kalkan has a charm all of its own
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 05:36:34 PM »
Hi Ella
Welcome to the forum. Tell us what you would like to know and we will do our best to help you.

Offline Pam

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 10:00:46 PM »
Thanks Joan.

This forum is one of the best I've seen. I'm interested in finding out more about the history of St Nicholas for a feature, do you have any tips on where I might find out more information? I'm planning on visiting the Church of St. Nicholas - Myra church - and going to Patara, where he is said to have been born. I've checked the info on the web and done research in books, but it would be great if there was more local information on the subject.

Ella

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 10:12:20 PM »
Thanks for those kind comments Ella,
Our wonderful members have a wealth of information on Kalkan and even better are willing to share it. :laugh:
Regarding Myra, and Patara, if you go to the Main EK webpage and click on "places to visit near Kalkan", you will find information on them.
Also havea good look through the many threads on the  "Places to visit/things to do Section" which is full of info and good ideas.
Joan

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 10:28:27 PM »
Hi ella41, If when you arrive in kalkan you visit a cafe called 'the kalkan park' It;s easy to find near to barbeque breeze, and ask to speak to Tricia Emptage, she is there most days,  otherwise the staff will let you know when she'll be in, she has written a really good book called the 'road to ruins' which is an easy to read guide to western lycia, it explains the history and various archaeological sites and contains practical information about visiting each of them. She has extensive knowledge of lycian turkey and will gladly talk to you about any of the local sites and other places of interest, simply pop in.
   Hope you have a lovely stay
         K
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 08:23:01 AM »
I found a copy of Tricia's book in Dalaman airport, it had been left on a chair in the departure loung, its a great read, with lots of interesting and helpful info in it.....maybe a good idea is to be able to buy it through EK ?

I'm sure lots of people would be interested  ??? >:D ???
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 08:26:02 AM »
Yes - I can second those comments - Tricia's book is fab and if you cant get hold of a copy before you get to kalkan - then go to the Kalkan park cafe as soon as you get to Kalkan and buy a copy from her as you will get soooo much more out of reading this book as you go around the various lycian sites.  I have nearly finished reading it now - but I will take it with me when I revisit these wonderful sites and I know I will get so much more out my visits with the detailed insights in Tricia's book!

Enjoy!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Pam

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 09:28:38 PM »
Thanks for the fantastic tips everyone. Tricia's book sounds great. I read the review on the Turkish news website so I'll definitely be investing in it when I get to Kalkan and hopefully I'll be able to meet her too.

Ella

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Breathing in on Yildiz 2

Views: 2876
By: pw

Views: 4707