Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Citronella candles.  (Read 3174 times)

Offline clara48

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Citronella candles.
« on: August 10, 2009, 08:08:43 PM »
I know from previous visits to Kalkan you can easily purchase insect repellent but I didn't notice if or where they sold citronella candles. Took some out with us last time and they did help to keep the mossies at bay when we were outside in the evening. For some reason I've been having trouble buying them over here so thought I'd leave it and get them over there if I can. Thanks!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4086.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Citronella candles.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 09:10:13 PM »
Clara, we used to buy citronella candles in the supermarkets in Kalkan, but when we were there in July, we couldn't get them anywhere ???
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline paulie1955

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 09:54:41 PM »
scientifically, citronella is far less effective than deet. Paul

Offline Eljhem

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 06:44:16 AM »
Yes, but smells nicer. :)

Offline clara48

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 08:09:52 AM »
Might sound a bit thick Paulie but can you actually get candles with Deet, I thought is was some sort of insecticide chemical? I know my mossie repellent contains deet, it's been a bit hit and miss for us though used the same stuff last year were fine got bitten to bits this year even though we changed the brand when the other one didn't work. Used the citronella oil you can buy there for the last few days and it seemed to work either that or the mossies got sick of us and went in search of tastier victims  >:D. Think it's just probably the luck of the draw really!

Offline kele

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 05:53:35 PM »
As an alternative we've been using Citronella essential oil in a burner with real success. Dissolve a few drops in some water and put it one of those burners with a tea light. We brought the oil with us, but I bet you you'll find citronella oils somewhere in town. I'm also told Lavender oil works the same way
You know who really gives kids a bad name? Posh and Becks

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 06:35:15 PM »
I think we got citronella candles last year from the hardwear shop at the side of the Atlantis.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 06:41:41 PM »
Go onto  www.amazon.co.uk   click on kitchen and home,tap in citronella candles in search bar,Bobs your uncle!! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 08:11:56 PM »
You can buy little oil lamps and citronella scented oil for them. I bought mine in Yali.... helpful if the electric goes off at night too.

Offline paulie1955

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 09:32:47 PM »
I saw a programme on TV where they tested various stuff to see what was most effective in deterring mozzies. They r initially attracted by CO2 from our breath ( no jokes about alcohol!) They then home in on other smells. If they dont like the smell they buzz off! Deet lasted several hours. Citronella 20 mins. I find whatever I use, I still get bitten, but after the first couple of days the bites dont react so badly. Insidently--mozzies are nectar eaters . Its only the female who needs the blood from us for her babies!!  Nice.  Have any of you tried those electric zappers you use after you have been bitten?  I have--and they do help stop the itching!Paul

Offline clara48

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 10:51:19 PM »
Thanks all, for your advise. Mr Lizard I looked on Amazon and yes there's lots of citronella candles etc there up for grabs, cheers!
Great Mozzie info Paul. We've also got one of those bite zappers and they do help ease the itching. We also tried an after bite pen we bought in the supermarket there but boy did it sting brought tears to your eyes. Probably was due to it containing ammonia. Think after using that the itching was preferable!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 12:38:58 PM »
Joan, did you purchase your lamps and oil from Yali this year? We certainly scoured the shelves for anything resembling a citronella candle, oil or burners when we were there last month to no avail. We wear the deet, but like the extra protection and ambience of the candlelight when sitting out on the balcony at night. I've got some citronella tea lights to bring over when we're back in October, but it did seem strange that we couldn't buy anything like that in Kalkan this year.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 08:53:31 PM »
No, I bought the oil in June and the replacement lamp last September.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Citronella candles

Started by Lynne T on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

10 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 03:24:07 PM
by muckyones

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal