Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: 1st timers return today  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Juj

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
1st timers return today
« on: June 19, 2009, 09:00:21 PM »
Got back this morning (boo hoo)from our first fantastic trip to Turkey and Kalkan. What can I say ? All the information I picked up from this brilliant site was so spot on. We felt we already knew so much about the place,so it was less daunting when we arrived.

FLIGHT
Our Pegasus flight from Manchester was a little late(half hour max), but we soon made the time up. After a pretty eventless flight we arrived at Dalaman 6:30 and easily collected our luggage without the usual rugby scrum. Would use them again.

CAR HIRE
We`d "booked" in the loosest terms ie an e-mail with our basic arrival details with Enes car hire based in Kalkan. A guy met us and took us to a car into which he loaded our luggage. With his limited English and our non-existent Turkish we were unsure if he was taking us to a local office to book in and collect our car, when it became apparent this was our car. But we`d not paid. He rang the office where I spoke to a lady who said not to worry and pop into the office during our stay and pay then. We were amazed as we drove off in our "free" car. What trust they had shown in us. The map they`d left us was OK but with the info from the EK site we managed to get to Kalkan by 9:30. BEWARE mopeds on the 400 route that did not use any lights. Horror. I was spotter and 2nd pair of eyes for OH.

APT
We`d booked an apt on Kalamar Rd and their directions needed more detail / better landmarks for us 1st timers arriving in the dark. We stopped to ask directions and "Kaptan" phoned a few friends to help pinpoint the  whereabouts of our apts. He was the first Kaklan character  we met. What a kind man as he patiently sent us on our way and yes he gave us his business card  and made sure we knew he had a boat  and we`d be welcome aboard. As we only had a week we didn`t make it, maybe net time. Moving on and upwards literally we pulled up again to ask for further directions and hey bingo we`d arrived. No sign tho outside the apts but 2 chaps nodding furiously affirming this was our apt. Hesitantly we got out and shook hands, what lovely old fashioned manners. Our apt was excellent and the town`s twinkling lights were magical. Great location ,very peaceful we were not disappointed with our choice.

1 WEEK IS NOT ENOUGH

We visited The Olive Tree for a  celebration meal and were made to feel very special. Will return again. We enjoyed the Nar. We visited Chops in Islamar (3 attempts to get there but what an adventure) lamb was so tender. The views beautiful, well worth the trip.We went to Patara Beach and saw the fantastic ruins. We were surprised that there were only about 5 of us visiting this  archaeological site.Only 5TL per adult to park and visit. During 1 (unsuccessful) trip to try and find Chops we kinda went to Kas (I said we had a few adventures). This is a pretty little harbour with lots of restaurants and cobbled streets selling similar items as in Kalkan. Old wooden balconies with beautiful flowers festooned the buildings. We were glad we`d missed our turning !! What with lots of sunbathing/ relaxing /odd walks into town / very quaffable Efes (for OH) and I did enjoy the Angorra, despite being a little perturbed by some posts about the quality of Turkish wines.
All the local people were very friendly and helpful, not at all pushy.Magical place.
Queues at Dalaman airport were silly and we only had about 15 minutes waiting to board once we`d checked in. Better signing at the airport and generally in Turkey would be helpful. quote from OH "where`s the flipping international departure terminal ?" Not good when you need to check in asap
Can`t wait to go again.
Yes we`ve got the bug ......................thank you EK for planting the seed / making it so much easier to firstly assess if this was the place we would enjoy visiting and to amass so much info.  :laugh:

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3713.0

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: 1st timers return today
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 09:07:48 PM »
Hi Juj,
Thank you for taking the time post your report. I am glad you found this site and the info from the members helpful. I hope you will continue to visit Kalkan and EnjoyKalkan.
Joan

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 11:38:31 PM »
Hi Juj,

So glad you enjoyed your first trip to Kalkan and can''t wait to return.  I always enjoy reading the holiday reports.   As you say, this site is invaluable for 1st timers and I spent hours on here before our first trip.  Even with all this information, I think we remained a little sceptical until we actually arrived in Kalkan and found the reality was everything we expected, and a whole lot more besides.  We haven''t looked back since.

Here''s to more happy holidays in Kalkan!

Alison

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »
Thanks for the sharing your report, glad you had such a good time  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
first timers

Started by scooby555 on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 05:36:33 PM
by scooby555
xx
Two Timers

Started by Sarah S on Holiday Reports and Reviews

15 Replies
Last post October 17, 2018, 07:35:42 PM
by Sarah S
recycled
1st timers

Started by skauser on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 09:37:58 AM
by skauser
xx
Ecosense Air Con timers

Started by Rosie on General Discussion

13 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 03:30:49 PM
by Rosie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal