Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: ATMs  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Hotspur57

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
ATMs
« on: July 10, 2009, 11:06:52 PM »
Never been to Turkey before. Am I right in thinking that the ATMs in Turkey are exactly the same as the ATMs elsewhere in Europe?  8)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3844.0

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: ATMs
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 06:46:17 AM »
Yes and lots in Kalkan ;D

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:32:50 AM »
There is one very big difference. In the UK, when you have made your transaction, you retrieve your card before you receive your cash, so there is little possibility of forgetting your card.

In Turkish ATMs your cash is given first, there is then an on-screen prompt asking if you want to make any other transactions, only after you have responded to this does your card come back.  Many people unfamiliar with these ATMs take their cash and forget their card.

At the bank where we have an account, each Monday morning in the tourist season, they retrieve over twenty British credit cards which have been left in the machine.

With credit card fraud now prevalent in Kalkan it is important to remember to retrieve your card.

Lantana

Offline BearsdenTony

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:39:58 AM »
It is advice such as the above that makes forums such as this, well, priceless!
Before I forget...many, many thanks.
Tony.

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:43:10 AM »
I had to try a few machines yesterday as they said in a very very swift message on screen that my bank (Nationwide) was not recognising my details.  I have since rectified this but noticed, as Lantana says, that things happen in a different order to the UK - Garanti Banka gives the receipt first, then cash, then card.  The card slots often seem reluctant to release the cards and they slide out quite slowly.

In my view, if you take the same precautions as you would at home, you should be fine.  I have seen so many people standing in the street, with wallet, cards and cash fully on show to any passer-by.  Always try to put things away as soon as you are finished with them and certainly don''t do what I saw yesterday - a young girl with the entıre contents of her handbag spread all over the area around the ATM keypad.  Take your wallet out, card out, then put your wallet back safely in your pocket, then the receipt ın your pocket.  Count your cash, being sure to check who is near you and then put that away.  Fınally, put your card away in your pocket.  Once you get home or somewhere quieter, then you can put your bits back into the wallet and sort your notes etc.

One more thing - mind the canopy at Yapi Kredi - if you are over 6 feet tall, it can give you a nasty dent!

Other than that, come on you Spurs!!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Airport ATMs

Started by Possums on Money & Finance

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:08:25 PM
by Possums
xx
lira, pounds or use ATMs

Started by leeh on Money & Finance

6 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 05:38:54 PM
by chunky
xx
Do ATMs accept mastercard?

Started by beckie on Money & Finance

6 Replies
Last post August 17, 2011, 10:47:22 AM
by Lymmguineas
xx
Can I use my debit card in the ATMs

Started by AlbionFan on Money & Finance

11 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 12:44:11 PM
by hobbo

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal