Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Our highs and lows  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Del119

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Our highs and lows
« on: June 18, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »
Hi All

Just got back from Kalkan, having had a superb 10 days. Some places are never the same when you go back, but Kalkan just seems to get better and better! ;D

I just thought we''d share some of our restaurant experiences.

Our number one this year has to be Nar. What a fantastic place - yes it''s at the higher end price wise, but really excellent food with great service and a fabulous atmosphere. There''s a chap called Mustafa who runs front of house - he''s a really friendly guy, always able to get you a good table and nothing was too much trouble. All the team at Nar are really friendly people, and what''s more they don''t slap you with a 10% S.C, but let the service speak for itself, allowing you to tip accordingly.

Close behind Nar were Aubergine, Trio and Kosk. All served really good food, which was superbly cooked and presented. The service in all of these was really good to.

Our one surprising disappointment this year was IBO. We went there on our first night with the expectation of a really good time, but unfortunately the food was just OK but not great. Also we noticed that you now don''t get any vegetables with your main course - all of these are now extra, which means it''s quite a bit more expensive than it''s rivals.

When the bill arrived, my initial reaction was that it was quite high. I tried to quickly go through it but the waiter was hovering over me and kept standing next to me, just like he was waiting for me to hand over the cash. In hindsight, I should have politely asked him to give me a few minutes while I got the calculator out to through it in detail, but it had been a long day travelling etc, and frankly, we spend enough time scrutinizing bills etc at home, to not want to have to do it on holiday. Having worked it out afterwards, we reckon that we were overcharged to the tune of 100+tl - hey-ho, we live and learn! >:(

I think the real shame of it was that I then checked and double checked every bill and money transaction in detail for the rest of the holiday, something you should probably do anyway I hear you say, and yes, you''re right!. Its just not something I''ve ever felt the need to do before in Kalkan. Needles to say, we shall not be going back to IBO.

Happy hols, Del

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3709.0

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Our highs and lows
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »
Wow a 100TL overcharge and you didn''t notice it  :(

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:58:10 AM »
Your comments about IBO match our experience last year (although we weren''t actually overcharged) the food was ok rather than great and the prices high - cetainly it had fallen well behind places like the Olive Tree and Rendevous.

Alan

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:48:51 AM »
The boys from IBO have seen the comments and were naturally disappointed, both about the bill problems and the views on their food.  I am confident that they will endeavour to address the points raised (sorry, that last bland phrase is the ex-civil servant in me speaking).  Let,s hope they succeed.

We had to query a bill last week at a restaurant down by the harbour - we had ordered wine but had to wait for 5 mins and then remind a different waiter.  Perhaps this caused two bottles to appear on our bill, an error which was rapidly and apologetically sorted out.  Just to show that something like your situation could happen easily and I would be surprised if you would cause any upset by highlighting an error or even asking to speak to the manager.

Offline alshepuk

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 12:57:10 PM »
I hope this doesn''t give IBO a bad name.  It is one on our list to revisit when we go back (just 7 days to go).  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 05:00:39 PM by alshepuk »

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:08:44 PM »
al

Am I misreading this or did you mean you hope it ''doesn''t'' give IBO a bad name?  Two slightly less than positive reviews amongst many good ones before - it always amazes me how different peoples'' experiences can vary so much with a particular restaurant almost from day to day!  I hope you will indeed give them another try.  I am delighted still to be able to say that I have never had a bad meal in Kalkan (except our attempt at BBQing at home last week). Hope to meet you next week.  I''ll hopefully be in Vesta just across and up from IBO
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:32:47 PM by EniÅŸte »

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 02:38:40 PM »
Del119,I hope you went back to Ibo for your 100tl,thats about £40 they over charged you,enough for ANOTHER meal !  :o >:D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 04:08:06 PM »
I hope this does give IBO a bad name.  It is one on our list to revisit when we go back (just 7 days to go). 
alshepuk
I think you might want to modify your post ;)
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »
al

Am I misreading this or did you mean you hope it ''''doesn''''t'''' give IBO a bad name?  Two slightly less than positive reviews amongst many good ones before - it always amazes me how different peoples'''' experiences can vary so much with a particular restaurant almost from day to day!  I hope you will indeed give them another try.  I am delighted still to be able to say that I have never had a bad meal in Kalkan (except our attempt at BBQing at home last week). Hope to meet you next week.  I''''ll hopefully be in Vesta just across and up from IBO

EniÅŸte

I think before is the point. we have had a number of very good meals at IBO of the past few years, but last year we went twice and were a bit dissapointed both times. It wasn''t bad, just not as good as it used to be and quite a bit more expensive. 

Alan

Offline alshepuk

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 05:01:45 PM »
Posting changed.  I definitely do not want them getting a bad name.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 08:00:18 PM »
Why should you alter your post...if you had a bad experience then share it with everyone lets not sugar coat things.....

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 07:56:20 AM »
Perhaps so that it actually says what he clearly meant to say?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 08:52:56 AM by EniÅŸte »

Offline alshepuk

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 12:29:34 PM »
Thats correct I did originally say does instead of doesn''t

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kapsa Spring Fair

Views: 2973
By: saskia
Meis